How strictly is Vision Zero enforced?

I found myself in the heart of Queens earlier when going northbound on the Van Wyck turned out to be a bad idea.  I ended up on Queens Boulevard somehow and I was doing 30 or so when I remembered the speed limits had been lowered and that speed was enforced "by photo radar," so I immediately slowed down to 20 and just turned off to a side street.

Then again, I drove through Far Rockaway in the summer doing 35 and no one cared... but I want to actually learn some of these streets so I know where to go if the parkways end up FUBAR.

It all depends. When the cops need to meet their ticket quotas, they hide off the side of main streets like Atlantic Ave with their radar guns. Otherwise they go about their business. 25MPH is SLOW.

As for the "photo enforcement" it's a blanket statement that is now applied to School Zones, I'm sure the city probably hopes to put up speed cameras wherever they want for revenue purposes, I mean, safety purposes in which the signs would still apply.

The speed camera placement is questionable as they're placed several blocks from schools, usually in locations where the school cannot be seen. It is nothing but a money grab.

The speed camera placement is questionable as they're placed several blocks from schools, usually in locations where the school cannot be seen. It is nothing but a money grab.

Some of them are in areas where kids have no reason to be. On Goethals Road North, they have a 15 mph speed limit near a school, and it's the service road to the friggin' expressway.  <_< What are those kids going to do, run across the street to play in the grass alongside the highway or something? Yeah, drivers should be a little more cautious once they get to the light at South Avenue where kids can legitimately cross (but even then, it's the same level of cautiousness they should take at any intersection). 

Some of them are in areas where kids have no reason to be. On Goethals Road North, they have a 15 mph speed limit near a school, and it's the service road to the friggin' expressway. <_< What are those kids going to do, run across the street to play in the grass alongside the highway or something? Yeah, drivers should be a little more cautious once they get to the light at South Avenue where kids can legitimately cross (but even then, it's the same level of cautiousness they should take at any intersection).

Many locations haven't even had incidents of children being hit, they're just placed for revenue potential

This is one of those ideas that the great elite came up to push on the majority of the public who follow the laws and is designed to show the masses that they did something for them. There never will be an absolute zero in terms of pedestrian deaths as there will always be drivers that will not follow the law in terms of the speed limit, pedestrians in la-la land and our esteemed clueless elected officials who come up with solutions to problems that do not need totally impractical solutions. 

What disturbs me that is that this entire bit of absolute stupidity is diverting money from other things which reflect on the city like the New York Post reported today as the money for this nonsense came from removing graffiti which should be a top priority. It took the New York Post to shame our famous transportation commissioner and her genius boss, the comrade himself to have a photo op where the great mighty leader is shown to doing something "constructive".

If these two fantastic geniuses want to do something good, they would read the history of New York City during the 1960's and 1970's and take it to heart and dump this useless bit of stupidity. They will never do it as they are too rapped up in this useless bit of drivel to admit that they are wrong

It's not as enforced as you believe it is. But just be wary of the cameras as they obviously enforce it 100%. Also remember that bigger roads had their limits increased back up again to probably 30..which is still insanely slow for that type of traffic. I'm still mad that Ocean Parkway is still 25.

Most people still cruise as if Vision Zero never existed, they only slow down if they see a patrol car with the radar's mounted on the trunk, a camera, or notice that everyone slowed down for whatever reason.

TLDR: Be aware of all speed cameras and radars, they are placed in plain sight or cleverly in a parked vehicle by a light.

I was on Brookville Boulevard earlier and I stuck to 25 but I could tell that cars were still doing no less than 10 over.  Is the "photo radar" thing just a blanket warning?

It's a blanket warning. The city was trying to get speed cameras all over the place, If they get it approved then they don't have to change the signs.

Ever since Vision Zero, I feel pedestrians have been more daring crossing busy streets. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen some idiot in the Bronx jaywalk a two way, 4 lane street against moving traffic. It's like Frogger come to life I swear....

Ever since Vision Zero, I feel pedestrians have been more daring crossing busy streets. If I had a nickel for every time I've seen some idiot in the Bronx jaywalk a two way, 4 lane street against moving traffic. It's like Frogger come to life I swear....

One of the reasons why I dread driving the Midtown/Downtown routes for Lakeland, or even charters for that matter....

This is why I made my previous statement about this useless program. Every day I see how the pedestrians dare motorists to hit them even though the motorist is in the right and has the right of way and they do this all over the city. This is a money maker for the city and in a way it is discriminatory as there are far more motorists getting tickets as compared with pedestrians who cross against the light.

If the elite that proposed this dumb idea would have concentrated on going after the motorists who speed up when the see the light about to change and the pedestrians who cross against the light then the same goal of reducing pedestrian deaths would be achieved with the same amount of revenue. This will not be done as long as those in their ivory towers do not want to admit that there is a far better solution to this problem and it came from (gasp!) the general public. 

If the elite that proposed this dumb idea would have concentrated on going after the motorists who speed up when the see the light about to change and the pedestrians who cross against the light then the same goal of reducing pedestrian deaths would be achieved with the same amount of revenue. This will not be done as long as those in their ivory towers do not want to admit that there is a far better solution to this problem and it came from (gasp!) the general public. 

Many speed up when the light is about to change, because if you get caught at one light it can cascade. I've been in situations where if I make the light I can cruse down the rest of the road or to the point where I want to turn. but if I get caught, then I'm playing "red light,green light, 1 2 3" and it's annoying.

Because of these red light cameras, I've actually seen more people SLAM their brakes to avoid getting caught in the yellow (ie. Ocean Parkway/Church Avenue) and people need to realize that this causes more accidents than it's preventing.

Double-edged sword if you ask me.

This is why I made my previous statement about this useless program. Every day I see how the pedestrians dare motorists to hit them even though the motorist is in the right and has the right of way and they do this all over the city. This is a money maker for the city and in a way it is discriminatory as there are far more motorists getting tickets as compared with pedestrians who cross against the light.

YOU SEE why do you think i propose this law it pretty much gives pedestrians a license to JAYWALK and demonizes cars and what not and equates the driver to the devil.

Now is the time to start watching who will be running for mayor next year and to start asking the potential candidates if they will do away with this absurdity known as "vision zero" and make the candidate put it in writing and publicize it.

It seems that where there is smoke, there is fire and this mayor may be on his way out of office soon if the investigations that are going on now start to bear fruit. If he goes then  the person who takes over should get rid of this phony goal that will never be achieved and go after the idiotic pedestrians and the fools who drive like they do not care.

Because of these red light cameras, I've actually seen more people SLAM their brakes to avoid getting caught in the yellow (ie. Ocean Parkway/Church Avenue) and people need to realize that this causes more accidents than it's preventing.

I had to go around this car a couple of weeks ago because they SLAMMED on their breaks as soon as the light turned yellow when we both could have cruised through.

There is a reason that I wait until after the light turns red before i cross the street and that is to allow the motorist who cannot stop as he sees the yellow to go through the intersection. While I may wait until the light turns red, there are many pedestrians who just don't care as they just walk totally oblivious to the street. I find myself screaming most of the time at these idiots who will walk against the red light without looking both ways and the only reason that I do it is that I do not want to be a witness to an accident. The problem is that I have to yell at the top of my lungs to get their attention as they either have the ear plugs on or are looking down at their brain (mobile device) instead of looking at the street.

I had to go around this car a couple of weeks ago because they SLAMMED on their breaks as soon as the light turned yellow when we both could have cruised through.

Agreed.

It's not the people going through the light a split second after it turns red (when the light at the cross street is red anyway, and any waiting cars and pedestrians should be looking both ways before moving) who are causing the accidents. It's the people who make quick turns without looking (one happened in Great Kills today) and people who jaywalk recklessly (without paying any attention to the cars whatsoever) who cause the majority of accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

So, in general, is it a bad idea to be doing 25 on every public road in the city?

Yes, there are roads in the city, especially in the outer boroughs, where 25 is making more traffic than it should be. Examples would be Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn and Queens Boulevard in Queens. Also realize that more traffic equals slower bus service where bus lanes aren't available.

Archived