Spring 2016 Express Bus service changes (BxM, QM, Brooklyn Routes)

For all these changes, they occur on weekdays unless otherwise stated

Bronx:

BxM1:

-They seem to have evened out the headway at night towards Manhattan

-6:15 PM bus to Midtown Manhattan added; all other service after 7:15 PM leaves 15 minutes later than before

-9:30 PM bus to Midtown Manhattan discontinued

-Adjustments to PM service towards Riverdale 

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm1cur.pdf

BxM2:

- Former 7:15 PM departure to Manhattan and on now leave 15 minutes earlier

- Added runtime on many Riverdale bound buses

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm2cur.pdf

Brooklyn:

X27:

- 7:23 AM and 7:29 AM departures from Bay Ridge combined into a 7:26 AM trip. 

- 7:35 AM departure from Bay Ridge moved up to 7:33 AM, and does not run north of Worth Street

- All other and [C] departures now operate five minutes earlier from 7:40 AM until [A] service begins

- PM service during the 6:30 PM-6:50 slot now every 10 minutes instead of 8 minutes

X37:

- Service from 5 PM to 6 PM now every 10 minutes instead of every 8 minutes

- Service from 6 PM to 6:40 PM every 15 minutes instead of every 10 minutes

X28:

- AM rush service every 6 minutes instead of every 5 minutes

- More runtime for off peak buses

- Service in the 6:30 PM slot runs every 10 minutes instead of every 10 minutes

- 6:49 PM bus from Downtown discontinued

X38:

- Service every 8-15 minutes instead of 7-10 minutes during AM rush

- Most PM buses moved up 1 minute on schedule

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x027cur.pdf

BM1:

- Added runtime on many off-peak runs

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/bm001cur.pdf

Queens:

QM1:

- 9:10 AM bus from Fresh Meadows to Midtown via 6 Avenue discontinued

QM5:

- 8:50 AM bus from Glen Oaks now operates via Fresh Meadows

- 11:00 PM bus from Glen Oaks to Midtown discontinued

QM6:

- 11:30 PM bus from North Shore Towers to Midtown discontinued

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm001cur.pdf

QM2: 

- 11:00 PM bus from Bay Terrace to Midtown discontinued

- Some adjustments to buses running towards Bay Terrace in the evening

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm002cur.pdf

QM20: 

- 10:30 PM bus from Bay Terrace to Midtown discontinued

- Adjustments to runtime in both directions

http://web.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm020cur.pdf

Jesus Christ. Why is the MTA suddenly so focused on cutting PBL EXP runs? Did they city cut off funding?

The 9:10 QM1 cut really pisses me off, since the buses between 9 and 10 am e extremely unreliable

I saw one of the passenger counter people on my (packed) QM5 today. I hope they reverse sone of these cuts

Jesus Christ. Why is the MTA suddenly so focused on cutting PBL EXP runs? Did they city cut off funding?

The 9:10 QM1 cut really pisses me off, since the buses between 9 and 10 am e extremely unreliable

I saw one of the passenger counter people on my (packed) QM5 today. I hope they reverse sone of these cuts

They have also been very cheap with putting out updated schedules in the buses after the changes. If not for this topic, I would never have known about these changes.

They have also been very cheap with putting out updated schedules in the buses after the changes. If not for this topic, I would never have known about these changes.

I believe they did this on purpose, so that there wasn't any sort of complaints from residents in those areas. Given how one trip per line was cut, the TA didn't have to announce it much, but I agree, that was not cool. I wouldn't have known either if I didn't snoop around the MTA website, and randomly checked a QM20 schedule. I don't think there was notice of it on buses either.

I believe they did this on purpose, so that there wasn't any sort of complaints from residents in those areas. Given how one trip per line was cut, the TA didn't have to announce it much, but I agree, that was not cool. I wouldn't have known either if I didn't snoop around the MTA website, and randomly checked a QM20 schedule. I don't think there was notice of it on buses either.

I hope this is not a trend towards cutting runs with every new pick. I'm writing to my elected officials again. 

AFAIK, the city's funding is still there but can be cut off at any moment.

Also, those "passenger counter people" are called traffic checkers.

I hope this is not a trend towards cutting runs with every new pick. I'm writing to my elected officials again. 

Maybe there just weren't enough bodies on those trips to warrant keeping them. 

If anything, express bus service should be increased. These areas don't have subway service and they have long commutes. Express buses provide a quicker and easier commute and encourage people to use mass transit instead of driving their cars to the CBD.

Ill agree!MTA did the exact samething to BM-1,BM-2,BM-3,BM-4,BM-5 two years ago....They cut alot of runs on

these routes.When they came into play,they adding runs and now they're taking away,it's crazy.

AFAIK, the city's funding is still there but can be cut off at any moment.

Also, those "passenger counter people" are called traffic checkers.

Maybe there just weren't enough bodies on those trips to warrant keeping them. 

Good to know. 

The 11 and 11:30 pm trips definitely did not have enough passengers to warrant them. I was surprised they existed at all. However, I wonder if one of those runs turned into the 12:30 pm run back to Queens, which is very popular and was not cut, thankfully. If that is the case, and the buses will be deadheading into the city anyway, it is silly to cut it out if they end up picking up a passenger or two. But again, I don't know if that is the case. 

My real concern was the cutting of the 9:10 QM1. I can tell you from personal experience that that bus is often very full. The QM5 that is supposed to replace it is highly unreliable and the QM1 helped alleviate some of that. If the buses on the schedule were more reliable, the cuts would be less problematic. 

Good to know.

The 11 and 11:30 pm trips definitely did not have enough passengers to warrant them. I was surprised they existed at all. However, I wonder if one of those runs turned into the 12:30 pm run back to Queens, which is very popular and was not cut, thankfully. If that is the case, and the buses will be deadheading into the city anyway, it is silly to cut it out if they end up picking up a passenger or two. But again, I don't know if that is the case.

My real concern was the cutting of the 9:10 QM1. I can tell you from personal experience that that bus is often very full. The QM5 that is supposed to replace it is highly unreliable and the QM1 helped alleviate some of that. If the buses on the schedule were more reliable, the cuts would be less problematic.

Every one of those last trips to Manhattan DH back to CP, and do not go back in revenue service, except for the QM4. The last trip goes back in revenue service, and that's why it wasn't cut.

Every one of those last trips to Manhattan DH back to CP, and do not go back in revenue service, except for the QM4. The last trip goes back in revenue service, and that's why it wasn't cut.

THAT is what should be cut and not the regular trips -- the non-revenue deadheading.  IDC if you get 2 or 3 customers on a trip that would be a deadhead, that's money into the farebox/system, versus 4mpg plus labor overhead with nothing.

And you wonder why fares need to be raised, deficits continue, and all of the associated moaning/service cut threats come from the TA brass.  (Not singling the MTA out, since this is not something they alone employ as "standard practice.")

THAT is what should be cut and not the regular trips -- the non-revenue deadheading. IDC if you get 2 or 3 customers on a trip that would be a deadhead, that's money into the farebox/system, versus 4mpg plus labor overhead with nothing.

And you wonder why fares need to be raised, deficits continue, and all of the associated moaning/service cut threats come from the TA brass. (Not singling the MTA out, since this is not something they alone employ as "standard practice.")

Well, the thing is that those buses rarely carry people at that time, and DH back to their Queens depot from Manhattan without being in revenue service. The reason being, the DH path is similar to the QM2 routing, which does have an in-service bus at those times (hence why you don't need another bus). Running those buses are extremely inefficent and is a waste of money. I'd be fine if the trip had like a full bus load or with like more than 10 riders, but they're rarely picking up people. That's almost an entire trip with nobody for the most part.

Now the 9:10 AM trip that QM1 mentioned (which did DH back to CP) is more questionable. I know that they want service to be efficient, but they're cutting rush hour runs which have more people. I mean, QM5 riders are really affected (those who take that trip) because they have to go via FM, but now that bus is handling two bus loads. I think it should have been kept, because ridership is still high (per bus) during those times, and I agree that the QM5 is rather unreliable on weekdays.

Thanks! In that case, the 11 and 11:30 cuts make sense. I've actually been wondering since January how those runs still existed while the midday QM1's, which carry some passengers, got cut. I'd like then to use those savings to restore some QM1's, but of course that won't happen

Thanks! In that case, the 11 and 11:30 cuts make sense. I've actually been wondering since January how those runs still existed while the midday QM1's, which carry some passengers, got cut. I'd like then to use those savings to restore some QM1's, but of course that won't happen

Those trips date back to the ex-PBL schedules, where that trip went back to Queens as the 12:30 AM trip. The MTA after takeover made all CP QM's go to 57 Street and then DH back to 36 Street. Those runs never got cut though. They cut those trips on Saturday, but kept the weekday ones. Another good thing is that now all evening trips go back in service. Before, alternating buses to Manhattan would DH, or go back in revenue service. Othwewise, the MTA would have gone out to cut those trips as well.

Those trips date back to the ex-PBL schedules, where that trip went back to Queens as the 12:30 AM trip. The MTA after takeover made all CP QM's go to 57 Street and then DH back to 36 Street. Those runs never got cut though. They cut those trips on Saturday, but kept the weekday ones. Another good thing is that now all evening trips go back in service. Before, alternating buses to Manhattan would DH, or go back in revenue service. Othwewise, the MTA would have gone out to cut those trips as well.

I'm glad they go back in service now. Makes no sense otherwise. 

Good to know. 

The tail 10:30-11pm trip made no sense whatsoever because how would take a bus with no way of getting back? These people don't ride the subway and nor is it easy to get a taxi at that time that would even take you back.  

The MTA need to stop cutting back on the QM1 although I rarely use Union I know these buses can get a lot of people. These cuts are getting ridiculous!

The tail 10:30-11pm trip made no sense whatsoever because how would take a bus with no way of getting back? These people don't ride the subway and nor is it easy to get a taxi at that time that would even take you back.  

The MTA need to stop cutting back on the QM1 although I rarely use Union I know these buses can get a lot of people. These cuts are getting ridiculous!

Well those late trips in general were catered towards late-night workers, but the ridership on those buses were close to nothing. 

As for that 9:10 AM QM1 cut, I believe it was solely made so that there's no overlap of both trips, since they pass at around the same times south of 73 Avenue, but by a few minutes. While QM1's claim that the 9:10 AM trip was full is probably true, the MTA believed it could've still filled up all or most of the 57 seats on that 8:50 AM QM5 from Glen Oaks, even if it's dealing with both QM1 and QM5 riders on the same bus.

If the bus is heading in that direction anyway, you might as well have it pick up passengers. And "Those people don't ride the subway" is way too general of a statement. If the express bus is more convenient than the subway and if they have a weekly pass, why would they use the subway if the pass covers the express bus? Take me for example: I sometimes get a weekly pass so I can take the express bus to Manhattan and jump on the subway there instead of dealing with the ferry. During those weeks, I'll never use the ferry because it's slower, and the marginal cost of the express bus is free. But if I had to stay late after the express bus stopped running (which thankfully for me, is that 1:15AM X10 from 57th Street), I would take the ferry.

How many is "a lot"? What is the average load per trip?

If only the MTA released those figures...my personal experience with that run (which I took regularly about a year ago) was 20 people when the QM5 ran on time, and closer to 30 when the QM5 mysteriously disappeared. I've written emails to the MTA about how unreliable service is between 9 and 10 am, and they were nice enough to cut a run instead of adding one.

If only the MTA released those figures...my personal experience with that run (which I took regularly about a year ago) was 20 people when the QM5 ran on time, and closer to 30 when the QM5 mysteriously disappeared. I've written emails to the MTA about how unreliable service is between 9 and 10 am, and they were nice enough to cut a run instead of adding one.

Even with 30 passengers, the 57-seat bus is just over half-filled.

Archived