Best/Worst Terminal Thread

pjbr40

Not to mention what if the LIRR gets messed up and you have a massive crowd of people waiting at Sutphin like this...

BN-KC891_NYLIRR_TOP_20150902110345.jpg

The (M) cannot handle that.

I think they screwed up when they put the (E) on the upper level. Notice how no one is going down those escalators to the (J). I wonder if the (J)(Z) were on the upper level, would they get more riders?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they screwed up when they put the (E) on the upper level. Notice how no one is going down those escalators to the (J). I wonder if the (J)(Z) were on the upper level, would they get more riders?

I don't think so. People would still be attracted to the (E) since it goes to midtown and it is express.

For me, it's the same at Broad St with the (J)(Z) in terms of not having to wonder about which track the train leaves from, but in the event that a (J) is extremely late coming from Brooklyn, they will have the train leave from the southbound platform, then use the switch north of the station. (I experienced this a few months ago).

Same here. At least they gave advance warning, though, so unless you came at the last minute, at least you were able to make it over to the other side in time to catch 

Anybody at Jamaica Center and Sutphin-JFK who take the (J) are only going a few stops. Those that take the (E) are going towards Court Square/Manhattan.

Same here. At least they gave advance warning, though, so unless you came at the last minute, at least you were able to make it over to the other side in time to catch

Fortunately, I was there before the train arrived. They waited for everyone to come across, but some were glued to their smartphones.

Anybody at Jamaica Center and Sutphin-JFK who take the (J) are only going a few stops. Those that take the (E) are going towards Court Square/Manhattan.

this shows that skip/stop has failed. Instead, a third track should be installed on the Jamaica El. Express trains would only stop at the following: Jamaica Center, Sutphin, Woodhaven, Broadway Junction, Myrtle Avenue, Marcy Avenue (or this could be skipped as well), Essex, Canal, Chambers, Fulton and Broad. This certainly would save time and reduce crowding on the (E). A third track would be constructed over Jamaica Avenue betwen Cypress Hills and Broadway Junction, and using the provisions at Woodhaven Blvd, the station would be made an express stop.

this shows that skip/stop has failed. Instead, a third track should be installed on the Jamaica El. Express trains would only stop at the following: Jamaica Center, Sutphin, Woodhaven, Broadway Junction, Myrtle Avenue, Marcy Avenue (or this could be skipped as well), Essex, Canal, Chambers, Fulton and Broad. This certainly would save time and reduce crowding on the (E). A third track would be constructed over Jamaica Avenue betwen Cypress Hills and Broadway Junction, and using the provisions at Woodhaven Blvd, the station would be made an express stop.

Marcy Avenue is a pretty busy station. Skip Stop trains used to skip Bowery but it stopped due to high ridership in that station in 2002-2003. 

And Alabama is another busy station which is why they added it.

Marcy Avenue is a pretty busy station. Skip Stop trains used to skip Bowery but it stopped due to high ridership in that station in 2002-2003. 

And Alabama is another busy station which is why they added it.

then add Marcy and Bowery

22367527086_d4d28800df_z.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-22 at 4.42.45 PM by spicker613, on Flickr

21772413953_aa8b288e6f_z.jpgScreen Shot 2015-10-22 at 4.42.53 PM by spicker613, on Flickr

EDIT: I didn't realize this but this is my 4000th post! Long Live NYCTF!

I heard the (Z) only saves like 1-2 minutes (I know any time saved is crucial, but more could be saved).

They also need to realign the section between Broadway Junction and Cypress Hills so trains don't have to slow down ridiculously when bending around the curve.

They ran (J) and (Z) trains express there (bypass); a map I have from 1993 shows the (J) service in a lighter font (which signifies part time service). No skip-stop in Manhattan.

I guess I'm an exception considering that I use the (J) five days a week between Norwood Av and Sutphin Blvd to get to work.

I heard the (Z) only saves like 1-2 minutes (I know any time saved is crucial, but more could be saved).

I think they ran (J) and (Z) trains express there; a map I have from 1993 shows the (J) service in a lighter font (which signifies part time service).

The part time fonts usually is a pencil font. I know what you're talking about but parts of the map back then showed that font you said (I think it had to do with the design layout at the time) because of other stations/lines had that font but were full time stops.

The (J) and (Z) indeed ran express in Manhattan and bypassed Bowery back many years ago; this is confirmed via NYCSubway.org.

Going back on topic, Bowling Green station has a good terminal setup, but not a good function as terminating/reversing (5) trains usually conflict with (4) trains from Brooklyn.

The (J) and (Z) indeed ran express in Manhattan and bypassed Bowery back many years ago; this is confirmed via NYCSubway.org.

Going back on topic, Bowling Green station has a good terminal setup, but not a good function as terminating/reversing (5) trains usually conflict with (4) trains from Brooklyn.

Bowery I know the (J)(Z) Bypassed. I thought you were talking about Marcy.

Another Terminal I like is Court Square on the (G) .

To me Coney Island is the best terminal due the flexibility of service and passenger flow. Not to mention you have four subway lines coming together and eventually meeting up again points north which is good for when theres a G.O. like the (N) going over the (D) or vice versa

The trains are close enough to the buildings as it is on Jamaica Av. Turning Woodhaven into a 3 track-2 island platform will have to destroy a few buildings to make the el wider.

Then you got a bunch of electrical rooms built in the space of the middle track that all have to be relocated, then you gotta strengthen the entire el itself; the entire stretch on Jamaica is just as old as the Brooklyn Bridge.

To me Coney Island is the best terminal due the flexibility of service and passenger flow. Not to mention you have four subway lines coming together and eventually meeting up again points north which is good for when theres a G.O. like the (N) going over the (D) or vice versa

Southbound (F) trains commonly get held between Neptune Avenue and West 8th Street from my experience.

Coney Island is best. One time in past, I saw an (F) train running via the (D) line toward Coney Island.. I don't know why that happen that night. 

i think the main street terminal is little eh. I seen some get back up especially rush hour when it can't handle it because of how the set up was with three end tracks. 

I agree the skip-stop is kind of a flop since it doesn't really accomplish what it was set out to do. But at the same time, a Jamaica El Express would only benefit people going to Lower Manhattan. It seems like everyone is traveling to Midtown or anywhere north of Midtown so the (E) is the only viable option.

Archived