Interest in NJ Transit Bus Operator

The Saniter

Hello. I've been seeing conflicting information from different (old) threads regarding joining NJ Transit as a B/O. I have an upcoming interview and I'm wondering if anyone can give any current advice regarding jumping aboard. I'd love to start a career in transportation and I'm looking for the right avenue to do so. Thanks in advance!!

Hey, Saniter...did you try to message one of the senior/veteran members? "553 Bridgeton" is a NJT vet that helped me with a lot of my employment questions. Good luck on your interview!

Thanks msmcmillan for that info. Unfortunately I don't believe I have messaging privileges yet because I did try to look on 553 Bridgeton page but I didn't find anything that would allow me to message him. Also thanks for the encouragement regarding the interview. If you're already on the job, is there any info you could possibly provide regarding how the job is? Thanks!!

The interview is easy, they ask simple questions and you answer honestly. After that you are given a medical date, once yoj pass medical you are given a start date for training. If you come in with a cdl permit you are given one chance to pass the dmv road test. If you come in with the cdl-b or a then you move right to learning a couple lines and out joy riding and learning every bus the garage youll be going to. You will be taught the fare register and other various things in class. Some days youll be in a class room and some youll be out on the road. The last week or training will be spent running in service to get a feel for it, this is where some crack and realize this is not the career they want anymore.

The interview is easy, they ask simple questions and you answer honestly. After that you are given a medical date, once yoj pass medical you are given a start date for training. If you come in with a cdl permit you are given one chance to pass the dmv road test. If you come in with the cdl-b or a then you move right to learning a couple lines and out joy riding and learning every bus the garage youll be going to. You will be taught the fare register and other various things in class. Some days youll be in a class room and some youll be out on the road. The last week or training will be spent running in service to get a feel for it, this is where some crack and realize this is not the career they want anymore.

1st off thank you very much 553 Bridgeton for taking the time to respond back. Do you get an opportunity to choose the garage you'd like to go to or a garage that would be closet to you or do they just send you anywhere? Also do they have promotional opportunities like MTA to transfer or promote to other crafts? As a newbie, If you had the opportunity to go over to MTA in any capacity (ex, station agent, conductor, bus operator)  after being hired by NJT, would you accept it? My apologies I know I have alot of questions lol!! Thanks again in advance!!

They give you an option or place you based on needs but most of the time they place you close to where you live. They do have promotions to other things.

Moving to another job/company depends on how much senority or time you have with the company. At this point i have time in so moving to another company would be pointless, if you have less then 2yrs by all means accept something else.

Any job can be a bad place to work at. Its what you make of it. You come to work do your job and leave. Its fine to me, as with any job they all have issues. MTA as well. Its very easy to get fired at both.

It sucks when your at the bottom but when you move up and gain senority you get good runs.

Me personally i wanted to move over to the mta as a train operator but the environment and working the xtra xtra list for longer then a year is too much. I make 70-90k year here with overtime. Im content.

Any job can be a bad place to work at. Its what you make of it. You come to work do your job and leave. Its fine to me, as with any job they all have issues. MTA as well. Its very easy to get fired at both.

It sucks when your at the bottom but when you move up and gain senority you get good runs.

Me personally i wanted to move over to the mta as a train operator but the environment and working the xtra xtra list for longer then a year is too much. I make 70-90k year here with overtime. Im content.

I understand what you're saying. Well like I said earlier thanks for taking out the time answering some of my questions. They've been real insightful and who knows, if I get hired with NJT, it'd be nice running into you someday!! Have a good one!!

Archived