Best/Worst Station Thread

I (C) what you did there. ^

Worst Station out of all the stations I know of, has to be 169 St on the (1)(C) and (A). That Station has been undergoing renovations since I was a little boy, plus it's falling into disrepair, the elevators are slow as fu**, and a lot of other shit.

"Puns are a crime against humanity."-Jacqui Briggs

I have to support Roosevelt Island - cleanest station in the system with a large and deep cavern that makes waiting for a train quite ambient. Despite its flaws, 34 St - Hudson Yards is also a fairly nice station (that cost way too much to build) and one of the few good terminal stations in the system.

Best Stations:

Coney Island (D)(F)(N)(Q)

Smith-9th (F)(G)

West Farms Square (2)(5) I just like watching trains go over the curve and it has a good view of Manhattan and the (6) line.

Broadway Junction (J)(L)(Z)

103rd St (B)(C) I love the way the express trains drop

City Hall (R) This station fascinates me

Most of the Rockaway Stations for its views of the water and airport

Worst Stations:

Chambers St (J)(Z)

21st St (G)

14th St (4)(5)(6) Those gap fillers causes problems.

E 143rd St (6)

Chambers St-WTC (A)(C)(E) The struggle of running between platforms.

Chambers St-WTC (A)(C)(E) The struggle of running between platforms.

Agreed. Ideally, the layout would've been similar to that of the 168th Street station, where the (E) trains arrive on the southbound track, relay, and then depart from the northbound track. In the event of a problem on the (A)(C), you have the (E) right there taking care of all passengers up to 50th Street. I know it was the original southern terminal of the (A) train, but still, they should've had the foresight to account for that.

^Lemme stop you right there. 145 St was an essential stop at the time, so they couldn't just close it like that.

At one point, they were gonna close 145 St. Around the time they were extending platforms, they were talking about closing it, owing to the fact the then-new 148 St was right there. The neighborhood opposed it, so it stayed opened

^Lemme stop you right there. 145 St was an essential stop at the time, so they couldn't just close it like that.

145th street is so close to 148th street. I believe it was suppose to serve as a replacement but residents protested and kept both stations open.

^That was my point. The reason why Worth St and 18th St and 91st St were closed was because they were in close proximity of the stations north or south of them, and because those stations received a platform extension that rendered 18th 91st and Worth St's to close. The IRT back then never thought NYC would boom with population like this. 145 St is an exception though. There's too big of a gap between 135 St and 148 St first of all. Second, 145 St is a pretty good used station in the system, so I understand why the MTA couldn't close it. So 145 St is the only station in the system (other then SF loop which doesn't count and the Franklin Avenue Shuttle Patforms) that still has a 5 car platform and is a pretty good used station in the system.

But, if they did extended the platforms at 145 St, wouldn't that have affected 135 St?

^That was my point. The reason why Worth St and 18th St and 91st St were closed was because they were in close proximity of the stations north or south of them, and because those stations received a platform extension that rendered 18th 91st and Worth St's to close. The IRT back then never thought NYC would boom with population like this. 145 St is an exception though. There's too big of a gap between 135 St and 148 St first of all. Second, 145 St is a pretty good used station in the system, so I understand why the MTA couldn't close it. So 145 St is the only station in the system (other then SF loop which doesn't count and the Franklin Avenue Shuttle Patforms) that still has a 5 car platform and is a pretty good used station in the system.

But, if they did extended the platforms at 145 St, wouldn't that have affected 135 St?

Worth wad closes since Brooklyn Bridge was extended north with an exit a mere 2 blocks south of Worth, barely a block if you walk via the (J) platform...only halfway across the plaza.

18 St was closed because 14 St was extended with an exit to 16 St, and 23 St was extended south with an exit at 22 St.

91 St was closed because 86 St was extended north with an exit at 87 St, and 96 St was extended with an exit to 94 St.

Its gonna be hard to extend 135 St with switches directly north and south of the station. Don't think there's enough room without fouling the crossover north, or the flat junction south of the station. As short as that station is, it has decent ridership and easy connection to the Bx19 to the Bronx right upstairs.

Worth wad closes since Brooklyn Bridge was extended north with an exit a mere 2 blocks south of Worth, barely a block if you walk via the (J) platform...only halfway across the plaza.

18 St was closed because 14 St was extended with an exit to 16 St, and 23 St was extended south with an exit at 22 St.

91 St was closed because 86 St was extended north with an exit at 87 St, and 96 St was extended with an exit to 94 St.

Its gonna be hard to extend 135 St with switches directly north and south of the station. Don't think there's enough room without fouling the crossover north, or the flat junction south of the station. As short as that station is, it has decent ridership and easy connection to the Bx19 to the Bronx right upstairs.

That's exactly what I said, all three of those stations closed because the stations either north or south of them got extended platforms and exits which rendered them useless.

West 4 Street–Washington Square

Simply by standing near the stairs within the middle mezzanine, I have the choice of 7 different trains 15 seconds away from where I’m standing. It’s the easy access to numerous route choices that makes me use the station so much. It takes a bit of intelligence to use effectively though. If you know an (F) left, and you want to get to Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue, you’d wait in the middle for an (E), or if a (D) / (B) shows up, take that instead to catch up with the (F) since the (E) is 3 minutes slower then the (F) from the same station.

Best stations:

Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue (A)

Jamaica 179th Street (F)

Roosevelt Island (F)

34th Street-Herald Square (N)(Q)(R)

Worst stations:

Union Turnpike Kew Gardens (E)(F)

Chambers Street (J)(Z)

42 Street Times Square (A)(C)(E)

West 4 Street–Washington Square

Simply by standing near the stairs within the middle mezzanine, I have the choice of 7 different trains 15 seconds away from where I’m standing. It’s the easy access to numerous route choices that makes me use the station so much. It takes a bit of intelligence to use effectively though. If you know an (F) left, and you want to get to Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue, you’d wait in the middle for an (E), or if a (D) / (B) shows up, take that instead to catch up with the (F) since the (E) is 3 minutes slower then the (F) from the same station.

I actually haven't mastered the art of being able to catch either train going to my destination (in my case, it's the (A) vs. (D) to Upper Manhattan). Maybe I'm standing at the wrong staircase, but I don't see a train coming into the station until I see the rush of passengers coming out and by then it's too late.

I actually haven't mastered the art of being able to catch either train going to my destination (in my case, it's the (A) vs. (D) to Upper Manhattan). Maybe I'm standing at the wrong staircase, but I don't see a train coming into the station until I see the rush of passengers coming out and by then it's too late.

Wait in the mezzanine level and listen for the rumble or a particular propulsion...

There are specific staircases where the platforms are a straight shot up or down the steps. You don't have to zig-zag vertically. For you, the best possible option is to take the (B) or the (D) preferentially since they will reach 59 Street–Colombus Circle before the (A) or (C). The dash from West 4 Street–Washington Square to 34 Street–Herald Square is much faster than the (A) skipping 23 Street and 50 Street. If you’re already on the (D), good for you. If you’re on the (B), get off at 59 Street–Colombus Circle and wait for your (A) or (D). During rush hour, you’ll probably overtake that (B) by getting off and waiting for the next express train. As for the (C), only take it if if has already arrived at the station and you see a fresh crowd of people dispersing from a (B) or (D) you just missed. There may be another train behind (and you can check the density of people on the platform to gauge that), but taking the train that is already there is always a better option than taking a train that is not—unless it’s waiting for the (A) or (D) at 59 Street–Columbus Circle.

Best:

Borough Hall- I like watching the uptown  (2)  (3)  (4)  (5) come up together then split up on their seperate paths.

South Ferry- Its whole unique set up with the  (1) making that tight turn and the moving platform gap fillers.

Coney Island Stillwell Ave- I like the view when you walk up the stairs and you can see all the trains plus the view of the  (F) and  (Q) at West 8 St NY Aquarium is great! 

191 St- I grew up in Washington Heights and this station was across the street from my house. This was my first station and the  (1) was my first train ever. So yeah, a lot of nostalgic memories from my childhood.

Worst:

Inwood 207 St- Nothing wrong with the station itself to be honest. But I used to take the  (A) here for an old job that I absolutely hated. I couldn't stand that place and everytime I'm at that station I just get worked up like jesus f**k that job.

Archived