W train coming back this fall

R32 3838

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to be a party pooper but I do not see this happening anytime soon because we're already short on subway cars and if the SAS Opening isn't delayed again, how are we going to make service if we're short on cars? If the R179s weren't delayed on their delivery I can see this working out but right now I don't.

There's enough R160's for the (W), when the (Q) gets sent back to 57th and the (N) returns to express service, that's more than enough for the (W), remember when it got cut, all of its fleet went to the (N) and (Q)

I meant when SAS opens. It was slated that the (Q) is supposed to gain 3-5 more sets when it opens.

If the first R179's (Remember the board materials mentioned that the first set will test while 3 more are built) start arriving in June as scheduled couldn't you get 2 or 3 in service by December or does it take longer for trains to be accepted?

We have a problem though, and that's Whitehall St. The (W) needs a new terminal to terminate at, or else we are going to have chaos just like we had in pre-2010. City Hall can be one of them, but I was thinking of sending the (W) down the (D) line to 9 Av during rush hours and middays, and the rest can terminate at either 36 St or Atlantic.

And why does everyone keep saying the (V) is coming back, IT IS NOT COMING BACK!!!

What chaos? The (W) pulls into the center track, and then it leaves after the northbound (R) leaves. Hopefully they make an attempt to space it evenly, instead of sending the (W) out immediately after the (R).

It actually comes in handy, because if there's a problem in Brooklyn (especially by DeKalb Avenue), it provides a backup within Manhattan and in Queens.

You'd be overserving the Sea Beach line.

Exactly.

Not trying to be a party pooper but I do not see this happening anytime soon because we're already short on subway cars and if the SAS Opening isn't delayed again, how are we going to make service if we're short on cars? If the R179s weren't delayed on their delivery I can see this working out but right now I don't.

It's in the official board documents.

It is proposed that a public hearing be held in spring 2016 to consider this proposal. If approved subsequent to the hearing, these service changes would be implemented in late 2016. Beginning with the Fall 2016 Pick (currently planned for November 2016), (W) service would be restored and (Q) service would temporarily terminate at 57 St/7 Av. When Phase I of the Second Avenue line opens, (Q) service would be extended to terminate at 96 St.

We have a problem though, and that's Whitehall St. The (W) needs a new terminal to terminate at, or else we are going to have chaos just like we had in pre-2010. City Hall can be one of them, but I was thinking of sending the (W) down the (D) line to 9 Av during rush hours and middays, and the rest can terminate at either 36 St or Atlantic.

How is Whitehall a problem? Did you happen to forget that it terminates on the middle track?

Trains don't run THAT often through Whitehall, so the W will be fine there anyway.

I'll be at the stations in the middle of the night...no foamers to deal with lol

This. I'll just sit back and watch the children get their OMGHDEXCLUSIVE videos.

^You mean there OMGITSTHEFIRSTQTO96LETSMAKEITWEIRDFOREVERYONEANDBURSTTHEIREARDRUMSOUTOMGEXCULSIVE! videos.

But don't you think we should change it up a bit? I was actually thinking this:

Weekend (W) service:

(N) service runs between Queensboro Plaza and Astoria - Ditmars on weekends.

(W) service runs between Astoria and Coney Island - Stillwell AV via Sea Beach Local (or Express if your going on the Manhattan bound.)

This eliminates the need for the (N) in Manhattan since Manhattan doesn't need all 4 lines covering it on the weekends.

Weekend (W) service:

(W) service runs between Astoria and Coney Island - Stillwell AV via Sea Beach Local (or Express if your going on the Manhattan bound.)

This eliminates the need for the (N) in Manhattan since Manhattan doesn't need all 4 lines covering it on the weekends.

there's no point in having a shuttle in the same borough from Point A to B then to transfer to another train as a continuation on the same line/track. 

The (W) doesn't even run on weekends

^You mean there OMGITSTHEFIRSTQTO96LETSMAKEITWEIRDFOREVERYONEANDBURSTTHEIREARDRUMSOUTOMGEXCULSIVE! videos.

Weekend (W) service:

That (W) is basically the (N) service right there. Plus there is no need for a Astoria Shuttle. Don't complicate things when it doesn't need to be.

That (W) is basically the (N) service right there. Plus there is no need for a Astoria Shuttle. Don't complicate things when it doesn't need to be.

This...

I don't see why people getting all bent out of shape going nuts because the (W) coming back. If you rode the (N) at night, then you rode the (W). Nothing special about it, just another letter.

There's enough R160's for the (W), when the (Q) gets sent back to 57th and the (N) returns to express service, that's more than enough for the (W), remember when it got cut, all of its fleet went to the (N) and (Q)

Now the odds are we will R68 to appear on the Q more then it does with the N since the W will be coming back

The (MTA) is holding a meeting about the new (W) soon. I think I should go, and convince them to extend the line to South Brooklyn at least during rush hours to help back the (R), and finally solve the problem caused by the removal of the brown (M).

That's not happening and the (W) should stay at whitehall, there's no plans as of now besides the rumored (J) extension of this, with the (L) shutting down, all the extra services and equipment will be spread apon the neighboring lines close to the (L), so I doubt we'll see extra 4th ave services until 2019-20

49 St is also near Times Square which explains overcrowding.

50th St on the (1) is near Times Square and can handle 50th St on its own. The (R)(W) can handle 49th St.

Punch boxes and signals can always be modernized; the TA's unwillingness to do so is simply a reflection of their own incompetence.

I agree, I know its just one stop but I don't know why the MTA won't add punch boxes so that the (N) can run express from 57th to Canal.

50th St on the (1) is near Times Square and can handle 50th St on its own. The (R)(W) can handle 49th St.

I agree, I know its just one stop but I don't know why the MTA won't add punch boxes so that the (N) can run express from 57th to Canal.

Thats not the best comparison because the (1) runs every 3-4 minutes plus it has been said many times that 49th Street is heavily used on the Weeekdays. I've been to that station and its very crowded. If it weren't the case the (N) would've skipped that stop pre 2010.

Thats not the best comparison because the (1) runs every 3-4 minutes plus it has been said many times that 49th Street is heavily used on the Weeekdays. I've been to that station and its very crowded. If it weren't the case the (N) would've skipped that stop pre 2010.

Not only that, but even if the (1) was so infrequent, track configuration wouldn't allow the (2) and (3) to stop at 50 St without causing delays on all 3 lines.

Not only that, but even if the (1) was so infrequent, track configuration wouldn't allow the (2) and (3) to stop at 50 St without causing delays on all 3 lines.

It might not be the best comparison, but I compare the two stations because they both have roughly the same amount of ridership. I don't think that express trains stop at 49th because its a busy station. I think it has more to do with operational issues that was already mentioned on this forum. If 49th St was a local station only than I think the (R)(W) combined headways during peak hours and off peak hours can handle 49th St on its own.

Archived