Call for 3 extension to Linden Blvd

46Dover

Is it really necessary to extend the (3) to Linden? To tear down many buildings that can be potentially be used for hospitals are something is really extreme especially when those people have transportation options over there.

If you read the article, he's proposing using two of the existing yard tracks.

There are two playgrounds, each to one side of the lead tracks to the yard. What the MTA could do is build two tracks out of the curve that leads to the yard, fly over Linwood playground and unto Linwood Street. It's a straight shot to Flatlands. I'll draw a map when I get home.

They could for that matter likewise extend the (C) to Linden, through Pitkin Yard (some of the tracks end right near a delivery entrance on Linden). Though this would require a shuttle or something to serve the new station overnight when the (C) doesn't run.

There are two playgrounds, each to one side of the lead tracks to the yard. What the MTA could do is build two tracks out of the curve that leads to the yard, fly over Linwood playground and unto Linwood Street. It's a straight shot to Flatlands. I'll draw a map when I get home.

Less likely to get backing if you have to build entirely new infrastructure no? As Lance said it's basically a 148th street a way easier pill to swallow. With all the other infrastructure priorities in the city. I feel like you got to take what you can get. 

Probably so, but if a couple of tracks within the yard were converted it would make it much harder to extend it to Flatlands. They should go all-in or not at all with this. They might as well take the line all the way to Flatlands in one shot.

Probably so, but if a couple of tracks within the yard were converted it would make it much harder to extend it to Flatlands. They should go all-in or not at all with this. They might as well take the line all the way to Flatlands in one shot.

I rather not have residents of spring creek not complain about losing their homes.

There may also be some complaints about an El in their hood similar to how the (N) extension was proposed.

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in reality it will not work. If  my memory serves me correctly as I lived on Elton Street between Sutter and Blake Avenues (the building is still there across from the Seventh Day Adventist Church) almost sixty years ago, that was the closest playground to where we lived and I do not think that the community will go along with it. The Playground is where my interest in trains began a long time ago as I remember the IRT trains going back and forth to New Lots Avenue Station through it.

Nor do I think that the MTA will go along with it as it will result in the loss of valuable yard space in Brooklyn where they have nothing other than Livonia Yard and that does not have enough space period..

The US and New York in particular needs to find better ways to fund public transportation. Allowing corporations, realty and citizen crowd funding to help pay for new stations and lines.  All this Real estate going up in the city. If the developer wants to develop several properties in a area or borough they should be able to put 20,50 or 100 Million together.. They can't fit the bill for 10th Ave  Station on the (7)? why? They'd sell more unit's. The people here in Spring Creek should be able to crowd source part of the cost!  Direct donations one time deduction of the check. It's time to democratize this process. enough's enough's. This City needs a serious transportation champion!

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in reality it will not work. If  my memory serves me correctly as I lived on Elton Street between Sutter and Blake Avenues (the building is still there across from the Seventh Day Adventist Church) almost sixty years ago, that was the closest playground to where we lived and I do not think that the community will go along with it. The Playground is where my interest in trains began a long time ago as I remember the IRT trains going back and forth to New Lots Avenue Station through it.

Nor do I think that the MTA will go along with it as it will result in the loss of valuable yard space in Brooklyn where they have nothing other than Livonia Yard and that does not have enough space period..

Good point!

The US and New York in particular needs to find better ways to fund public transportation. Allowing corporations, realty and citizen crowd funding to help pay for new stations and lines. All this Real estate going up in the city. If the developer wants to develop several properties in a area or borough they should be able to put 20,50 or 100 Million together.. They can't fit the bill for 10th Ave Station on the (7)? why? They'd sell more unit's. The people here in Spring Creek should be able to crowd source part of the cost! Direct donations one time deduction of the check. It's time to democratize this process. enough's enough's. This City needs a serious transportation champion!

Good point!

I remember reading in the article that it was suggested that the (3) could use other A division yards....huh? There was a reason the (2) and (3) were switched all those years ago, the (3), like the (R) from Ditmars to 95th, had nowhere to go for repairs (148 to Flatbush)

This is one of those ideas that looks good on paper but in reality it will not work. If my memory serves me correctly as I lived on Elton Street between Sutter and Blake Avenues (the building is still there across from the Seventh Day Adventist Church) almost sixty years ago, that was the closest playground to where we lived and I do not think that the community will go along with it. The Playground is where my interest in trains began a long time ago as I remember the IRT trains going back and forth to New Lots Avenue Station through it.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm surprised that we have so many posters who overlooked the obvious obstacle while appearing to champion the destruction of somebody's  neighborhood for so little gain.I thought I'd see a response like yours within the first 5 posts. When I lived in the neighborhood and worked out of Livonia Yard my idea to benefit the neighborhood's transit options was to expand the yard to increase train storage options during peak hours.At that time all I could see was the obvious decline around the yard where the adjacent streets became a wide open dumping area with no NYPD or sanitation police enforcement. I did know about some of the planned improvements but I never really connected all the dots. Instead the downward decline of the neighborhood was stopped, new housing was built to the south/southeast of the yard, the mall was constructed at the extreme southern edge and the B84 bus service was introduced recently. IMO that's the best outcome for that area. No destruction of private property, no upheaval of the residents and the B84 service can be increased if warranted. I think there are many more pressing transport needs then this idea. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Even if extending to Flatlands was possible without property destruction, it probably is not a good idea simply because Flatlands is a significantly higher flood risk than either the yard (which exists already, in any case) or New Lots.

You hit the nail on the head. I'm surprised that we have so many posters who overlooked the obvious obstacle while appearing to champion the destruction of somebody's  neighborhood for so little gain.I thought I'd see a response like yours within the first 5 posts. When I lived in the neighborhood and worked out of Livonia Yard my idea to benefit the neighborhood's transit options was to expand the yard to increase train storage options during peak hours.At that time all I could see was the obvious decline around the yard where the adjacent streets became a wide open dumping area with no NYPD or sanitation police enforcement. I did know about some of the planned improvements but I never really connected all the dots. Instead the downward decline of the neighborhood was stopped, new housing was built to the south/southeast of the yard, the mall was constructed at the extreme southern edge and the B84 bus service was introduced recently. IMO that's the best outcome for that area. No destruction of private property, no upheaval of the residents and the B84 service can be increased if warranted. I think there are many more pressing transport needs then this idea. Just my opinion. Carry on.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you were to just use two of the yard tracks, how would that destroy the playgrounds or the properties adjacent to the yard? From what I understand the person proposing the idea wants a two track station south of Linden, and it doesn't look like anything is next to the yard in that area.

Even if extending to Flatlands was possible without property destruction, it probably is not a good idea simply because Flatlands is a significantly higher flood risk than either the yard (which exists already, in any case) or New Lots.

Pardon my ignorance, but if you were to just use two of the yard tracks, how would that destroy the playgrounds or the properties adjacent to the yard? From what I understand the person proposing the idea wants a two track station south of Linden, and it doesn't look like anything is next to the yard in that area.

The playgrounds straddle the yard leads before you actually enter the yard itself. That's 2 blocks from New Lots station itself and where the tracks turn southward between New Lots and Hegeman. The yard tracks themselves and the barn are built over Hegeman and Linden Boulevard and end at Stanley Avenue between Elton and Linwood Streets. Everything south of the yard between Elton and Linwood is occupied by industrial and/or residential property all the way down to Flatlands Avenue where there is new construction. There is no vacant land to build a station down there. That's why it wasn't done.back when the yard was constructed almost 100 years ago. The land was never unused or vacant even back then. That area had farms before the lots were broken up and sold for housing and factories. BTW I may be old but everything I've related can be found at the New Lots Avenue branch of the Brooklyn Public Library or the branch at Grand Army Plaza. There's plenty written about New Lots' history out there. Carry on.

Gateway Center Mall? For that matter, they may as well extend the (6) to Bay Plaza in the Bronx while they're at it but that hasn't been proposed either....

It was proposed to extend the 6 to Co-op in 1968, but nothing ever really came of it.

Sounds like something a politician of a Robert Moses caliber would do and not give a second thought.

Similar proposal back in 1971 to extend the Canarsie line east to the Bklyn/Queens border along what appears to be Linden Boulevard. As well as a westward extension to Approx Bedford Avenue?Brooklyn College along the LIRR right-of-way.

12_NYT71_MTA_Bklyn_Qns.jpg

It would be nice if they had extended the (3) to JFK Airport, instead of building that BS Airtrain...

The port authority is greedy and didn't want to NYC Subway running on their property. They wanted customer to pay twice to get to the subway and LIRR. It's unfortunate and what makes matters worst is the B15's lacking frequency in service inbound and outbound the airport. The Q10 is little more reliable by about 10%, I'm guessing.

As an airport employee myself, it would be nice if the short turns ended at Lefferts Blvd-Airtrain Station instead of Elderts Lane but that's just me....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The port authority is greedy and didn't want to NYC Subway running on their property. They wanted customer to pay twice to get to the subway and LIRR. It's unfortunate and what makes matters worst is the B15's lacking frequency in service inbound and outbound the airport. The Q10 is little more reliable by about 10%, I'm guessing.

As an airport employee myself, it would be nice if the short turns ended at Lefferts Blvd-Airtrain Station instead of Elderts Lane but that's just me....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It's a bit more complicated than that. The AirTrain was built using a surcharge on passenger tickets. Under federal law, there are many restrictions on how exactly that money can be used; one of the stipulations is that it has to be exclusively for airport passengers. So anything with intermediate stops would've been out of the question, which is why proposals to use the RBB or Atlantic Avenue or run up the Van Wyck to LGA failed in the past; they wouldn't be allowed to stop in the middle, so all the neighbors get all the drawbacks of an elevated line and none of the benefits of expanded transit access.

Extending the subway wouldn't have been a good idea, because the train can't stop at all the terminals the way the AirTrain does, so you'd still need to build a people mover for that. Where that was done it hasn't particularly panned out well (see: SFO)

It's a bit more complicated than that. The AirTrain was built using a surcharge on passenger tickets. Under federal law, there are many restrictions on how exactly that money can be used; one of the stipulations is that it has to be exclusively for airport passengers. So anything with intermediate stops would've been out of the question, which is why proposals to use the RBB or Atlantic Avenue or run up the Van Wyck to LGA failed in the past; they wouldn't be allowed to stop in the middle, so all the neighbors get all the drawbacks of an elevated line and none of the benefits of expanded transit access.

Extending the subway wouldn't have been a good idea, because the train can't stop at all the terminals the way the AirTrain does, so you'd still need to build a people mover for that. Where that was done it hasn't particularly panned out well (see: SFO)

Perhaps that is something that needs to be revisited in the future with the understanding that such needs to be both.  

Archived