Conductors Orientation/Schoolcar

PrissyMTACR

Hello everyone,

So I see a few new hires including myself, would like to know more about what to expect from the start date. And more about school car because the other threads seem to be for the T/Os more than us.

If anyone here can enlighten us, that would be awesome! Here are a few questions I have myself.

How long are the 1st three days of orientation? (4,6,8hrs?)

Is School car always mornings or do they switch it up ?

How long does it take to receive your uniform & boots, and how many are you allowed to order?

What exactly do you learn in school car? any heads up you can give us. What are the tests like? Etc

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yea we read that one but recently I've heard C/Rs have been able to choose a division that's why I was hoping that someone more recent would reply. That post is from almost 4 years ago. And someone who went all the way through about C/R school car ... The problem for me and others is that they seem to talk more about T/O school car ... Orientation is together, we got that part

• 3 months later...

Answers in red.

She's new, some of the threads are rather long.

I should probably put together an FAQ, ask a moderator to sticky it and close the thread to avoid frivolous commenting, and stick it up at the top of this forum.

Hello everyone,

So I see a few new hires including myself, would like to know more about what to expect from the start date. And more about school car because the other threads seem to be for the T/Os more than us.
If anyone here can enlighten us, that would be awesome! Here are a few questions I have myself.

How long are the 1st three days of orientation? (4,6,8hrs?)

Once you begin training, all days are 8 hours.

Is School car always mornings or do they switch it up ?

Orientiation will be mornings. Schoolcar hours can vary. For conductors, you will either be 0700-1500 or 1500-2300 for class. For train operators, you will either be 0700-1500 or 1500-2300 for class, but there are operations practice days ("road ops") with your instructors where you will be working 1900-0300. For both titles, once you begin "road posting" (actually honing your skills by operating trains in passenger service under the tutelage of an experienced co-worker in your title), hours will vary.

How long does it take to receive your uniform & boots, and how many are you allowed to order?

This varies, depending on how much stock the uniform company has in your sizes. Generally it should take a couple weeks to get your initial supply, but it can take longer at times.

You will order the maximum allotment at orientation. It varies depending on title what you're allowed to get. I honestly can't remember what conductors get in full, but it's 6 long sleeve shirts, 6 short sleeve shirts, turtleneck, mock turtleneck, and some combination of pants that includes 1 pair of winter pants. You'll also get sweaters, ties (or ascots for women), conductor's hat, and the 3-in-1 jacket. Each of those items you will be able to reorder after 2 years, with the exception of the jacket, which can be reordered after 5.

What exactly do you learn in school car? any heads up you can give us. What are the tests like? Etc

Transit terminology, door operations, the layout of the train, different types of equipment in your subdivision ("A"-number trains, "B"-letter trains), standard procedures and rules, troubleshooting, announcement cycle, and where the lines go. You'll also learn how to handle different situations that can come up.

Tests are fair. There are quizzes throughout, and you should get 80 or better on all of them. If you don't, you will be tutored, and while the goal is to help you, this is noted and it's considered a sign that you are struggling, so you should avoid it. There will also be a midterm and a final, both of which you must get 80 or better to pass. In addition, there will be two practicals - a yard, and a road practical. The yard practical will, obviously, take place in the yard. You will simulate door operations and you will have to troubleshoot different kinds of problems. The road practical will simulate the train making station stops and you have to respond correctly. All practicals are pass/fail.

Thanks in advance

Archived