How strictly is Vision Zero enforced?

I actually don't see this lasting very long. If New Jersey and Nassau County took down their red light cameras, then who's to say the same can't happen in New York?

People almost revolted here just to get the cameras removed. 20 MPH is a fricking joke.  Half the cyclists here would blow by me while I was crawling through one of those speed zones.  Immediately before and after school, okay, but to enforce it all day?  It was just a giant cash grab.

The problem with the red light cameras is that it is a cash cow and our fearless leaders would have to find another source of taxation to fund the idiotic programs that we do not need. There was no reason for vision zero and there will never be a reason for vision zero except in the minds of those who live on another planet. The idiots that are behind the wheel and the idiots who walk around with the headpieces like they are on another planet will never change so why doesn't our fearless leader pick on them? The reason is when you are one who believes that i give the orders and you follow them, they are the good guys and we are the bad guys  because they help justify his vision zero, no matter how worthless it is. This is 1984 remember!!

Wow, I misread that post earlier.  The speed cameras are what were deactivated, though the ones intended to be permanently mounted are still standing.  The videos I've seen pushing for red light cameras were people who drove through when the light was already red, not AS it was going from yellow to red.  All the sudden braking (like I had to do once) from people afraid of getting caught is only going to increase the chance of an accident happening because if there are 4-5 cars behind you, you can only hope they see your taillights on time.

People almost revolted here just to get the cameras removed. 20 MPH is a fricking joke.  Half the cyclists here would blow by me while I was crawling through one of those speed zones.  Immediately before and after school, okay, but to enforce it all day?  It was just a giant cash grab.

Exactly!

The problem with the mayor's vision zero is that it should have not have been on the streets but in his own office. 

Now the law enforcement community is doing their own vision zero on him and he is crying the blues.

Anyone know what are Letita James' views on vision zero as she is next in line to the throne if his honor is impeached?

As far as the one who will make the decision as to if the mayor will be impeached; His office just hit with subpoenas on the Buffalo thing so he may not be around either. 

Why did these geniuses not leave it alone and just send out the revenue agents to catch the violators but as Gotham Bus said this genius "had to find a solution in search of a problem!" 

• 3 weeks later...

Vision Zero has to go period as it will never be achieved as many of us have stated on this forum and other places. The problem is the mayor, pure and simple and the fact that no one is standing up to him and saying it will not work and that better enforcement of existing traffic laws on both sides (the pedestrians and the motorists) would do more to cut down on pedestrian deaths as compared with this Vision Zero garbage.

Where is the New York City Council and what is it doing on this issue? Has the Transportation Committee held hearings on it? Has any councilman come out publicly to state that it does not work and will not work? I think that most of the public is in for a rude awakening as it is coming to every part of the city for as soon as the Mayor and his comrades find an excuse to put into effect on a street, "they will do it and tell you that there is nothing that can be done about it" (Quotes mine). These dictators do not care about Community Boards, local organizations, bus riders or anyone else as "they have the divine right to impose their will on you whether you like it or not as the Mayor wants it" (Quotes mine). (If you want citations see Bay News May 6 - 12 and May 13 - 18 pp. 1)

Now it is bike lanes on Queens Boulevard and watch what happens there. No matter how many people will be hurt, the mayor and his underlings will say that it is a success. It seems that he has taken a page from the book  "How to lie with statistics" by Huff.

apparently that transportation alternatives group runs the city council show and they also want to ram pedestrian plazas down our throats and believes cars are the devil and when the twu challanged the law they demonized them and shouted slogans such as stop killing our kids DEFEND ROW etc. and you know my take on this pos disaster of a law

Well, Mayor Jackass is being plagued with multiple investigations, he might get kicked out before he even has a chance to stand for re-election in 2017, at which point his BS coalition will probably disintegrate. 

Now we have another investigation of his hizzoner and his friends going on as records have been subpoenaed on the sale of the Brooklyn Heights Library which a poster on Kingscountypolitics.com has been saying for months is dirty. The way that the sale of the property was handled and who got the property is quite fishy. This is another place where there is a lot of smoke and fire.The way that this one was handled on all levels indicate that if indictments are forthcoming, it may ensnare some other people as well. If anything the Brooklyn Heights Library and its business library deserve to stay there and the white elephant on Grand Army Plaza should be sacrificed first before the precious gem of the business library and the Brooklyn Heights branch are relocated.

The Local District Attorney or the United States Attorney should look carefully at the Transportation Alternatives group  being added to their list of investigations as there is a stench coming from there just like with the library. It may be time for the grand jury to examine their involvement in the Vision Zero fiasco. .

As far as the New York City (Soviet) Council is concerned, I think that William Shakespeare's quote "Cowards die a thousand deaths" applies to them . Hopefully soon, they will fall under the curious eyes of law enforcement as to the decision making process  and the fact that they will not lift a finger to destroy vision zero should come under law enforcement scrutiny as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think that you should be stopped for going 30 mph on a street as you are following the law (not the mayor's law). As I have stated time and time again, the few motorists who are not following the law, they should be targeted. The pedestrians are a different story as every single day, ti seems that they have become more daring in terms of crossing against the light and it is all over. I was at the Javits Center and I had to scream a couple of times at these nitwits that were asking for trouble.even with a traffic enforcement agent in the street directing traffic.

It is the pedestrians who in many cases deserve the tickets as when they cross the street against the light, they are asking for trouble. If they would start giving them tickets and fines for their stupidity, it may help. On the other hand, watch the jerks line up their friends on the Clown Council and soon these jerks will be demanding that they have the right to cross wherever they like so that they can make the motorists life more miserable.

• 4 weeks later...

A decision by a judge in Queens County yesterday has struck down the "vision zero" concept. The concept was dragged into court by the Transport Workers Union (Thank you for bringing it into court) is on behalf of the 18 bus drivers that have been caught in this bit of stupidity. The Transportation Alternatives group is howling mad at this decision as it does not fit into their relentless pursuit of destroying everything in its path to achieve its mindless stupidity that unfortunately will kill more people in the long run.

Here's to the Transport Worker's Union and I hope and pray that you will win on this case all the way through the courts!

This is what happens when those with an agenda and a "my way or the highway attitude" are placed in positions of power to further their mindless fantasies. When a plan is submitted that is well thought out, vetted by all that are impacted by the change and is implemented, there are few problems.When it is discussed in secret, thrown at the public like it the best thing since sliced bread and does not work, what do they expect, "Strawberry Shortcake"? 

What these elitists with their fancy/schmantzy degrees from the "prestigious schools" forget is that the mechanical toy that that they are playing with that helps justify this dumb idea is no substitute for the "brain". The part of their anatomy that has not been used.possibly in their entire life. Those of us who have taken advantage of this most important part of our anatomy would have thought about the implications of this dumb idea and would have never let vision zero see the light of day.as we would have seen the problems before implementation  and would have aborted it.  

Let's talk about one of the other things about Vision Zero, namely how it impacts non (MTA) companies.

One of the things I actually like was that all the Monday-Friday companies that come into Manhattan from New Jersey are given assigned stops to share with city buses, mostly along Madison Avenue, 7 Avenue, and Lower Manhattan for example. Whereas before, it was a free for all with people seemingly being let off here, there, and everywhere at anytime. I think it's a nice representation of my company (Lakeland Bus Lines) to be given stops in Manhattan, not to mention the idea is to make morning traffic less chaotic in the morning.

Another thing is that it has become mandatory that all Charter buses have to have a New York City permit in their windshield to be able to come in, otherwise the driver gets a ticket. Unfortunately with all these charters that come in by the dozens at a time, parking for the charter buses is at premium and I wish New York City would have done more to address this

My point is that items like changing stops and permits for charter buses could have been done and should have done without all the other nonsense that those of us who live outside the city as I refer to Mahattan as I live in one ot the otherr boroughs. Anything that makes traffic move better in Manhattan makes sense and that is what the City Department of Transportation should have been targeting and not coming up with the idiotic ideas that don't belong in the outer boroughs.

My statement concerning vision zero stands and if you want to see how detrimental it is in my neck of the woods, take a trip to Sheepshead Bay and check out East 15th Street between Avenue Z and Sheepshead Bay Road and how it has impacted upon the bus riders and the businesses in the area. When a pedestrian died on East 17th Street last December, all of us in the entire community had to pay the ultimate price for it. The only ones who are benefiting from this stupidity are the taxi drivers and the pigeons, no one else.

Let the City Department of Transportation concentrate on the real transportation problems in Manhattan and let the crazies on top and their comrade in chief start doing what they are supposed to be doing at this time like looking over their shoulder to see who is next in line to be called by the various investigatory groups.

Oh I can imagine. Like I said earlier (not sure on this thread), that if they can take out red light cameras here in New Jersey (some spots), then it's possible that many of these nonsensical laws would be thrown out. Hopefully, enough people will speak out and say enough is enough

Archived