Do B/O's really care if I use a Student Metrocard to go to Long Island?

IAlam

I can only imagine what a B/O would think if they saw someone getting on the S89 in Jersey, it just depends whether or not they say something.  

Aside from the fact that I know a few old classmates who fell asleep on the bus and ended up in NJ, a student could very well be using the S89-HBLR-PATH to reach Manhattan (or do the reverse). The B/O's job is to operate the bus, not sit there and hold up the bus questioning a kid about where exactly he's going. More stress for all parties involved, over something that is 95% likely to be legitimate.

If you're in green acers those b/o's will give you an issue if you use a student metro. I don't know about now but a few years ago they used to kick people off or make em pay if they used the student metro after school hours.

If you're in green acers those b/o's will give you an issue if you use a student metro. I don't know about now but a few years ago they used to kick people off or make em pay if they used the student metro after school hours.

I made the trip and had no issues btw 

but that a different story, if you're using your card after 8:30 pm it makes sense

i find this under the Issue of are you abusing your card or not. What's considered abuse?

-Taking a longer way home

-Stopping at a store on your way home and getting back on

-Taking a detour to buy something then go home

-Going out to eat before going home 

-Going to a Club meeting/event/library when school's not in session

-Going to a job/volunteering when school's not in session

-Bus/Train fanning after school (but still going home)

-Mixing and matching metrocards (ie. using student card to get on a bus, using a pay per ride for an express bus, and then using your student card to get back on the train)

I made the trip and had no issues btw

but that a different story, if you're using your card after 8:30 pm it makes sense

i find this under the Issue of are you abusing your card or not. What's considered abuse?

-Taking a longer way home

-Stopping at a store on your way home and getting back on

-Taking a detour to buy something then go home

-Going out to eat before going home

-Going to a Club meeting/event/library when school's not in session

-Going to a job/volunteering when school's not in session

-Bus/Train fanning after school (but still going home)

-Mixing and matching metrocards (ie. using student card to get on a bus, using a pay per ride for an express bus, and then using your student card to get back on the train)

The rule of thumb we were taught in HS years ago was as follows: if a cop stops you,and calls your school office, can they vouch for what you are doing? If yes, use the card. If no, pay your own way.

Not an official rule, but useful

The rule of thumb we were taught in HS years ago was as follows: if a cop stops you,and calls your school office, can they vouch for what you are doing? If yes, use the card. If no, pay your own way.

I could be using it to rob a bank and my school would probably vouch for me 

That's interesting. And I was told that I was making a much to do out of nothing, but what do I know?

I just think it's comical that this thread has gone several pages about what ifs. I paid when doing anything that wasn't school related. Now I worked with kids volunteering at an afterschool program in Midwood, and yes I used my Student Metrocard to get there and go home. All other "adventures" I paid for. Just seems dumb to be so cheap to not just pay $2.75...

I just think it's comical that this thread has gone several pages about what ifs. I paid when doing anything that wasn't school related. Now I worked with kids volunteering at an afterschool program in Midwood, and yes I used my Student Metrocard to get there and go home. All other "adventures" I paid for. Just seems dumb to be so cheap to not just pay $2.75...

Hahaha!

I could be using it to rob a bank and my school would probably vouch for me

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of your school lol

How big of a issue is this really? I mean these are kids most of them are still learning cause and effect. True they need to learn accountability but can you full hold them to it? Im more concerned with my tax money be involved in fraud remember our friends with the FDNY and NYPD on medical leave for years top dollar vacations on my dime. Them I can hold accountable.  Am I wrong?  This seems minor in the grand scheme.

How big of a issue is this really? I mean these are kids most of them are still learning cause and effect. True they need to learn accountability but can you full hold them to it? Im more concerned with my tax money be involved in fraud remember our friends with the FDNY and NYPD on medical leave for years top dollar vacations on my dime. Them I can hold accountable.  Am I wrong?  This seems minor in the grand scheme.

You mean taking occasional trips not related to school, or abuse of student Metrocards? The later is a BIG problem, and was the reason that the (MTA) implemented Student Metrocards years ago.  I mentioned earlier that there needs to be more restrictions put on them and why.  I can live with the occasional trip, but what irks me is seeing Student Metrocards being passed around among friends, some of whom may not actually be students.

You mean taking occasional trips not related to school, or abuse of student Metrocards? The later is a BIG problem, and was the reason that the (MTA) implemented Student Metrocards years ago.  I mentioned earlier that there needs to be more restrictions put on them and why.  I can live with the occasional trip, but what irks me is seeing Student Metrocards being passed around among friends, some of whom may not actually be students.

I get it.. but there's kinda level's my point there's twenty things I place above this issue.. Kids sneaking ride's on a 3 ride a day metrocard? Or Cops and Firefighters stealing millions of tax's payers money?  Im sure the MTA can put a lid on this issue with the new fare system roll out. No?

I get it.. but there's kinda level's my point there's twenty things I place above this issue.. Kids sneaking ride's on a 3 ride a day metrocard? Or Cops and Firefighters stealing millions of tax's payers money?  Im sure the MTA can put a lid on this issue with the new fare system roll out. No?

In other words, you're prioritizing based on how much corruption exists from a cost perspective? Student Metrocards is a multi-million dollar expense for the  (MTA) annually... Not exactly peanuts... The abuse of them further inflates those costs.  We the taxpayers pay for them one way or another, even though the (MTA) doesn't have an official funding source for the program.

In other words, you're prioritizing based on how much corruption exists from a cost perspective? Student Metrocards is a multi-million dollar expense for the  (MTA) annually... Not exactly peanuts... The abuse of them further inflates those costs.  We the taxpayers pay for them one way or another, even though the (MTA) doesn't have an official funding source for the program.

No not at all that would be silly.. There's afew factors at play here.  Anything here in New York is a multi-million dollar expense there are so many verticals that could be applied to fit. Where not talking about a Detroit here a month of extra parking tickets can off set metrocard's easily not saying that money can't be placed somewhere else.  

Student Card factors

(Time) 6:30-8:30 (+) M-F (x) 10 months

another check is even with this you still have to fit within 3 rides per day. 

Personal factors

Standard American culture pride's itself on morals,principles, hard work and ethics the basic I earned it. We hold the population at large to it. Factor that in with adulthood. The point that we might feel a person can be held accountable  18 years of age but widely regarded as 21 but okay we can add them both into the equation.

So let's use the PUA method to walk thru.

(P) Principles: With the Metrocard corruption we have High School age children notice I used the word children because there for the most part between the ages of 14-18.. Can they be held to our principle standard? Well... you should know the basis between right and wrong but when you've been for just 15 years still quite abit more to learn so sneaking off to the beach ahh no Playstation for you!  But a 42 year old Firefighter that claimed disability and is banking and get's caught on a beach in the Islands parasailing! Yeah that sounds more like corruption to me.

(U) Understanding

14-18 age old child. Does he/she understand the ramifications of his $2.75-$8.75 heist? Maybe did I at 15?

42 year Cop getting $5500 at month from disability? Ohhh you betcha..

(A) Accountability

14-18 year old.. Lesson to be learnt but there kids.

42 Year old's that claim to live by morals and principles!  Jail ?! Yes.. Please!

So you wouldn't put something like a disability scam or reality rackets over a kid using his/her school metrocard off the books?

Yes we should get it under control and im sure they will with withever replaces the Metrocard.. I went to Highschool in Manhattan before metrocards.. I remember R/S passes paper passes unlimited rides on all buses and trains until 8:30 sometimes 9 if there where in a good mood.. 3 rides a day nothing to what it was in the 80's and early 90's. Do you dispute that?

No not at all that would be silly.. There's afew factors at play here.  Anything here in New York is a multi-million dollar expense there are so many verticals that could be applied to fit. Where not talking about a Detroit here a month of extra parking tickets can off set metrocard's easily not saying that money can't be placed somewhere else.  

Student Card factors

(Time) 6:30-8:30 (+) M-F (x) 10 months

another check is even with this you still have to fit within 3 rides per day. 

Personal factors

Standard American culture pride's itself on morals,principles, hard work and ethics the basic I earned it. We hold the population at large to it. Factor that in with adulthood. The point that we might feel a person can be held accountable  18 years of age but widely regarded as 21 but okay we can add them both into the equation.

So let's use the PUA method to walk thru.

(P) Principles: With the Metrocard corruption we have High School age children notice I used the word children because there for the most part between the ages of 14-18.. Can they be held to our principle standard? Well... you should know the basis between right and wrong but when you've been for just 15 years still quite abit more to learn so sneaking off to the beach ahh no Playstation for you!  But a 42 year old Firefighter that claimed disability and is banking and get's caught on a beach in the Islands parasailing! Yeah that sounds more like corruption to me.

(U) Understanding

14-18 age old child. Does he/she understand the ramifications of his $2.75-$8.75 heist? Maybe did I at 15?

42 year Cop getting $5500 at month from disability? Ohhh you betcha..

(A) Accountability

14-18 year old.. Lesson to be learnt but there kids.

42 Year old's that claim to live by morals and principles!  Jail ?! Yes.. Please!

So you wouldn't put something like a disability scam or reality rackets over a kid using his/her school metrocard off the books?

Yes we should get it under control and im sure they will with withever replaces the Metrocard.. I went to Highschool in Manhattan before metrocards.. I remember R/S passes paper passes unlimited rides on all buses and trains until 8:30 sometimes 9 if there where in a good mood.. 3 rides a day nothing to what it was in the 80's and early 90's. Do you dispute that?

Oh come now... Let's not act like kids are so dumb and naïve.  I'm not that far removed from being a teenager myself.  Abuse has been reduced with the Student Metrocard, but the entitlement of riding for free has not, so if teens or young adults can't get on with their card or their friend's card, they simply walk on a have a seat, even when they should be paying.  It's the entitlement issue that I have a problem with because it begins a cycle.  These teens become adults doing the same thing. 

Oh come now... Let's not act like kids are so dumb and naïve.  I'm not that far removed from being a teenager myself.  Abuse has been reduced with the Student Metrocard, but the entitlement of riding for free has not, so if teens or young adults can't get on with their card or their friend's card, they simply walk on a have a seat, even when they should be paying.  It's the entitlement issue that I have a problem with because it begins a cycle.  These teens become adults doing the same thing. 

Right i'm saying your wrong..but im not saying your right I feel you have a limited view.. Your speaking from a perspective that the person fully understands there faults. You didn't enter the world with any views or understand you learnt from the people and the direct world around you. Your viewing the world from your perspective which is okay I mean honestly that's all we have to start but at least submit to the fact that people might have a different view. Entitlement is generational issue in the larger sense America's based on instant gratification nowadays on every level. Moral's and ethics aren't genetic it's learnt and nurtured if you don't have someone to teach or nurture where does that leave you in society as a whole? I hold the firefighters and cops in this comparison way more accountable then a bunch of kids that don't know there backsides from there elbows. Anybody that claims to be rational and have moral standing needs to be held accountable these kid's never said or show'd they understood cause-and-effect.. Should they be checked absolutely.. But 40 or 50 year old working class men ? You can't be serious.

Right i'm saying your wrong..but im not saying your right I feel you have a limited view.. Your speaking from a perspective that the person fully understands there faults. You didn't enter the world with any views or understand you learnt from the people and the direct world around you. Your viewing the world from your perspective which is okay I mean honestly that's all we have to start but at least submit to the fact that people might have a different view. Entitlement is generational issue in the larger sense America's based on instant gratification nowadays on every level. Moral's and ethics aren't genetic it's learnt and nurtured if you don't have someone to teach or nurture where does that leave you in society as a whole? I hold the firefighters and cops in this comparison way more accountable then a bunch of kids that don't know there backsides from there elbows. Anybody that claims to be rational and have moral standing needs to be held accountable these kid's never said or show'd they understood cause-and-effect.. Should they be checked absolutely.. But 40 or 50 year old working class men ? You can't be serious.

My view isn't limited at all.  My point is that by this age they should know and understand what they're doing, and they most certainly get it despite you thinking that they're too young to do so. I sure as hell did at that age.  Never underestimate youth. They are very smart, even if they may not show it.  If they don't know now, when are they supposed to learn?  The same 40 & 50 year olds that you're complaining about were teens as well, and likely were given a pass on the premise that they were too young to know better.  

I'm not saying to go hard on them either, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be changes made.  Student Metrocards are issued way too easily anyway. I would start there.  They're handed out in some cases on a favoritism basis rather than actual need, and while they may seem free, they are not, so changes have to start with the schools in coordination with the (MTA).  Give a set amount of cards to the schools and have them monitored accordingly. 

My view isn't limited at all.  My point is that by this age they should know and understand what they're doing, and they most certainly get it despite you thinking that they're too young to do so. I sure as hell did at that age.  Never underestimate youth. They are very smart, even if they may not show it.  If they don't know now, when are they supposed to learn?  The same 40 & 50 year olds that you're complaining about were teens as well, and likely were given a pass on the premise that they were too young to know better.  

I'm not saying to go hard on them either, but that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be changes made.  Student Metrocards are issued way too easily anyway. I would start there.  They're handed out in some cases on a favoritism basis rather than actual need, and while they may seem free, they are not, so changes have to start with the schools in coordination with the (MTA).  Give a set amount of cards to the schools and have them monitored accordingly. 

So your saying that 15 year olds process and apply different now then they did 20/25 years ago? Underestimate you might be taking that information in at 15 but trust you have no idea in the least how to apply that information. You don't have any teens in your household I see. And this is based on what? Right 15/16 year olds that became cops and took oath to serve and protect rationally and wholeheartedly. Talk and about cop's and crooks... what is our society coming to.  

Again the MTA is doing alot better in 2016 then they where in 1992 with student passes wouldn't you agree? People used to counterfeit those. Is that a issue with metrocards. Im sure they'll get it under control with there new tech.

Plus what's % of metrocards they estimate that's being misused?

So your saying that 15 year olds process and apply different now then they did 20/25 years ago? Underestimate you might be taking that information in at 15 but trust you have no idea in the least how to apply that information. You don't have any teens in your household I see. And this is based on what? Right 15/16 year olds that became cops and took oath to serve and protect rationally and wholeheartedly. Talk and about cop's and crooks... what is our society coming to.  

Again the MTA is doing alot better in 2016 then they where in 1992 with student passes wouldn't you agree? People used to counterfeit those. Is that a issue with metrocards. Im sure they'll get it under control with there new tech.

Plus what's % of metrocards they estimate that's being misused?

I work with nothing but teens (tutor teens daily), so I have a pretty good idea of how they process information.  I have no idea what the percentage is but it is still a problem, and quite frankly, I don't understand why they give them out when most kids don't even dip them.

I work with nothing but teens (tutor teens daily), so I have a pretty good idea of how they process information.  I have no idea what the percentage is but it is still a problem, and quite frankly, I don't understand why they give them out when most kids don't even dip them.

There are 41 million teens in the US  not the narrative overall. You may be working with kids that need extra help or lack structure plus that's 10-15 kids you tutor at most? All in the same area's... So how do you know there's a issue if you don't have a gauge of the existent of the issue itself? So your saying that the MTA just prints MetroCards without some type of tally? From the BOE?

and quite frankly, I don't understand why they give them out when most kids don't even dip them.

I'd blame that on bus drivers. Most them just waive on kids instead of having each one dip their card. I can count the number of times in my four years a B/O didn't wave me on and didn't cover the slot with his/her hand while doing so, on one hand.

(Four if you are wondering)

Actually there is a rule the schools have to follow if the fail to do so they get a fine. There is no favoritism everybody must get a card. However the type of card they get is based on the distance the student must travel to get to and from school. The school actually has to monitor all cards and deactivate any lost cards. Its not like they have a box of metrocards and just start raining it down on the students.

Actually there is a rule the schools have to follow if the fail to do so they get a fine. There is no favoritism everybody must get a card. However the type of card they get is based on the distance the student must travel to get to and from school. The school actually has to monitor all cards and deactivate any lost cards. Its not like they have a box of metrocards and just start raining it down on the students.

It's supposed to be that way, but are the rules followed and enforced? I would say yes and no, and people are still getting around the system far too easily.

It's supposed to be that way, but are the rules followed and enforced? I would say yes and no, and people are still getting around the system far too easily.

I agree. Considering the state of many of the crummy public high schools, where they can barely keep guns and drugs out of the buildings, I highly doubt anyone is watching over the MetroCard program with a fine toothed comb. Those student cards are valuable. I've seen people sell them, etc

Archived