Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
TheNewYorkElevated

Security guard harasses black man on Athens metro

A black man was harassed by a security guard on the Athens metro. The incident was recorded by a woman. It's become a trending topic on social media in Greece.

Read more: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2016/02/15/greek-urban-rail-security-guard-harasses-african-passenger/

http://www.ekathimerini.com/205994/article/ekathimerini/news/train-security-guard-faces-dismissal-over-harassment

lol... Those Africans deal with a lot of crap in Europe.  I've seen the racism when I was living there.  They really aren't liked there and are treated like thieves.  I remember when I was in Florence, Italy walking Downtown, it started to rain, so I put up my umbrella.  There were African migrants out with these cheap umbrellas out for sale (as you see them here in NYC).  Some carabinieri came and took all of the merchandise away and laughed as the men protested in their heavy African accents.  Since the men were likely in the country illegally, there was nothing they could do as the carabinieri left.  As an Italian-American, I can say with certainty that the Africans would be better off staying in Africa.  For some reason, they seem to think their lives will be better in Europe, but they won't.  Western Europe is expensive, and since they don't have citizenship, the likelihood of them getting any decent job is slim.  When I lived there, even I couldn't work immediately, as I had to be in the country for certain amount of time, but I had money to live off of so it wasn't a problem, as I lived in a well-to-do part of Florence near Palazzo Pitti.  They however come to Europe with whatever pennies they have so these African nations should really be doing more to help their citizens.  

I even remember riding the buses in Florence and seeing old Italian ladies clutch their purse at the sight of African men.  Americans are treated as equals of Europeans because we are see as having money and being prosperous like Western Europe.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

A black man was harassed by a security guard on the Athens metro. The incident was recorded by a woman. It's become a trending topic on social media in Greece.

Read more: http://greece.greekreporter.com/2016/02/15/greek-urban-rail-security-guard-harasses-african-passenger/

http://www.ekathimerini.com/205994/article/ekathimerini/news/train-security-guard-faces-dismissal-over-harassment

Unfortunate !.. And hilarious given everybody came out of Africa 50,000 years ago.. Italian's are slick as well I've had my wallet picked in Rome there's some tricky ones out there.

Edited by RailRunRob

Unfortunate !.. And hilarious given everybody came out of Africa 50,000 years ago.. Italian's are slick as well I've had my wallet picked in Rome there's some tricky ones out there.

Oh please... Most of the pick pocket types in Italy are immigrants.  I remember I was walking from my apartment one morning on my way to via Faenza (by via Nazionale), and this guy (an immigrant) tries to pull a fast one on me, so I immediately put my hands in my pockets (even though I had my goods elsewhere  :D) to throw him off.  I gave him the opportunity to ask me a question twice and the second time I knew his BS Italian was just a bunch of crap to distract me and I told him in Italian "Sorry, I understand what you're saying" and kept walking over to the caffè I was going to.  The other thing that I used to see when I would visit the American consulate for banking issues was TONS of Americans who had their passports stolen.  I said to myself, what idiots.   American passports are gold.  I always had mine on me in a hidden area.  Same deal with the wallet...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh please... Most of the pick pocket types in Italy are immigrants.  I remember I was walking from my apartment one morning on my way to via Faenza (by via Nazionale), and this guy (an immigrant) tries to pull a fast one on me, so I immediately put my hands in my pockets (even though I had my goods elsewhere  :D) to throw him off.  I gave him the opportunity to ask me a question twice and the second time I knew his BS Italian was just a bunch of crap to distract me and I told him in Italian "Sorry, I understand what you're saying" and kept walking over to the caffè I was going to.  The other thing that I used to see when I would visit the American consulate for banking issues was TONS of Americans who had their passports stolen.  I said to myself, what idiots.   American passports are gold.  I always had mine on me in a hidden area.  Same deal with the wallet...

I've seen Italian kids picking pockets verbatim.. True Americans do stick out and now my wallets in my front pocket .. And there are probably certain situations were maybe immigrants might be the culprits. Being a cheat , a crook or maybe just needing to feed your family is certainly not a racial or ethnic thing.. There're creeps in every culture and  every country. Let's not stereotype that's such a copout. :huh: Question do you think that guy deserve that? In Athens?

Edited by RailRunRob

I've seen Italian kids picking pockets verbatim.. True Americans do stick out and now my wallets in my front pocket .. And there are probably certain situations were maybe immigrants might be the culprits. Being a cheat , a crook or maybe just needing to feed your family is certainly not a racial or ethnic thing.. There're creeps in every culture and  every country. Let's not stereotype that's such a copout. :huh: Question do you think that guy deserve that? In Athens?

Well of course pick pocket types are Italian also, but I was just talking about from own experiences.  As for the African guy, of course not, but on the same token, since very few Africans arrive in Europe legally, they are an easy target to be picked on since any little thing can get them deported.  It's very difficult to arrive in Europe and stay there because the immigration process is so stringent, not to mention the cost of living, especially Western Europe, and most Africans are not arriving with resources, unless they are Arabs coming from upper class areas, and even they often times lose everything coming to Europe.

• Upvote 1

Well of course pick pocket types are Italian also, but I was just talking about from own experiences.  As for the African guy, of course not, but on the same token, since very few Africans arrive in Europe legally, they are an easy target to be picked on since any little thing can get them deported.  It's very difficult to arrive in Europe and stay there because the immigration process is so stringent, not to mention the cost of living, especially Western Europe, and most Africans are not arriving with resources, unless they are Arabs coming from upper class areas, and even they often times lose everything coming to Europe.

Touché..