LIRR Assistant Conductor Trainee

CGeorge

Did anyone receive an email about the S&D overview? For the overview scheduled for March 28th? I received an email earlier this afternoon around 3 pm! This gives me so much hope! I cannot wait until the overview so I can get started on studying the necessary material

I went to the February 23rd open house and got through all the tests and preliminary interview. I thought I did ok and have tons of customer service and cash handling experience. No call back for the signals & definitions overview yet. I'm sweating here. Lol. I'm glad you got your email but now I'm wondering if all invites are done for the 3/28 overview. I know Linda said there is another one on 4/18 and I saw another post on this thread that said there's even another in May. I've been applying for years & finally got the call. I really hope they call for April. I'm guessing the 3/28 one is full. A lot of ppl seemed to make it through The preliminary on 2/23 so they may not call everyone who did. The waiting is awful. Lol

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey dre,

Linda Oliver said there are 2 S&D overviews coming up set in stone. 1 is april 18th with a test date of may 23rd and may 21st with test date june 20 something. I may be a day or two off but i wrote this down somewhere. She said definitely hiring for classes that start in August and Sept. Thanks for advice. This is definitely a crap shoot. Only thing you can do is make sure you get a 100. Lol.

There is definitely a 3/28 overview and a 4/18 overview. Is there definitely also one for 5/23? Linda didn't mention that

One at the 2/23 open house. I didn't get the call back for the 3/28 overview so I'm hoping I'm alive for the others. Brutal waiting period. Does anyone know if u will hear if you're not selected?

There is definitely a 3/28 overview and a 4/18 overview. Is there definitely also one for 5/23? Linda didn't mention that

One at the 2/23 open house. I didn't get the call back for the 3/28 overview so I'm hoping I'm alive for the others. Brutal waiting period. Does anyone know if u will hear if you're not selected?

Judging from past experience if you're not selected they won't tell you. you may get a generic "we decided to pursue more qualified candidates" shpeal but nothing definitive as to why they didn't call you, and from my last go-round I didn't get anything at all just no call after the whole process.  hoping it's different this time.  all you can do is do your best and pray.  I have a buddy who's retired lirr conductor and my brother is current metro north conductor and they both say the same thing, that the way the lirr works one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, in the sense they call you for the open house then to come back and go through the rest but then get denied after almost making it through the end, in a case like that would think they would push you through but no.  so one side has you going through all the motions and the other has you as denied.  so nice.  they also say there's no rhyme or reason on how they select individuals and my brother indicates it's all a lottery system.  When he went a few years ago to lirr for engineer, with two plus years on transit as a train operator he went to the interview and everything he said looked good, the interviewer liked him and she said he'd be hearing from them to continue and then nothing.  he said a number of months later he was sent a generic letter as I indicated prior, which makes no sense being as how he would have been coming in with train operating experience, so it's hard to even know what exactly they look for in these cases.  Do what I do, apply, if you get called, fine, go and do your best and keep applying to any openings you qualify for, even to get your foot in the door as you can always move up and around, but don't put all your hopes and dreams into it as I said, you never know and in the end a lot of it is a crapshoot.  sorry for the long winded answer but I hope this spells out most of people's questions in this regard, until you're told to begin training and given a date to start nothing is guaranteed.

Judging from past experience if you're not selected they won't tell you. you may get a generic "we decided to pursue more qualified candidates" shpeal but nothing definitive as to why they didn't call you, and from my last go-round I didn't get anything at all just no call after the whole process.  hoping it's different this time.  all you can do is do your best and pray.  I have a buddy who's retired lirr conductor and my brother is current metro north conductor and they both say the same thing, that the way the lirr works one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, in the sense they call you for the open house then to come back and go through the rest but then get denied after almost making it through the end, in a case like that would think they would push you through but no.  so one side has you going through all the motions and the other has you as denied.  so nice.  they also say there's no rhyme or reason on how they select individuals and my brother indicates it's all a lottery system.  When he went a few years ago to lirr for engineer, with two plus years on transit as a train operator he went to the interview and everything he said looked good, the interviewer liked him and she said he'd be hearing from them to continue and then nothing.  he said a number of months later he was sent a generic letter as I indicated prior, which makes no sense being as how he would have been coming in with train operating experience, so it's hard to even know what exactly they look for in these cases.  Do what I do, apply, if you get called, fine, go and do your best and keep applying to any openings you qualify for, even to get your foot in the door as you can always move up and around, but don't put all your hopes and dreams into it as I said, you never know and in the end a lot of it is a crapshoot.  sorry for the long winded answer but I hope this spells out most of people's questions in this regard, until you're told to begin training and given a date to start nothing is guaranteed.

Man - thats crazy and discouraging. I am really hoping to get a call for the 4/18 group, wish me luck! Thank you for the insight. Appreciate it.

Man - thats crazy and discouraging. I am really hoping to get a call for the 4/18 group, wish me luck! Thank you for the insight. Appreciate it.

it's not meant to be discouraging, just the way it is.  don't stress it, if you can honestly say you did the best you could at the overview with the tests and initial interview, then it's just what it is and nothing you did.  there are and have been thousands of people applying and applied for these positions to never even get the call so the fact that we were even called is big as it is.  So all I can say is let the chips fall where they may and don't stress it, just keep applying for everything and push forward.  like I said, apply and forget about it.  otherwise you'll just wear yourself out stressing over something you really have no control over.

it's not meant to be discouraging, just the way it is.  don't stress it, if you can honestly say you did the best you could at the overview with the tests and initial interview, then it's just what it is and nothing you did.  there are and have been thousands of people applying and applied for these positions to never even get the call so the fact that we were even called is big as it is.  So all I can say is let the chips fall where they may and don't stress it, just keep applying for everything and push forward.  like I said, apply and forget about it.  otherwise you'll just wear yourself out stressing over something you really have no control over.

I can't say I did my best, I was in the midst of full blown flu,..worst timing ever. I couldn't believe i even made it there. i had a 102 fever for 3 days straight at this took place on the 2nd day. I was laid up for a week with the exception of this one day where I just toughed it out. I passed the tests though and thought I did ok on the interview. The manager seemed to like me and told me to watch for an email. sooo April would be a nice call for me if I didnt make the march cut. we shall see I guess.

Linda definitely told our group at open house on March 8th to write down the 4 dates. S/d overview april 18th and may 23rd. And then the respective test dates exactly 5 weeks after each of those dates.

Thats definitely more encouraging since I didn't get called for the 3/28 S&D overview. Gives me more hope that I'll still get a call. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info!!

Hey fellas,

any update on getting called for April/May overviews? still nothing here...

Nothin yet for me but the one guy who confirmed he got a invite to this months S&D did open house last month and it seemed like they only gave him 2 weeks notice.....so I think if we get called it might not be until april that we're notified. Like 2 week before rule here, maybe? I'm studying already. Information is intense as far as long definitions to memorize.

What are you studying off of? Only if you have current definitions, direct from the lirr, otherwise you're wasting your time as they tell you that the wording may change etc so unless you have current definitions directly from the source don't bother until you get to the overview and are presented with the information.

What are you studying off of? Only if you have current definitions, direct from the lirr, otherwise you're wasting your time as they tell you that the wording may change etc so unless you have current definitions directly from the source don't bother until you get to the overview and are presented with the information.

I have official material. Its not hard to find, its hard to make sure its right one like you said. I doubt definitions, indications, signal pictures change much year to year. Maybe a slight tweek or addition.

They do tell you what dremoney suggests. They don't want ppl having an advantage of the 5 weeks they provide you. Studying early is kind of frowned upon I think. But ppl do it. I have official info from going through the process years ago. I can tell you. A few have changed a little bit. I hope we hear something for the 4/18 overview soon. I'm dying.

They do tell you what dremoney suggests. They don't want ppl having an advantage of the 5 weeks they provide you. Studying early is kind of frowned upon I think. But ppl do it. I have official info from going through the process years ago. I can tell you. A few have changed a little bit. I hope we hear something for the 4/18 overview soon. I'm dying.

Obviously they don't want you with an advantage, however you'd be a fool not to study early if you had the material. Anybody could have been through this already 3 times and have studied prior thus giving them a upper hand, despite material being updated or not. Survival of the fittest and dumb luck. I wait patiently as well.

Hey guys

First off, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted here. Some great insight and info. Really appreciate it as well as all the advice. I was invited to the class on the 18th, I know a lot of studying is to follow. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give any info on what follows after...specifically, the drawing of the station that is involved. That part has me really worried. Any insights? also, if you get the job, trying to get to certain stations-what do you feel is the best way to get there? Meaning, if you have to get to green port in the morning, say coming off a night shift, would the train be the best way? I don't have a car, and I am wondering how much of a problem this will be. Thanks again for any info you can give. 

Hey guys

First off, just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has posted here. Some great insight and info. Really appreciate it as well as all the advice. I was invited to the class on the 18th, I know a lot of studying is to follow. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can give any info on what follows after...specifically, the drawing of the station that is involved. That part has me really worried. Any insights? also, if you get the job, trying to get to certain stations-what do you feel is the best way to get there? Meaning, if you have to get to green port in the morning, say coming off a night shift, would the train be the best way? I don't have a car, and I am wondering how much of a problem this will be. Thanks again for any info you can give.

Hey Brian, you just received email today? Were you at the March 8th open house?

Thanks

Cappi,

Yes as I said I've been called 4 times now, the last time back in '13 made it to the panel. I posted to the same effect earlier in this thread. And they even tell you only to study what they give you, because if even one word, an, or, the, etc. is out of place or added or taken out or whatever, and you don't put it in, guess what. It's wrong. So it doesn't matter if the definitions may not change much, any change or deviation from what they give you will be marked as incorrect on the entrance exam. I got a 98 last time, and the one I got wrong I think I left out an "and". So they're very strict about this and they don't let anything slide. Not trying to get on anyone's case or down on anyone just trying to be helpful to you all. I think we're all rooting for each other to make it in and succeed.