LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Been a lurker for some time. The posting was opened on Feb 2, 2017 and I applied later that night (keep in mind I have been hounding the website every single day for the past 3 months) and received an email from HR Feb 10, 2017 the same day the posting closed at around 5:11pm being invited to the open house on Feb 23, 2017 7:30am SHARP at Hiberian Hall in Babylon. This is my 7th position I have applied to in 3 months for the LIRR and finally got a response. I actually teared up when I received the email at work because I want this so badly. For people who took the medical already, what are the vision acuity requirements they are looking for? And also, what exactly do they test medically and physically for? (If I make it that far). Looking forward to the ride (pun intended). Will keep u guys posted.

It's funny cuz I asked other ppl the same question you are asking for the previous 7 positions I have applied for. However, I truly believe that it has mostly to so with some form of luck in the sense that the qualifications are so low but the applicants are so much. It is rumoured to be in the thousands (possibly 10,000) for the Assistant Conductor position. Reason why I say this is that I am sure most people have miles long of customer service and some form of college like myself. Nothing special . Just put together a quality resume apply for every position you are qualified for and hope to get a response. I have been applying for the last 3 months and just got an email. Some other guys been applying for years to no avail.

That's weird that they are making you go all the way out to Babylon. Anyway, refer back to my long post in the first couple of pages of this thread if you want some idea of what you're in for.

Yeah we had to be there for 730 am sharp. It was a pretty large group (over 100 ). Glad to have made it through the cognitive, vocabulary, math and interview. Hoping to hear something back about next steps soon.

Edited by CT1988

Was the test difficult? 

How long did it take you?  Did they provide enough time?

Yeah we had to be there for 730 am sharp. It was a pretty large group (over 100 ). Glad to have made it through the cognitive, vocabulary, math and interview. Hoping to hear something back about next steps soon.

Hey guys,

Been a lurker for some time. The posting was opened on Feb 2, 2017 and I applied later that night (keep in mind I have been hounding the website every single day for the past 3 months) and received an email from HR Feb 10, 2017 the same day the posting closed at around 5:11pm being invited to the open house on Feb 23, 2017 7:30am SHARP at Hiberian Hall in Babylon. This is my 7th position I have applied to in 3 months for the LIRR and finally got a response. I actually teared up when I received the email at work because I want this so badly. For people who took the medical already, what are the vision acuity requirements they are looking for? And also, what exactly do they test medically and physically for? (If I make it that far). Looking forward to the ride (pun intended). Will keep u guys posted.

just curious, did you see your status change on your application on the their website? Mine just says submitted, just wondering if maybe they update the website. thanks and good luck.

Was the test difficult?

How long did it take you? Did they provide enough time?

The test was pretty straight forward. The cognitive was the most tricky imo but they do give you a decent amount of time to answer as many questions you can.

just curious, did you see your status change on your application on the their website? Mine just says submitted, just wondering if maybe they update the website. thanks and good luck.

My status still says submitted as well. I checked today to see if they'd made any changes or updates but nothing.

Hi All,

may be jumping the gun a bit here but has anyone who went to Hibernian Hall last week for the AC open house gotten their invite to the S&D overview?  I have my paperwork from going in three years ago and they sent me an invite a week later, so I'm imagining the turnaround would be fairly quick for the next class call.  Would you all be so kind as to post if/when you receive your invite so we can see how long the initial process is taking? Thanks!

Hi All,

may be jumping the gun a bit here but has anyone who went to Hibernian Hall last week for the AC open house gotten their invite to the S&D overview?  I have my paperwork from going in three years ago and they sent me an invite a week later, so I'm imagining the turnaround would be fairly quick for the next class call.  Would you all be so kind as to post if/when you receive your invite so we can see how long the initial process is taking? Thanks!

Hey,

Whats going on? I haven't received anything yet. I asked one of the HR ladies and she said that they had 2 or 3 more open houses so we have to wait for that to be over. I'd say there is about 100-125 people at each open house. I'd say at least a quarter of the people who were there were eliminated. She also said that the training program would start in about August. We should receive information about the Signals & Definitions soon.  

Hey fed,

yeah based on the last time I was called back in '13 I received an invite to the S&D overview about a week later.  did you get any sort of information regarding the open houses as far as when they all end to actually start checking our email?  So training starts in August so we're looking at S&D overview and entrance exam/panel interview prior.  those are roughly a month apart.  I've been anxiously checking my mail hoping I'm not missing anything as you only get one shot at it.  Have you gotten called before or is this your first go-round in this process?  

Hey fed,
yeah based on the last time I was called back in '13 I received an invite to the S&D overview about a week later.  did you get any sort of information regarding the open houses as far as when they all end to actually start checking our email?  So training starts in August so we're looking at S&D overview and entrance exam/panel interview prior.  those are roughly a month apart.  I've been anxiously checking my mail hoping I'm not missing anything as you only get one shot at it.  Have you gotten called before or is this your first go-round in this process?  

They said something about a class starting in Aug and September and if youre invited to take the S&D overview you'd get the materials either 3/28 with a test date of 5/2 or 4/18 with a testdate of 5/23. Im anxiously waiting for a response as well. This is my first go around and I've been applying to no avail on the website for many months. Really hoping to get that email soon. 

I'd imagine we'd hear at something by the middle of March. This is my first time in the process. I applied to about 50 jobs from December to getting this one in February. We will get the email soon everyone be patient. We should form a study group if possible to do the S&D. I'm in Nassau County if anyone is interested in doing that. 

Fed,

went through the process back in '13 but never got called after the panel interview.  scored a 98 on the entrance exam.  just make up flash cards and go through the material; it's simply rote memorization.  actually not that difficult have family and friends test you and you'll be fine.

Hello everyone,

New to the page. Been watching for a few months now. I have some questions that hopefully you guys/gals can assist with. I'm scheduled to go to the open house within the next few days. I have a Florida Drivers License. But I live here in NYC. Should I take the next few days to replace it with a NY State Drivers License? Will this decision hurt my chances of advancement or even eliminate me at the open house? Thanks for the assistance in advance. To all who are currently going through the process good luck to you all!

looks like they posted the job again today on the mta website, i wonder why. I applied again. 

does anyone know if you can get this job if you have color blindness? I am I think red green color blind, i confuse some colors but I can see color. I would not pass a Ishihara test

I beleive in the open house they said that if you have color blindness they don't eliminate you immediately they send you out to do some field test and this that and the third. So it's not an automatic dismissal.

Nah it didn't change its still blank.

3 open houses with at least 100-150 ppl per house and at the open house Linda Oliver said there are only 72 positions available.. Sigh. I can imagine how many ppl applied to the posting. Just to be invited to the open house is a task in itself much less to secure one of those 72 positions. It's like playing the lottery here. She also said you won't get rich working for the railroad but you will live a comfortable life. I honestly wish everyone the best.