Anybody here rode an R160 Q train yet?

JJr142

Ok,this is how it goes. I was waiting for a Q train at Dekalb avenue in Brooklyn, I was going Manhattan. When all of a sudden, i hear a rare sound. It was an R160. The lead car numbers was 87.., but i knew it had the Alstrom Propulsion. Next time, i will write down the numbers. I was litterally in excitement and was glad that there was finally an R160. I wish i had my camara to take a picture of it, but i didnt have it on me. I took it to 14 street union square for the 6 train.

So if anybody rode an R160, or saw one, comment here.

i honestly rather continue using the R68A's on the (Q). the R160s that are on the (Q) look weird. and besides, i dont like the R160's at all. the sings are always broken, some trains keep breaking down in the tunnel, and the brakes are bad. the speed is good, thats the only thing good about the R160's. i just hate seeing them on the (Q).

Sings Broken on the R160...

you can be on the (Q), and on the inside, itll say (N) or (W).

trains are no good on the Brighton Line.

i honestly rather continue using the R68A's on the (Q). the R160s that are on the (Q) look weird. and besides, i dont like the R160's at all. the sings are always broken, some trains keep breaking down in the tunnel, and the brakes are bad. the speed is good, thats the only thing good about the R160's. i just hate seeing them on the (Q).

you can be on the (Q), and on the inside, itll say (N) or (W).

trains are no good on the Brighton Line.

LOL, they don't look much different from R-160s on the (N). But I guess they look bad everywhere if you hate them. Don't believe false propaganda about them breaking down. AFAIK, they don't have a higher amount of breakdowns than other equipment. Please explain about the breaks. The interior displays (called FIND) are definitely a problem with R-160Bs. I've even seen one signed as a (B) when it was an (N). B)

Amen, i agree 100% with this post.

Yep, i rode on an R160 Q. It was siemens and yea, those FINDS are messed up to the bone. When i rode it yesterday, the FIND was displaying that the current stop is Kings highway, and the last stop is Atlantic avenue. I was at 57st in manhattan, going to take it to brooklyn. Almost everytime i ride the R160 in the (N), the FINDS are frozen or now working at all. Well, it happened in the (N), now its happening on the (Q).

why people here care so much about the find system rather works or not....as long the train works yall should be happy.that ''find'' not the important thing on the train and half of the people on the train don't even pay attention to it anyway. Half of the time I don't even look at it.

why people here care so much about the find system rather works or not....as long the train works yall should be happy.that ''find'' not the important thing on the train and half of the people on the train don't even pay attention to it anyway. Half of the time I don't even look at it.

Thank you very much.....I'm so glad you said it, I was just talking about this with my friend on the phone not to long ago!

Im going to have to agree with that. As long the train gets you to point A to B. But remember, what about if a tourist or an elderly person rides an R160, and doesnt remember all of the stations, they are gonna to turn to the FIND, and what happens if it displays the wrong stations, thay gonna think they're in the wrong train, and their ride will be like hell. Even if the annoucements are messed up, or the C/R speaks too low and they cant hear the next stop. So it kind of important that the FINDS are working, especially for a tourist, an elderly person, and for people who dont remember the all the stations well.

Im going to have to agree with that. As long the train gets you to point A to B. But remember, what about if a tourist or an elderly person rides an R160, and doesnt remember all of the stations, they are gonna to turn to the FIND, and what happens if it displays the wrong stations, thay gonna think they're in the wrong train, and their ride will be like hell. Even if the annoucements are messed up, or the C/R speaks too low and they cant hear the next stop. So it kind of important that the FINDS are working, especially for a tourist, an elderly person, and for people who dont remember the all the stations well.

Well, in that case it's an awfully good thing that people have eyes they can use to read station signage as the train is pulling into any station in the system :D

...unless this elderly, blind tourist who doesn't remember stations is also illiterate, blind in one eye, and doesn't speak english... B)

The FINDs are well and good but they should never replace common sense. Technology is a tool but never RELY on it, just ask the guy who followed his GPS onto MNCR trackage. whoops.

Thank you very much.....I'm so glad you said it, I was just talking about this with my friend on the phone not to long ago!

Im going to have to agree with that. As long the train gets you to point A to B.

LOL!!! Here we go again with the "as long as it gets me from point A to point B I don't give a shit speeches". Okay, that's true to an extent, but on THIS board you have to look beyond that. People DO look at the FIND and people get confused and turn to others to verify where the train is going when its frozen, from what I've seen on some occasions. Even if people learn to ignore them as they did with the rollsigns in the days when they were frequently messed with, how much $$$ has been spent on the FIND??? Is it reasonable to have orderd all these FINDs and then let them display incorrect information? This is a problem which should have been resolved during the testing period on the (N) and who knows how it will go at this point, they may never be fixed. Either way it should work right or it should be abandoned.

I don't think the world will implode if the FIND doesn't work, but I also think that people will get epically confused if it isn't working properly. Say you just woke up, you're really tired, and you get on the first R160 Q that you see...

The FIND tells you you're going, say, toward Coney Island, when you really needed to go to 57th Street.

Of course it's not so bad, you'll realize the mistake eventually, but that's just an epic waste of time.

Archived