10th Avenue Station may come back to life afterall.

Javier

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if any of you actually read the article...

Doubt it.

Even so, if they do go with this plan, it's stupid. The location of said station is just TWO BLOCKS AWAY from The Port Authority Bus Terminal, in which you can access all the subway lines from there.

All of the people who are pushing for this idea are just lazy.

Well, they'll have to build it if the Port Authority builds the new bus terminal out there. In fact the MTA should make the Port Authority pay for the station.

Doubt it.

Even so, if they do go with this plan, it's stupid. The location of said station is just TWO BLOCKS AWAY from The Port Authority Bus Terminal, in which you can access all the subway lines from there.

All of the people who are pushing for this idea are just lazy.

The new PABT (as proposed today) would be one block from the (7) and three crosstown blocks (almost a half mile) from Times Square.

If the current PABT stays put, of course a 10th Avenue (7) station would be a waste of money right now. But if it moves further west, I'd say the 10th Avenue stop would be warranted.

Some of you people crack me up with these crazy "extensions". 10th Avenue and 72nd street huh...  <_<

Ignoring the funding problem, what's wrong with such an extension?

The West Side is growing, a second subway line to support 8th Avenue and the (7) line extension could become necessary in the future. There's nothing crazy about the idea at all. The only problem is funding for the project, and you have that problem with most any subway improvement plan you could come up with.

Well, they'll have to build it if the Port Authority builds the new bus terminal out there. In fact the MTA should make the Port Authority pay for the station.

The new PABT (as proposed today) would be one block from the (7) and three crosstown blocks (almost a half mile) from Times Square.

If the current PABT stays put, of course a 10th Avenue (7) station would be a waste of money right now. But if it moves further west, I'd say the 10th Avenue stop would be warranted.

That's why we have underpasses to supplement! If we didn't, the 8th Avenue to Broadway/7th Avenue line connection would be much....much more annoying than it is now.

The West Side is growing, a second subway line to support 8th Avenue and the (7) line extension could become necessary in the future. There's nothing crazy about the idea at all. The only problem is funding for the project, and you have that problem with most any subway improvement plan you could come up with.

I'll tell you what's wrong with it.  I've been using the subway extensively of late, and the conditions of just about all of the stations are deplorable (not that I'm shocked by any means), not to mention the endless delays.  I'm all for expanding, but how about dealing with the current problems that are plaguing the system first?  For example, it takes 10 minutes to get from Grand Central to 125th using Metro-North, but 30 minutes using the (4) or (5) trains due to "train traffic", as the trains crawl from 86th to 125th.  Don't you see the irony with the idea of expanding upon a system that can barely function as it is?  It's laughable quite frankly in comparison to systems I've used elsewhere.  If expansion consists of anything like the Hudson Yards debacle, we're in for a real show.  Quite frankly, I would prefer crosstown expansion first.  I see so many people (myself included) that decide to back track on the subway (using North-South routes to do so) to avoid the buses that it's incredible.  That right there tells you something.  I doubt the (MTA) even realizes it.  

I'll tell you what's wrong with it.  I've been using the subway extensively of late, and the conditions of just about all of the stations are deplorable (not that I'm shocked by any means), not to mention the endless delays.  I'm all for expanding, but how about dealing with the current problems that are plaguing the system first?  For example, it takes 10 minutes to get from Grand Central to 125th using Metro-North, but 30 minutes using the (4) or (5) trains due to "train traffic", as the trains crawl from 86th to 125th.

Lower the price of intracity travel on the MetroNorth. :rolleyes: Let 2 Avenue do its thing. ^_^ Build more lines to take congestion off adjacent lines. :D

Lower the price of intracity travel on the MetroNorth. :rolleyes: Let 2 Avenue do its thing. ^_^ Build more lines to take congestion off adjacent lines. :D

lol to proposal #1... I'd support that so long as reliability doesn't go down the tubes.  As for SAS, as much as I want it to succeed, I think it was poorly thought out and won't relieve the Lex line much.  Even though people complain about the walk from areas like York Avenue, ultimately, more people need the Lex line.  Just goes to more central areas on the East Side.  Yes, the West Side is growing no question about it, but the West Side still has far more options and the (1) train is one of the best lines in the system, even with its crowding and delays here and there.  There is still some capacity to run trains.  What they really need to look at first is the Central Park West line.  Improve the (A)(B)(C) and (D) and then come back to me about a 10th Avenue and 72nd street station.  They could also run Metro-North down the West Side and put in stops there.  It's been a topic now for a while.  

1.  Improve the (A)(B)(C) and (D) and then come back to me about a 10th Avenue and 72nd street station. 2. They could also run Metro-North down the West Side and put in stops there.  It's been a topic now for a while.  

I agree with the first part. At the very least, make 81 Street wheelchair accessible and give all 7 local stations the "Component Repairs" other stations have been receiving (ADA compliant platform edge strips,glow in the dark emergency exit strips, Help Points and On the Go kiosks-which are a godsend by themselves), if not accessibility improvements for other stations and even an infill 66 Street (B)(C) station (if possible).

The second part not so much. A West Side Metro North line would not pull in high ridership purely as a function of its location. The MTA did a study of potential ridership and rejected every station proposed except 59 Street and 125 Street because they did not meet the ridership guidelines for current MNR stations. An (L) extension to the UWS is preferable to this option(particularly if it has a direct connection to the (1)(2)(3) ) purely because of its current frequency and accessibility (direct transfers to A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, F, M, N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6, G, J and Z)

I agree with the first part. At the very least, make 81 Street wheelchair accessible and give all 7 local stations the "Component Repairs" other stations have been receiving (ADA compliant platform edge strips,glow in the dark emergency exit strips, Help Points and On the Go kiosks-which are a godsend by themselves), if not accessibility improvements for other stations and even an infill 66 Street (B)(C) station (if possible).

The second part not so much. A West Side Metro North line would not pull in high ridership purely as a function of its location. The MTA did a study of potential ridership and rejected every station proposed except 59 Street and 125 Street because they did not meet the ridership guidelines for current MNR stations. An (L) extension to the UWS is preferable to this option(particularly if it has a direct connection to the (1)(2)(3) ) purely because of its current frequency and accessibility (direct transfers to A, C, E, 1, 2, 3, F, M, N, Q, R, 4, 5, 6, G, J and Z)

Metro-North stations would be MUCH cheaper to build as a short term solution for the West Side, not to mention fast.  Even with 59th and 125th being stops, that would be a huge plus.

why is a 66th Street station necessary? If anything, stations on the West Side should be rebuilt.

The following should be done:

The Columbus Circle station should be rebuilt as an express station.

The 72nd Street station turned into a local station by walling off the express tracks with an additional exit at 73rd Street,

The 86th Street station station should have an 84th Street entrance and therefore 79th Street would be closed. This would speed up service on the Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line.

why is a 66th Street station necessary? If anything, stations on the West Side should be rebuilt.

The 72nd Street station turned into a local station by walling off the express tracks with an additional exit at 73rd Street,

The 86th Street station station should have an 84th Street entrance and therefore 79th Street would be closed. This would speed up service on the Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line.

I agree 8th Ave doesn't need a 66th St station, since it's close enough to major stops at 59th and 72nd St. On the other hand, there is no need to rebuild or close any of the IRT stations, as the line is fine as is and the disruption isn't worth it.

On the topic of the 10th Ave (L) extension, such a line would only be built if the area is to be redeveloped into another commercial center, hence I said long-term. The (L) would presumably be stops at 23rd St, 34th St, 41st St, 57th St, and 72nd St. Stations have exits at both ends to reduce the distance between stops. I brought up the (L) since we were talking about a potential (7) station at 10th Ave, which I think can't happen without the (L).

Lastly, the MNR line down the West Side is a pretty good idea, even with two stops, but it requires capacity at Penn Station. The easiest way is to stop the current inefficient terminal practice and have trains run through, e.g. trains would run between Croton-Harmon and Babylon. The MNR line would be a part of a larger plan to create a more efficient regional rail system.

The crux of the matter is this; why is Manhattan getting every single dollar of expansion money? Basically every project started since 1990 has been Manhattan-focused (SAS, East Side Access, Fulton St, South Ferry, 7 Line Extension, WTC Hub), and the other boroughs have seen jack s***. Screw "growing", the Queens Blvd Line is the second busiest trunk in the system and is at track capacity.

Closing one local stop is not going to do very much.

Columbus Circle was kept as a local station to keep passenger loading even on the local and the express.

The 7th Avenue Line is fine the way it is physically set up.

It already might probably happen. ;).

<image that is way too large>

It's been quietly dropped from the most recent documents.

Closing one local stop is not going to do very much.

Columbus Circle was kept as a local station to keep passenger loading even on the local and the express.

The 7th Avenue Line is fine the way it is physically set up.

Is it?

1. There is no transfer between the (2)(3) and (B)(D) in Manhattan at all. All access is indirect, necessitating two transfers.
  2. The (A)(C) has a transfer to the (2)(3) at 42 Street and Chambers Street only. I’ve used the former, and it’s not pleasant; it’s the same as walking an avenue over above ground, which could be done at any other point along the lines anyway.

There is a choice deficiency here.

Is it?

• There is no transfer between the (2)(3) and (B)(D) in Manhattan at all. All access is indirect, necessitating two transfers.
  • The (A)(C) has a transfer to the (2)(3) at 42 Street and Chambers Street only. I’ve used the former, and it’s not pleasant; it’s the same as walking an avenue over above ground, which could be done at any other point along the lines anyway.
There is a choice deficiency here.

3 transfers if you count Fulton St.

Actually no IF it has a 9th Avenue exit with direct access to the PABT.

I see a 10th Ave stop being built as a transfer for a long-term (L) extension 10 Ave to 72nd St, but SAS will be built before that happens.

That would be a provision I would throw into a 10th Avenue/41st Street (7) station.

Archived