Orion Buses

CNYBusBuilder

Hello everyone, I found this site last evening and decided to join in and see what you all thought of Orion Buses. I work at Orion Bus in Oriskany, New York, where we currently have 2 MTA orders currently on the production line. One for NYC, the Orion NG, and one for Long Island. Just wondering what you all thought of our buses.

Brett

Well actualy Orion buses are one of my favorite buses! They run smoothly, smell great when they are fresh outta the plant, and sound great as well! Question for you... Do you know anything about The Bee-Line System getting some more low floor buses from you guys? I'd LOVE to see an Orion VII-NG in Bee-Line livery!:) Thanx for your time.

The Don of All Buses:cool:

Hello everyone, I found this site last evening and decided to join in and see what you all thought of Orion Buses. I work at Orion Bus in Oriskany, New York, where we currently have 2 MTA orders currently on the production line. One for NYC, the Orion NG, and one for Long Island. Just wondering what you all thought of our buses.

Brett

Hey man welcome to NYCTF! How exciting working at Orion!

Brett

As an ex-operator of those buses, I loved the Orion V. I also drove the Orion VII CNG (West Farms Depot), and they were O.K., but nothing compared to the Hybrids. My favorites were the 1999 Orions of NYCTA. Orion V's are great in the snow, as those front wheels still grip the ground in the snow......

As an ex-operator of those buses, I loved the Orion V. I also drove the Orion VII CNG (West Farms Depot), and they were O.K., but nothing compared to the Hybrids. My favorites were the 1999 Orions of NYCTA. Orion V's are great in the snow, as those front wheels still grip the ground in the snow......
The VII CNG is nice in snow, maybe not as good because of the smaller tires, but they still had good grip in snow, I don't know about Hybrids in wintry conditions yet though. All the VII CNG needs is a good transmission. :cool:

The VII CNG is nice in snow, maybe not as good because of the smaller tires, but they still had good grip in snow, I don't know about Hybrids in wintry conditions yet though. All the VII CNG needs is a good transmission. :cool:

No offense, but how do you know?????? My friend do not forget I drove them, and no matter how biased I am against a bus model, I will always state the good and bad about all. The Hybrids will react the same way as the CNG. Same exact bus, just different propulsion.........

No offense, but how do you know?????? My friend do not forget I drove them, and no matter how biased I am against a bus model, I will always state the good and bad about all. The Hybrids will react the same way as the CNG. Same exact bus, just different propulsion.........
I rode them everyday with my friends Uncle who used to drive for West Farms. Hybrids may have less grip in snow due to such instant power (now that parts a theory), but CNGs you have to sometimes wait for the power to kick in. He told me all about how the VII CNGs compare to the Vs, he says the Vs are better, but not all that much better when it comes to snow. He ran the Bx11 which does have alot of hills! :eek:

I think these buses are junk.....we have CNG 99's in College Point and I got to tell you these buses are falling apart!! I don't think they are built for NYC streets, and the drivers chair is the worst.....these chairs are good for about 20 minutes.....after that your back will kill you!!! How about some captain chairs?? without arm rests!!

Bus Opeartors............give em a brake!!

The people that say they are my favorite bus.....clearly just passengers.......nobody that had to drive one for 10 plus hours!!

:eek: :P

The people that say they are my favorite bus.....clearly just passengers.......nobody that had to drive one for 10 plus hours!!

:eek: :P

Thank you, and that is what I was trying to explain to my buddy earlier. No matter how many years you ride a bus, you know nothing about them until you drive them and get a feel for them. That is why I know how well some drive in snow, cause I can feel what is going on under the wheels of the bus, since I am the one steering it. But then I am not in the arguing, or the I did this and that mood anymore. If someone feels they know a bus or train better than those who drive/operate them daily, then so be it as far as I am concerned.......

As for the seats, well NYCTA and what you all drive have different specs, since yours were bought by NYCDOT, not MTA. The 6000 series 1999 buses at MTA with the articulated type driver seats in them are great........ All the Orion VII CNGs do have the same seats like the artics, and they do move far back for the tallest of drivers........

Thank you, and that is what I was trying to explain to my buddy earlier. No matter how many years you ride a bus, you know nothing about them until you drive them and get a feel for them. That is why I know how well some drive in snow, cause I can feel what is going on under the wheels of the bus, since I am the one steering it. But then I am not in the arguing, or the I did this and that mood anymore. If someone feels they know a bus or train better than those who drive/operate them daily, then so be it as far as I am concerned.......

As for the seats, well NYCTA and what you all drive have different specs, since yours were bought by NYCDOT, not MTA. The 6000 series 1999 buses at MTA with the articulated type driver seats in them are great........ All the Orion VII CNGs do have the same seats like the artics, and they do move far back for the tallest of drivers........

It's all good, wasn't arguing, just letting you know what info I got from the other drivers. :cool:

The Orion's have smooth steering, alot of room in the operator's area, the right side mirror is good, the destination sign is large and bright & the operator's window is large.

The only gripe i have about the Orion V is some ride very harsh and are excessively loud inside, but i blame that on the great roads the buses have to travel on here in staten island.

If Yukon ever gets any NG's, and they drive just like the V's or better i won't mind driving them. Even though i don't mind driving the RTS, i always ask to pullout an Orion.

• 2 weeks later...
I think these buses are junk.....we have CNG 99's in College Point and I got to tell you these buses are falling apart!! I don't think they are built for NYC streets, and the drivers chair is the worst.....these chairs are good for about 20 minutes.....after that your back will kill you!!! How about some captain chairs?? without arm rests!!

Bus Opeartors............give em a brake!!

:eek: :)

Ah, so thats why express bus SC drivers be whining when they are assigned to runs that doesn't require MCI D4500's to be used on them.

Ah, so thats why express bus SC drivers be whining when they are assigned to runs that doesn't require MCI D4500's to be used on them.
Sure about that? I met 10 SC drivers and they said they love driving the CNG over the MCI, and also they're not governed at 60MPH.

Sure about that? I met 10 SC drivers and they said they love driving the CNG over the MCI, and also they're not governed at 60MPH.

This driver i had on the B103 one time he was in a bad mode becuase someone took his Orion VII and he had to take an TMC RTS. Long story short in the middle of his mild rant, he said that he picked the BM3 for next pic and then he said quote on quote "Watch them put me on a run that doesn't require cruisers" The way he said it, you could tell that he rather have the cruiser than a CNG.

EDIT btw when was this?

Archived