Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R32 3838

W train coming back this fall

Since the (W) is returning, the runs to Brooklyn at night and from Brooklyn in the morning would have to return no matter what, unless the MTA decided to run them as out of service deadheads.

Astoria/ditmars should be the runoff point with the W train set headed to CI yard as a in service N

Astoria/ditmars should be the runoff point with the W train set headed to CI yard as a in service N

It will more than likely be sent down as a (W). Those trains that go to the yard can't fit at City Hall LL or along the middle track along the Astoria line

• Upvote 1

So the (W) is more deserving of a Bay Parkway extension than is the (J) because of likely differences in ridership?

Yes, as the (W) goes to Midtown Manhattan (where most Brooklyn passengers commute to)

Edited by RTS9000

The curve between 57 Street and 63 Street:

052616_Maps2.jpeg

That exact curve was seen briefly in 1998 for the (S) before it moved over to the curve just east of it (as the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg:) after replacing the :Q:. Is the western yellow curve actually its own physical tunnel, or is it really the same structure as the eastern orange curve? If it is an autonomous structure, then I guess that saved a lot of work for the 2nd Avenue line.

http://nycsubway.org.s3.amazonaws.com/images/maps/calcagno-1998-08-01.gif

It is a discrete tunnel that generally has not been used in regular service. The (R) uses it when going via 63rd Street.

That exact curve was seen briefly in 1998 for the (S) before it moved over to the curve just east of it (as the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg:) after replacing the :Q:. Is the western yellow curve actually its own physical tunnel, or is it really the same structure as the eastern orange curve? If it is an autonomous structure, then I guess that saved a lot of work for the 2nd Avenue line.

http://nycsubway.org.s3.amazonaws.com/images/maps/calcagno-1998-08-01.gif

Lex63.diag.gif

• Upvote 5

Is it me, or will re-terminating the (Q) at 57 St-7 Av temp confuse riders a lot? That's a lot of sign changing, and a lot of other nonsense...

Unless you terminate the (W) at 57 St - 7 AV and leave the (Q) going to Astoria till 2 AV opens.

Is it me, or will re-terminating the (Q) at 57 St-7 Av temp confuse riders a lot? That's a lot of sign changing, and a lot of other nonsense...

Unless you terminate the (W) at 57 St - 7 AV and leave the (Q) going to Astoria till 2 AV opens.

That's just as confusing

• Upvote 3

Not really. The (Q) already has its signage to 57 St-7 Av, so just slap over it with a (W) sticker and call it a day.

Not really. The (Q) already has its signage to 57 St-7 Av, so just slap over it with a (W) sticker and call it a day.

You're still would have to change the signs completely once 2 Av opens and make more (Q) signs.

On top of the fact that they aren't going to have (Q) and (W) trains cross in front of each other.

• Upvote 1

Is it me, or will re-terminating the (Q) at 57 St-7 Av temp confuse riders a lot?

Nope. It's just you. 

So you're basically going to have a little intra-Manhattan (W) shuttle running from the center tracks at 57th and crossing over to the local tracks, while the  (Q) crosses over to the express tracks, and then you're going to do what once the SAS opens? Extend that (W) shuttle over to 96th Street which causes the same amount of confusion while maintaining the problem with the crossovers that you created for no reason?

It's better to just have the (Q) run to 57th, and then when the SAS opens, riders at all the Broadway Line stations can continue using the (Q) if they want to go up to 57th Street, but then (**gasp**) if they want to/need to, they can stay on until 96th Street.

• Upvote 2

Ignore what I said, I wasn't in the right state of mind lol.

Yea I get it, but (Q) riders need to be notified like 6x as much about SAS so they don't become surprised when their precious (Q) train DOSENT run to Astoria anymore.

Ignore what I said, I wasn't in the right state of mind lol.

Yea I get it, but (Q) riders need to be notified like 6x as much about SAS so they don't become surprised when their precious (Q) train DOSENT run to Astoria anymore.

There's not that many people traveling from Brooklyn to Astoria. For the relatively few that are, I'm sure plenty of announcements will be made at Times Square and at 57th, letting them know to wait for the (N) or (W).

For Astoria riders, former (Q) riders can take the (N) for express service, and riders heading to local stations can take the (W), which is what they did prior to 2010 anyway.

The riders who have made their commutes since before Summer 2010 should have no problem at all. The rest will learn quickly. :)

• Upvote 2

Since I wasn't a regular rider of the N/W before 2010, this always came to my mind.

(N) and (W) now have mostly newer models, (with a few 68's here and there) that easily switch from one to the other at Ditmars.

Was the swapping back and forth done as often as it is now before 2010 (with the older roll signs)? Back when there were more 68's and slants.  

I wonder how long this (W) will survive. While I think it will make it longer than nine years this time, when the (MTA) closes Grand (30), Broadway, Washington (36) and Beebe (39) for the 6-12 months, there will be absolutely no space for a second route down the Astoria line, and the (N) will be the route providing the limited service. 

What would you do with the (W)?

I’m trying to think of some options, but none make any sense. 

1) You could run it to Forest Hills or Jamaica-179, but at that point you might as well call it a short-turning (R)

2) You could branch-off a few more (N) trains to 96th, and run (W) trains every 20 minutes (the latter of which they do during some lighter Astoria Line track work now)

3) You could run the (W) to 96th street, but the crossover would make it a mess...

---

Or, they could do the most logical thing, which is temporarily suspend the (W) and restore the (N) to it’s 2010-2016 service pattern. 

Of course, this is all contingent on how much work needs to be done on the Astoria Line, if they are going to complete the track work, while renovating the station, it might be a little worse than this. If it’s just the station and the tracks are complete, they might be able to run the current service pattern with reduced headways. 

I wonder how long this (W) will survive. While I think it will make it longer than nine years this time, when the (MTA) closes Grand (30), Broadway, Washington (36) and Beebe (39) for the 6-12 months, there will be absolutely no space for a second route down the Astoria line, and the (N) will be the route providing the limited service. 

What would you do with the (W)?

I’m trying to think of some options, but none make any sense. 

1) You could run it to Forest Hills or Jamaica-179, but at that point you might as well call it a short-turning (R)

2) You could branch-off a few more (N) trains to 96th, and run (W) trains every 20 minutes (the latter of which they do during some lighter Astoria Line track work now)

3) You could run the (W) to 96th street, but the crossover would make it a mess...

---

Or, they could do the most logical thing, which is temporarily suspend the (W) and restore the (N) to it’s 2010-2016 service pattern. 

Of course, this is all contingent on how much work needs to be done on the Astoria Line, if they are going to complete the track work, while renovating the station, it might be a little worse than this. If it’s just the station and the tracks are complete, they might be able to run the current service pattern with reduced headways. 

1. Those stations will not all be closed at once

2. During weekdays there will be the same track capacity during the closures, while there may be weekend bustitution of the (N) until Queensboro Plaza

1. Those stations will not all be closed at once

2. During weekdays there will be the same track capacity during the closures, while there may be weekend bustitution of the (N) until Queensboro Plaza

I disagree, the track capacity will be reduced on both weekdays and weekends. Unless if they want to put some temporary platforms up, the track work combined with platform restrictions will not allow the current amount of trains.

I disagree, the track capacity will be reduced on both weekdays and weekends. Unless if they want to put some temporary platforms up, the track work combined with platform restrictions will not allow the current amount of trains.

There is no track work. I don't know where you are getting this from. This is a simple close the station, rehabilitate it and then reopen it. During these types of work there is no decrease in capacity.

• Upvote 1

To add on, when the one-way Astoria express GO is in effect, both the (N) and (W) run express now, as opposed to when the (Q) ran to Astoria. During those times, (Q) service would be cut back to 57 St-7 Av as the (Q) ran more frequently than the (W) currently does.

I think this is just a ploy to get the (N) back to the much-maligned 2010-16 service pattern. Thing is, nobody liked that service pattern, and come next week, the (Q) won't be an option for additional Astoria service.

To add on, when the one-way Astoria express GO is in effect, both the (N) and (W) run express now, as opposed to when the (Q) ran to Astoria. During those times, (Q) service would be cut back to 57 St-7 Av as the (Q) ran more frequently than the (W) currently does.

I think this is just a ploy to get the (N) back to the much-maligned 2010-16 service pattern. Thing is, nobody liked that service pattern, and come next week, the (Q) won't be an option for additional Astoria service.

I agree. Literally, the only good thing that came out of that service pattern was Bridge service to Prince and 8th Street, which are two of the busiest local stations on the line outside of 49th Street.

All I know is I hope all of these changes will bring more frequent (Q) train service.  Runs like garbage anytime I need it on weekends despite what the schedule says.  The waits always seem to be close to 10 minutes or more in some cases. Used it this Saturday and got lucky, as we left 57th and 7th fairly quickly.  By the time we reached Kings Highway though, all hell broke loose, as apparently there was a stalled (Q) train Northbound and they were reporting NO service into Manhattan. That explains the HOARDS of people that got on heading southbound until I got off at Sheepshead Bay Rd. No idea what happened coming back... Took the express bus to avoid that mess.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I agree. Literally, the only good thing that came out of that service pattern was Bridge service to Prince and 8th Street, which are two of the busiest local stations on the line outside of 49th Street.

the (W) train is reduced to a 20 minute headway whenever there is construction work happening on the Astoria line in the middle of the day so yes that is actually a slight reduced in track capacity.

How so? Are you saying it's like when the (G) never ran to Forest Hills after 2001 due to "maintenance work" on Queens Blvd?