Governor Cuomo Announces Significant Upgrade of MTA Bus Fleet, With More Than 2,000 New State-of-the

Around the Horn

As for the whole Wi-Fi and USB charging port thing....

I'll only agree with it if it's only exclusive to the express buses....local buses? Hell no! We got way too many vandals and farebeaters.

Agreed on the USB charging ports... but I still think WiFi is something that could work on local buses and subways as long as cell service is not included. The biggest nuisance is someone talking on their phone not someone using the Wi-Fi (which also allows you to access mta.info- one of my friends was checking the B37 and B63 on bustime while on the B16 to determine which one to get off and transfer to)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed on the USB charging ports... but I still think WiFi is something that could work on local buses and subways as long as cell service is not included. The biggest nuisance is someone talking on their phone not someone using the Wi-Fi (which also allows you to access mta.info- one of my friends was checking the B37 and B63 on bustime while on the B16 to determine which one to get off and transfer to)

Wi-Fi on a bus is essentially very pointless, because it's nothing more than another cellular signal. So if you lose signal with your phone at a particular location. Chances are the Wi-Fi will drop too.

Interesting look, although I think they could go without the "I <3 NY" logo. Considering how long the blue stripe has been around and the many different versions of it, I don't really see any problem with an update. We could use the LCD information systems. How long have we been waiting for that?

Aren't these XD60 buses already arriving in the blue and white? 

That's my thing, I'll believe it when I see it!

Although, we haven't received a new bus past 5374 in about two weeks. So it could be a sign of the scheme change.

Well, it's not a new 5364, it's just being upgraded with newer components and such.

Someone said that bus was back already, but who knows.

5364 has been missing from service to my knowledge and since we haven't received a new bus in a while this could be a sign as to what's to come 

Another thing: Is the SBS scheme independent of this new scheme? or the SBS scheme would be phase out as a result of this new one?

Good question. My guess is that either both wraps would be combined to show SBS or the SBS wrapping will just discontinue altogether since the signage would do its usual flashing to show the SBS route.

5364-5438 will be getting the new livery first. All new buses will be delivered this way, and the first of the buses will be decaled/painted one by one.

As for the whole Wi-Fi and USB charging port thing....

I'll only agree with it if it's only exclusive to the express buses....local buses? Hell no! We got way too many vandals and farebeaters.

All buses will definitely be getting it, so we will just have to see how it works out. 

Interesting look, although I think they could go without the "I <3 NY" logo. Considering how long the blue stripe has been around and the many different versions of it, I don't really see any problem with an update. We could use the LCD information systems. How long have we been waiting for that?

Go without the "I <3 NY" logo???? 

Another thing: Is the SBS scheme independent of this new scheme? or the SBS scheme would be phase out as a result of this new one?

SBS supposedly will either be an updated livery or dropped for the new one. I am being told it will be dropped for the new one since all new buses will be delivered with Luminator, or Axion color signs.

I love the vibrant colors on that bus. I think all artics should have that scheme.

All buses will have it... Thats the point.

5364-5438 will be getting the new livery first. All new buses will be delivered this way, and the first of the buses will be decaled/painted one by one.

All buses will definitely be getting it, so we will just have to see how it works out. 

Go without the "I <3 NY" logo???? 

SBS supposedly will either be an updated livery or dropped for the new one. I am being told it will be dropped for the new one since all new buses will be delivered with Luminator, or Axion color signs.

All buses will have it... Thats the point.

Hey, ENY I'm just wondering, did they sneek this by you or did you know this all along? It seems to be pulled out of a hat, cause Cuomo never mentioned a new paint scheme.

Oh, and I really hope at least one RTS gets painted in this before they go... :D

Like the paint scheme and info screens.

Hate the Wi-Fi and USB ports. What a pissing waste of money. The Cuomo indictments can't come soon enough.

Anyways, I guess I'll see the new paint scheme when I visit over the summer.

Just was thinking about it for a bit--the white and blue started, in its first iteration, in roughly 1978-1979. The first 1981 RTSes came in a scheme basically identically to what RTSes wear today. It's been a while! 

I've thought about it for a while, and from a sociological point of view, this may also be exactly what the bus system needs to increase ridership as well. You'd be surprised what a new paint scheme can do and one as vibrant as this should do well to attract new riders, despite whatever condition service is in at this point.

Hey, ENY I'm just wondering, did they sneek this by you or did you know this all along? It seems to be pulled out of a hat, cause Cuomo never mentioned a new paint scheme.

Oh, and I really hope at least one RTS gets painted in this before they go... :D

I knew a revised paint scheme was coming but nothing elaborate like this or anytime soon either for that matter. I was building up to all that in the merger thread, but it seems as if the Governor wants to put his hands on this and introduce this thing right now. This lets me know there's a lot of politics behind it. Why are they all of a sudden changing plans, putting the XD60 order on pause to implement the new design now? I'm not saying this is not a good thing by any means. It's actually a much better idea to introduce a new scheme with new amenities in the spring. It could attract record ridership in the summer. This is actually what they should have done in the first place! 

So to answer your question, hell yeah this hit me out of left field because I was told it wasn't supposed to show up until the TA XD60 pilots came in. I already posted about the audio visual pilot which will place LED displays in 200 buses. This will be introduced on the option orders from New Flyer and Nova as well.

I think it's time for a new look with our buses and the one rendered looks impressive to me. Now that BusTime gives ETA for buses I would have LED screens at major stops showing the ETA for upcoming buses instead of # of stops away which is used on the SBS displays a few stops have. The screens inside buses should be able to show the ETA of transfer options when the next stop is a transfer point. Automated announcements are long overdue. These nice touches should improve the rider experience of current riders even if few new riders are added. Reliability of service needs to be improved but if that can't be worked on in addition to modernizing the appearance of the buses then I don't know what to say.

I saw what looked like a brand new, ghost white LFS artic on Main Street a week or two ago. There was one person operating it and another person in the front seat. Not sure where it was going, but it looked like it was an (MTA) bus.

Anyway, where are these info screens going to be placed in the bus?

Also, the M15 has started having digital screens at some UES stops displaying how many stops away the next buses are. Who is paying for that? Is it a pilot test?

I knew a revised paint scheme was coming but nothing elaborate like this or anytime soon either for that matter. I was building up to all that in the merger thread, but it seems as if the Governor wants to put his hands on this and introduce this thing right now. This lets me know there's a lot of politics behind it. Why are they all of a sudden changing plans, putting the XD60 order on pause to implement the new design now? I'm not saying this is not a good thing by any means. It's actually a much better idea to introduce a new scheme with new amenities in the spring. It could attract record ridership in the summer. This is actually what they should have done in the first place! 

So to answer your question, hell yeah this hit me out of left field because I was told it wasn't supposed to show up until the TA XD60 pilots came in. I already posted about the audio visual pilot which will place LED displays in 200 buses. This will be introduced on the option orders from New Flyer and Nova as well.

You know, I was wondering what happened with that Audio/Visual pilot. It makes me happy to see an update.

Yup, I agree on the politics part, Spring and Summer are approaching and the Q10 runs to the airport? Hell yeah thats politics lmao! And the Xcelsiors already have that design that grabs eyes.

I saw what looked like a brand new, ghost white LFS artic on Main Street a week or two ago. There was one person operating it and another person in the front seat. Not sure where it was going, but it looked like it was an (MTA) bus.

Anyway, where are these info screens going to be placed in the bus?

Also, the M15 has started having digital screens at some UES stops displaying how many stops away the next buses are. Who is paying for that? Is it a pilot test?

Those tend to be funded out of the discretionary budgets that Council members get.

Archived