Myrtle Ave Line to be Closed, Starting Summer 2017

R32 3838

The M line between Metropolitan ave and Myrtle ave will be shutdown in a span of 10 months according to the MTA, the first two months the bridge south of metropolitan ave will be replaced and after that work is complete, A special shuttle train will run between the metropolitan and myrtle - Wycoff.

Normal (M) trains will run between Broadway junction and forest hills. All of this work is expected to be completed in the spring of 2018. The (J) and (Z) will run local between Marcy and bway jct.

Equipment wise the (M) will continue to use R160's.

The Special Shuttle will use R32's due to the temporary barn only able to fit two cars (yes they're building a temporary barn in or next to fresh pond yard) this came from two sources (disclaimer this is all subject to change)

The M line between Metropolitan ave and Myrtle ave will be shutdown in a span of 10 months according to the MTA, the first two months the bridge south of metropolitan ave will be replaced and after that work is complete, A special shuttle train will run between the metropolitan and myrtle - Wycoff.

Normal (M) trains will run between Broadway junction and forest hills. All of this work is expected to be completed in the spring of 2018. The (J) and (Z) will run local between Marcy and bway jct.

Equipment wise the (M) will continue to use R160's.

The Special Shuttle will use R32's due to the temporary barn only able to fit two cars (yes they're building a temporary barn in or next to fresh pond yard) this came from two sources (disclaimer this is all subject to change)

Does this mean weekend service will run between Essex and Broadway Junction ? Also, I'm assuming no late night service.

Does this mean weekend service will run between Essex and Broadway Junction ? Also, I'm assuming no late night service.

There's no mention of weekend service to Essex st, I'm sure they'll increase the headways on the J/L lines on the weekends to replace the M, as for the one track shuttle between metropolitan and wycoff, I don't know if its going to be 24/7 or not

I thought mid 2017 sounded a bit familiar. http://www.mta.info/press-release/nyc-transit/mta-moves-forward-queens-blvd-line-signal-improvement-project

I wonder if they're still planning to start "major installation work" on CBTC in Queens at the same time as this is going to happen

They seem to be pretty content giving queens blvd the shaft whenever possible, so probably. 

They seem to be pretty content giving queens blvd the shaft whenever possible, so probably. 

How, in anyway, is that giving Queens Boulevard "the shaft"? If something has to be disrupted in order for it to improve (which is inevitable), then I don't see the problem.

How, in anyway, is that giving Queens Boulevard "the shaft"? If something has to be disrupted in order for it to improve (which is inevitable), then I don't see the problem.

There are those who don't look at the future and only look at the here and now.

That may be, but people do have to get places during these disruptions. While they are necessary, these disruptions should be as painless as possible.

The (M) won't have access to FP yard so will there be any change in equipment? Or will ENY be overflowing with R160s from FP?

The latter is probably most likely, given that the (M) is based from ENY. Besides, yards just store trains, that's it. Whereas, shops repair trains all the time.

The (M) won't have access to FP yard so will there be any change in equipment? Or will ENY be overflowing with R160s from FP?

The R32's will run on the metropolitan to wycoff shuttle, they're putting a temporary barn in fresh pond yard that can only fit two cars hence why they're going to use R32's, the (J) would gain about 3-4 more sets of R160's

The stored (M) trains that are usually stored at FP will probably use the middle tracks between Marcy and chuancey st hence the reason why the (J) and (Z) IG going local between Marcy and Broadway junction

That may be, but people do have to get places during these disruptions. While they are necessary, these disruptions should be as painless as possible.

There's no such thing as a "painless" disruption. That's why it's called a disruption.

Hence why I said "as painless as possible". You can't shut down too many sections of the subway at once. It puts way too much pressure on the remaining services, both on the subway, as well as the bus network.

The R32's will run on the metropolitan to wycoff shuttle, they're putting a temporary barn in fresh pond yard that can only fit two cars hence why they're going to use R32's, the (J) would gain about 3-4 more sets of R160's

The stored (M) trains that are usually stored at FP will probably use the middle tracks between Marcy and chuancey st hence the reason why the (J) and (Z) IG going local between Marcy and Broadway junction

They're only running one 2 car train? That's a recipe for disaster...

In the likely event that the CBTC installation requires reduction in rush-hour E and F service, doing that concurrently with a reduction in local M service would compound an already disruptive service change. 

Trust me: I'm very well aware that service needs to be disrupted in order for it to improve, however, I do hold the opinion that rush hour service should be preserved as close as possible to regular service if at all possible. I contend Two rush-hour service changes running concurrently on Queens Blvd is too much for the second busiest trunk in the system to handle. 

What I meant by my statement, about them being content to neglect queens blvd is primarily the fact that there seems to be the belief that the R is all the queens blvd service that's needed. In the event of disruption somewhere on 6th ave, for instance, they're content to short turn the M at chambers and let the already-constantly-delayed R train try to deal with double the ridership it already has. This happens more frequently than you'd think. 

Turning the 25% of M trains not going all the way through at 2nd ave during this disruption would be the ideal way to maintain service as close as possible to normal levels, but I highly doubt they will do that, and I would not be surprised if they disrupted the E and the F at the same time. 

I am simply in favor of the minimum possible disruption in order to accomplish the work. 

There's no such thing as a "painless" disruption. That's why it's called a disruption.

I really don't think it's shortsighted to advocate that service be disrupted to the smallest extent possible while performing work during rush hour. 

Hence why I said "as painless as possible". You can't shut down too many sections of the subway at once. It puts way too much pressure on the remaining services, both on the subway, as well as the bus network.

^ this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived