Ivy League Economist Interrogated for Doing Math on AA Flight

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rampage/wp/2016/05/07/ivy-league-economist-interrogated-for-doing-math-on-american-airlines-flight/?tid=sm_fb

I know there's lots of Greek symbols used in higher math, but how do you mistake it for Arabic? And even if he was writing in Arabic, how does "Mediterranean-looking guy writing on a piece of paper" equal "terrorist plotting to blow up the plane"? The racism and ignorance is outstanding.

Now excuse me while I go back to scribbling some differential equations on a piece of paper (My class project actually involves designing a substation building for NJ Transit B-) ).

I guess by that logic, when the guys at the halal carts talk to each other in Arabic, I should be afraid because it's a foreign language and they could be planning a terror attack? 

On the math note, it's a shame that Americans write off math as just being a hard subject that nobody gets. I mean, the notations they use for differential equations are stuff like y', x, dy/dx, integral signs, and maybe rho or omega or a few other Greek letters. Even as a middle or high school kid, I would've probably be able to figure out that he's doing some type of math. There's so many scams out there that are based off people's lack of basic math skills that it's not even funny. 

Archived