LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

I beleive in the open house they said that if you have color blindness they don't eliminate you immediately they send you out to do some field test and this that and the third. So it's not an automatic dismissal.

thanks. 

I looked at these (link below) and I can obviously see the difference between the green and the red and yellows.

https://quizlet.com/79398679/lirr-signals-flash-cards/

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 open houses with at least 100-150 ppl per house and at the open house Linda Oliver said there are only 72 positions available.. Sigh. I can imagine how many ppl applied to the posting. Just to be invited to the open house is a task in itself much less to secure one of those 72 positions. It's like playing the lottery here. She also said you won't get rich working for the railroad but you will live a comfortable life. I honestly wish everyone the best.

72 positions because they are trying to do 5 classes of 22 or 24 this year. yeah it's like winning the lottery if you get in ;-) good luck to all

Sorry to ask and post the same thing again. Just trying to get some advice.

New to the page. Been watching for a few months now. I have some questions that hopefully you guys/gals can assist with. I'm scheduled to go to the open house within the next few days. I have a Florida Drivers License. But I live here in NYC. Should I take the next few days to replace it with a NY State Drivers License? Will this decision hurt my chances of advancement or even eliminate me at the open house? Thanks for the assistance in advance. To all who are currently going through the process good luck to you all!

Sorry to ask and post the same thing again. Just trying to get some advice.

New to the page. Been watching for a few months now. I have some questions that hopefully you guys/gals can assist with. I'm scheduled to go to the open house within the next few days. I have a Florida Drivers License. But I live here in NYC. Should I take the next few days to replace it with a NY State Drivers License? Will this decision hurt my chances of advancement or even eliminate me at the open house? Thanks for the assistance in advance. To all who are currently going through the process good luck to you all!

I don't think it would be a problem. To my understanding, MTA doesn't have any residency requirements. As long as you're able to drive within NYS, you should be fine IMHO

Hey guys anyone get the call for s&d yet? Are all the open houses completed? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I haven't heard anything back yet; Been checking my email constantly and screening for numbers i'm unfamiliar with. Hoping to get some type of reply soon. 

Hey peoples, I just went to Hibernian hall march 8 in babylon for first round. Pretty interesting experience. Say like 100 heads there at least. They kicked almost half out after cognitive test. Curious for S & D studying. People that passed that here, any study advice to get the verbatim down pat. I really want this gig.

Hey peoples, I just went to Hibernian hall march 8 in babylon for first round. Pretty interesting experience. Say like 100 heads there at least. They kicked almost half out after cognitive test. Curious for S & D studying. People that passed that here, any study advice to get the verbatim down pat. I really want this gig.

Hey IronHorse,

was that the last open house they're conducting?  waiting for the call to S&D, an earlier poster said he talked to one of the proctors and she said we have to wait for all the open houses to be finished.  I've been through the process before myself, you can check my earlier posts in this thread, it's all rote memorization.  flash cards, have family, friends, etc. test you, quiz you, two to three hours a day is sufficient.  it goes by fast and before you know it when the test comes the definitions just come to you.  I got a 98 on the entrance exam on my last go round in '13 but never got the call back for training.  hoping this is my shot as well.

Hey IronHorse,

was that the last open house they're conducting? waiting for the call to S&D, an earlier poster said he talked to one of the proctors and she said we have to wait for all the open houses to be finished. I've been through the process before myself, you can check my earlier posts in this thread, it's all rote memorization. flash cards, have family, friends, etc. test you, quiz you, two to three hours a day is sufficient. it goes by fast and before you know it when the test comes the definitions just come to you. I got a 98 on the entrance exam on my last go round in '13 but never got the call back for training. hoping this is my shot as well.

Hey dre,

Linda Oliver said there are 2 S&D overviews coming up set in stone. 1 is april 18th with a test date of may 23rd and may 21st with test date june 20 something. I may be a day or two off but i wrote this down somewhere. She said definitely hiring for classes that start in August and Sept. Thanks for advice. This is definitely a crap shoot. Only thing you can do is make sure you get a 100. Lol.

Study your ass off and make flash cards..and prepare yourself to study alot while in the program also forget having a life after the program they not lying when they told you your hours will suck and you will work all types of hours.

Edited by Member2016

Did anyone receive an email about the S&D overview? For the overview scheduled for March 28th? I received an email earlier this afternoon around 3 pm! This gives me so much hope! I cannot wait until the overview so I can get started on studying the necessary material 

Did anyone receive an email about the S&D overview? For the overview scheduled for March 28th? I received an email earlier this afternoon around 3 pm! This gives me so much hope! I cannot wait until the overview so I can get started on studying the necessary material

Thats great CT! Congrats. When did you attend open house? Was it March 8th? I haven't received anything yet but thats the day i went.

Thats great CT! Congrats. When did you attend open house? Was it March 8th? I haven't received anything yet but thats the day i went.

Thanks so much IronHorse! I'm super excited about it all. I've been waiting for a chance with this organization for many years and finally its here! I attended open house 2/23 and i've been pretty much holding my breath for this moment lol. hopefully you hear something soon. It was nice to see that email in my inbox after such a hectic day of running around preparing for the storm tomorrow. 

Thanks so much IronHorse! I'm super excited about it all. I've been waiting for a chance with this organization for many years and finally its here! I attended open house 2/23 and i've been pretty much holding my breath for this moment lol. hopefully you hear something soon. It was nice to see that email in my inbox after such a hectic day of running around preparing for the storm tomorrow.

Alright, so it took a lil bit to send your email. Good stuff. I hope they send me one as well. I've been looking forward to this too. So they had 3 open houses in a month. They're definitely trying to get a decent pool of applicants. Only the best or luckiest will survive this rat race. Haha. Good luck with the storm tomorrow!

Alright, so it took a lil bit to send your email. Good stuff. I hope they send me one as well. I've been looking forward to this too. So they had 3 open houses in a month. They're definitely trying to get a decent pool of applicants. Only the best or luckiest will survive this rat race. Haha. Good luck with the storm tomorrow!

Yeah it took them nearly 3 weeks to send me anything. Hopefully this means they've satisfied the number of potential employees and will start rolling out more emails sooner than later! I'm honored to even have made it to this point and ill make sure that nothing stops me from making it into one of those new hire classes come August and September! I hope you hear something soon man! Do update us when you hear back and I wish you well with the storm tomorrow as well! Im extremely prepared lol 

Yeah it took them nearly 3 weeks to send me anything. Hopefully this means they've satisfied the number of potential employees and will start rolling out more emails sooner than later! I'm honored to even have made it to this point and ill make sure that nothing stops me from making it into one of those new hire classes come August and September! I hope you hear something soon man! Do update us when you hear back and I wish you well with the storm tomorrow as well! Im extremely prepared lol 

Hey CT do you know if they're sending batch emails or little by little?  I know when I got called back in '13 it was a week later I heard about S&D now going on 3 weeks and nothing.  My brother tells me it's all lottery but if you made it out of the initial open house shouldn't they call you for the upcoming classes?  you would think.  I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking it and apprehensive but the way they make you jump through all the hoops and the whole now hurry up and wait mentality there it's all nerve wracking.

Hey CT do you know if they're sending batch emails or little by little?  I know when I got called back in '13 it was a week later I heard about S&D now going on 3 weeks and nothing.  My brother tells me it's all lottery but if you made it out of the initial open house shouldn't they call you for the upcoming classes?  you would think.  I don't know, maybe I'm just overthinking it and apprehensive but the way they make you jump through all the hoops and the whole now hurry up and wait mentality there it's all nerve wracking.

I have no idea; sorry. I was starting to get nervous myself because I didnt know it would take so long to receive feedback and then I read an earlier post that didnt say anything about the 3/28 S&D overview so I thought they may have already chosen people for the class. Keep looking out for the email i guess man; check spam , etc. I wish you luck with everything. I'm not sure that its a lottery situation though; otherwise anyone could get the gig if you passed the exams at the open house. Maybe they are basing it off of the interview portion and the scores from the tests. 

Congrats to all who got the email. I believe that it's random selection for the dates. I specifically asked for the April one so I could focus on my finals. I didnt get the March email so I'm hoping that's why.

Did you go to the February open house or march?