W train coming back this fall

R32 3838

Make the M 10 cars just add a two car set that uncouples at b'way-Lafayette and terminates at 2nd ave and then gets attached again to northbound trains.

The new cars should feature bar service and reserved seating. They will be funded by magic.

For a second, I thought you were serious.

I'm confused, if the (B) dosent operate on the weekends, then why can't the (C) use the R68's on the weekends?

Besides the fact that the 68As for the (B) are based out of Coney Island and the jobs for the (C) don't start anywhere near there, that would be a lot of deadheading to get to 8th Avenue for the weekends and back for the Monday morning rush.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't they based out of Concourse?

No (B) s come out of Coney, and even if they were it's still not gonna concourse b/c again, (C) train operators are out of 207th street only. only way a line uses another yard is either for emergency runs (like the montague tunnel closure) or loans for rush hours/special events.

No (B) s come out of Coney, and even if they were it's still not gonna concourse b/c again, (C) train operators are out of 207th street only. only way a line uses another yard is either for emergency runs (like the montague tunnel closure) or loans for rush hours/special events.

What gets stored at Pitkin?

Aren't they based out of Concourse?

10 R68/A sets from the  (B) are stored at Concourse while the rest is stored at Coney Island. Concourse only stores the  (B) and does emergency repairs if a R68/A cant get down to Coney Island. Just like what Lance said, its going to cost money to deadhead (B)  line equipment to the  (C) back and forth and it makes sense to use the existing R32s and R160s since they are stored at the end of the  (C) line. The ones at Concourse are used for specials and can be used for the  (D) if needed on weekends. The ones at Coney Island can be used on the  (D)  (N)  (Q) if needed on weekends and its easy to put them back on the  (B) from running on these lines. 

You mean Eastern Division limits.

None of the stations along the Canarsie, Jamaica and Myrtle Ave lines can platform a full ten-car/600-foot train. That rules out the (M). As for the (C), there are two reasons why it will continue to use eight-car trains. The main reason is that there aren't enough cars to run full-length trains and have a comfortable spare factor. The secondary reason is that the (C) is currently sharing cars with the (J) and (M) lines, which cannot run longer trains for the aforementioned reason.

And a secondary, though never-used reason: In an emergency, in theory the (C) can be rerouted to run via the (M) and then (J) to Broadway Junction and even Archer Avenue (via the (J) ) or Rockaway Parkway-Canarsie (via the (L) ).  Anyone who has seen my ideas knows this. 

10 R68/A sets from the  (B) are stored at Concourse while the rest is stored at Coney Island. 

Yes, those are Coney Island Yard trains used for Pull-Ins and Pull-Out during the rush or the end of the day. 

And a secondary, though never-used reason: In an emergency, in theory the (C) can be rerouted to run via the (M) and then (J) to Broadway Junction and even Archer Avenue (via the (J) ) or Rockaway Parkway-Canarsie (via the (L) ).  Anyone who has seen my ideas knows this. 

I can name 5 other places they can/will reroute/ turn the train back before they even THINK of sending a (C) via the (M) or (J)

before long this conversation is going to be the " (C) to Astoria...! " smh

:D 

That was simply pointing that out, which was why I said in theory this time.

Getting this back on topic:

If anything is gonna be the 4th Av local, it's the  (W), not  (N). And even so, 1. You can't make the  (W) use two different lines in Brooklyn, and 2. the  (D) and  (N) do just fine on their respective lines. If anything, just have the  (W) run the  (brownM) route to Bay parkway rush hours and call it a day. If ridership is justified enough, put that extension into effect middays and eves.

But it's not like the  (W) can get extended now as there are not enough trains for such extensions.

MysteriousBtrain, like I always tell both Around the Horn and T to Dyre Avenue before, do you really think a morning rush hour commuter trying to get to Chinatown and Midtown from Bay Ridge/West End/Sea Beach is going to want to take a train making all local stops via the Montague Street Tunnel?

There's a reason why the   (brownM) was eliminated in Lower Manhattan and South Brooklyn. But if you really insist that the 4th Avenue Local (north of 36th Street) is too crowded for the  (R) to handle or that the  (R) is "always late", just have the  (W) end at 9th Avenue or extend it down to Bay Ridge-95th Street instead of Bay Parkway. Even though I don't find that necessary at all either, but whatever.

Hopefully, if and when they fix the car shortage, they can then perhaps use the (W) to fix the long-notorious issues with the (R) in Brooklyn.  Maybe having select (W) trains also run to 95th Street (yes, the old (RR) route from Astoria) would help at least in the minds of some fix the problems the (R) has had.

MysteriousBtrain, like I always tell both Around the Horn and T to Dyre Avenue before, do you really think a morning rush hour commuter trying to get to Chinatown and Midtown from Bay Ridge/West End/Sea Beach is going to want to take a train making all local stops via the Montague Street Tunnel?

There's a reason why the (brownM) was eliminated in Lower Manhattan and South Brooklyn. But if you really insist that the 4th Avenue Local (north of 36th Street) is too crowded for the (R) to handle or that the (R) is "always late", just have the (W) end at 9th Avenue or extend it down to Bay Ridge-95th Street instead of Bay Parkway. Even though I don't find that necessary at all either, but whatever.

Excuse me RollOver, but when did I ever suggest that a morning rush hour commuter trying to get to Chinatown or Midtown would want to take an all-local train through the Montague Tunnel? Because I sure don't recall ever saying that. If anything, I've stated quite the opposite of that. The only thing I suggested was to run a part-time Nassau St service in an attempt to have some train service running on the 4th Ave Local during peak hours, both to supplement the (R) and to protect 4th Ave Local service in the event of an all-too-frequent service delay or disruption on the (R) in Manhattan or Queens. And I've specifically said Bay Ridge is where it should go, because it is the local stations south - not north - of 36th St that have the higher ridership and would be no better off if the second 4th Ave Local train ran to/from Bay Pkwy or 9th Ave. RollOver, please do not mention me in any of your future posts, unless you are specifically quoting something I said or responding to something I posted. And definitely don't put my name in any of your posts if you're going take something I posted a while ago completely out of context.

I suggested in the public hearing that the (W) will be extended on rush hours to Bay Parkway via the 4th Avenue local/ West End because the service along the (R) is terrible and unreliable

Even if there were enough cars for a regularly scheduled rush hour (W) extension in Brooklyn, how would running the (W) to/from Bay Pkwy via the (D) line address the "terrible and unreliable" service on the (R) line? What happens if the service delay or disruption is in Manhattan? Then not only would the (R) be delayed, but so would the (W) because they will share the same tracks along their entire routes in Manhattan.

before long this conversation is going to be the " (C) to Astoria...! " smh

You know sometimes I wonder if Wallyhorses proposals came to existence what type of crazy rerouted subway system we would've had today.

You know sometimes I wonder if Wallyhorses proposals came to existence what type of crazy rerouted subway system we would've had today.

It would be slower, less efficient, delay-prone, and unreliable. Too many variables. Too many moving parts. Difficult to get under control on a normal day and when things go wrong.

Archived