Best/Worst Terminal Thread

pjbr40

I agree the skip-stop is kind of a flop since it doesn't really accomplish what it was set out to do. But at the same time, a Jamaica El Express would only benefit people going to Lower Manhattan. It seems like everyone is traveling to Midtown or anywhere north of Midtown so the (E) is the only viable option.

have some of the trains rerouted up Sixth Avenue.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a good idea for the Rush Hours.

some (M)s would run to JC as (K)s, and some (M)s would have to be rerouted back to Nassau. Or, the Worth Street Connection could be built and it connect to the Williamsburg Bridge. (E)s would run via Fulton and the (C) would run via the Williamsburg Bridge to Jamaica Center as the Jamaica Express. This would avoid the West Fourth bottleneck.

some (M)s would run to JC as (K)s, and some (M)s would have to be rerouted back to Nassau. Or, the Worth Street Connection could be built and it connect to the Williamsburg Bridge. (E)s would run via Fulton and the (C) would run via the Williamsburg Bridge to Jamaica Center as the Jamaica Express. This would avoid the West Fourth bottleneck.

Thats just overdoing it and confusing right there. 

Did Wallyhorse hack into your account?

terminal in definition is a place where the train end to disembark and embark passengers. it had nothing to do with the crews changing at certain point. 

I am aware of that, but there are employees who know better than I do, for example, in the quoted post below. (and mentioning a "crew change" was quite misleading; it depends on the call letters)

Bedford Park southbound IS the terminal for 95% of  (D) runs out of Stillwell. The employee schedule cards even reflect this, showing 205 as a stop, then relay time, then leaving 205 southbound, then the scheduled arrival time at Bedford Park southbound as their terminal (still using their call letters from when they left Stillwell). Once the new crew gets on at Bedford (always 2 minutes for the crew change) they have new call letters for the time that train leaves Bedford Park.

I agree the skip-stop is kind of a flop since it doesn't really accomplish what it was set out to do. But at the same time, a Jamaica El Express would only benefit people going to Lower Manhattan. It seems like everyone is traveling to Midtown or anywhere north of Midtown so the (E) is the only viable option.

While I am quoting your post, this is not directed entirely at you. I just don't feel like quoting a half-dozen posts that say practically the same thing.

Skip-stop service is less about faster trains, but rather more for passenger distribution. Of course there isn't much of a time savings as trains are only skipping every other station. They aren't flying by on a dedicated express track with nothing in front of them.

And to end this pointless debate, both the absolute last stop of a line, as well as where the train change crews can be considered terminals. It all depends on how the term is interpreted.

Bestterminal 34 st Hudson yards because of the very excellent configuration as well as it is temperature controlled and the architect is beautiful and the tunnels before approaching this terminal is lighted like the WMATA Metro and top it off it is quiet

Worst station. ..Midwood Flatbush ave Brooklyn college. ..why. ..because of the poor configuration i mean lets say that you enter by the stairway of the supposed to be northern platform and apparently the bell rings and heck the train departing is of the supposed southbound platform you wouldhave to rrun all the way down the end of the platform and pray to catch the departing train. ..to must is better off to board this station at the Avenue H stairways for to NOT miss any train either departing the northbound or southbound platforms

All other terminals have fair configuration but lack of services for passengers. ..Jamaica 179 and Flushing main st are also minor disconfigurated but not as bad as Flatbush ave

this shows that skip/stop has failed. Instead, a third track should be installed on the Jamaica El. Express trains would only stop at the following: Jamaica Center, Sutphin, Woodhaven, Broadway Junction, Myrtle Avenue, Marcy Avenue (or this could be skipped as well), Essex, Canal, Chambers, Fulton and Broad. This certainly would save time and reduce crowding on the (E). A third track would be constructed over Jamaica Avenue betwen Cypress Hills and Broadway Junction, and using the provisions at Woodhaven Blvd, the station would be made an express stop.

I would add 121st just because you have a connection to the Q10 to JFK

i am surprised no one mention 36 street as temporary terminal. Back in old days when the  (B) train terminated there. The (B) was shuttle between 36 street and coney island via west end line. Also no one mention that the brown (M) terminated there as well. That was when the brown (M) was serving between brooklyn and metropolitan ave. Now it just a late night service for the (R) shuttle to 95 street. That is the weirdest worst terminal to me. 

i am surprised no one mention 36 street as temporary terminal. Back in old days when the   (B) train terminated there. The (B) was shuttle between 36 street and coney island via west end line. Also no one mention that the brown (M) terminated there as well. That was when the brown (M) was serving between brooklyn and metropolitan ave. Now it just a late night service for the (R) shuttle to 95 street. That is the weirdest worst terminal to me. 

The brown (M) terminated at 9th Avenue middays, not 36th Street.

i am surprised no one mention 36 street as temporary terminal. Back in old days when the (B) train terminated there. The (B) was shuttle between 36 street and coney island via west end line. Also no one mention that the brown (M) terminated there as well. That was when the brown (M) was serving between brooklyn and metropolitan ave. Now it just a late night service for the (R) shuttle to 95 street. That is the weirdest worst terminal to me.

The (B) only terminated at 36th Street during the overnights...

i am surprised no one mention 36 street as temporary terminal. Back in old days when the   (B) train terminated there. The (B) was shuttle between 36 street and coney island via west end line. Also no one mention that the brown (M) terminated there as well. That was when the brown (M) was serving between brooklyn and metropolitan ave. Now it just a late night service for the (R) shuttle to 95 street. That is the weirdest worst terminal to me. 

It was also a terminal for (R) trains coming from Manhattan during a few GOs. (R) trains would proceed to 9 Avenue out-of-service to turn back.

No it isn't. It's the combined rush hour frequencies of the (2) and (5) trains that make it difficult for Flatbush to handle all of them, which is why some have to go to Utica/New Lots during that timeframe. Even Utica often has that problem with the combined frequencies of the (4) and some of the (5) trains heading down there.

It is. Trains have to enter very slowly into the terminal due to the bumper block being close. Plus you have to use the end to change sides. So I disagree with you.

Archived