Hasidic Jews moving from Brooklyn to Toms River/Lakewood, NJ

mfs NJT459

LAKEWOOD, N.J. - A crowded city like nothing New Jersey has ever seen is rising over this once sleepy Ocean County township, and its neighbors are on edge.

In adjacent Toms River, those tensions started in late 2014 when bearded men in wide hats began knocking on doors. They had friends in Brooklyn, they said, who would pay top dollar for the houses.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/20160501_Doorbells_ring__charges_fly_at_Shore_towns.html

Midwood is slowly getting more expensive to reside in & [Crown Heights & Williamsburg] is undergoing gentrification... That said, I don't believe it's a cost of living issue as to why they're running out to NJ.... I believe it's happening for no other reason than fear - fear that the same hipster whites (and new blacks/negropeans, as they're dubbed) will infiltrate the sections of the aforementioned neighborhoods that hasidics dominate in..... The odd thing is, I don't see that happening - especially in Wililamsburg.... I will say that their numbers have waned in the past decade or so in Crown Heights..... Don't know about Borough Park & Midwood though.....

Have an influx of hasidic jews infiltrate Lakewood & those mexicans that currently call it home will be driven the f**k out !

Not to be off topic, but it was pretty crazy riding the 137 and everyone that rode the express variant I was on was a hasidic jew....made me feel so awkward to be the only non-jew on the bus lol.

Not to be off topic, but it was pretty crazy riding the 137 and everyone that rode the express variant I was on was a hasidic jew....made me feel so awkward to be the only non-jew on the bus lol.

I haven't seen one yet on the #559..... Maybe they take it during the weekday, IDK....

The move has been going on for years and now one of their free weeklies has a big listing of homes in the area. They go where their rabbis hold court and many of them have moved to the Lakewood area. It is not only there but upstate New York as well that is attracting many of them.In terms of Borough Park, it used to be that 60th Street was the border but now many are moving further down closer to the N train. 

The rabbi of the temple where I attend has been hoping that they would buy homes and coops in my area like they did in Marine Park but many in the congregation feel like he is living in dreamland.

When I rode the 139 to Lakewood to see the old NJ buses stored at the terminal, it was like the second you saw a Hasidic walking the street, that was the first sign you knew you were in Lakewood

When I rode the 139 to Lakewood to see the old NJ buses stored at the terminal, it was like the second you saw a Hasidic walking the street, that was the first sign you knew you were in Lakewood

I have ridden the 2nd saturday trip of the #139  (the 5am out of PABT) more times I can count..... I'm not bullshitting, when I doze off & wake up somewhere in-between Freehold Ctr. & (I guess what you can call) Downtown Lakewood (not inclusive), IDK where the hell I be at.... However, the times where I wake up & start seeing Jews a little after 6am walking around & about....

...I lose the grogginess feeling immediately, start to gather up my things, and prepare for the 15-20 wait or so I know I'ma have for the #559 afterwards - Because I know I'm about to disembark that #139 in about 5 mins....

In other words, yep, we're in Lakewood!

Archived