Extended Rockaway Park Shuttle for Summer Season

Union Tpke

post-2642-0-80254900-1464355516_thumb.jpg
Summer weekend ridership on the (S) Rockaway Park shuttle, which normally operates between Rockaway Park-Beach 116 St and Broad Channel, has grown dramatically over the last few years and is now well in excess of pre-Super Storm Sandy levels. In response to this growing ridership, and to better accommodate travelers heading to and from Rockaway Beach on weekends this summer, MTA New York City Transit will be extending the (S) from Broad Channel to the Rockaway Blvd station on the (A) line from approximately 9am to 9pm.

The extension of the (S) to Rockaway Blvd will allow southbound (beach-bound) customers to transfer to the (S) from both the Lefferts Blvd (A) train and the Far Rockaway A Subway train, effectively doubling southbound access to the S Subway. Likewise, the (S) extension will allow northbound Shuttle riders to transfer to (A) trains originating at either Lefferts Blvd or Far Rockaway.

Read more: Source

post-2642-0-80254900-1464355516_thumb.jpg

No, because that would require either taking service away from Lefferts Blvd and Far Rockaway, or spending exponentially more money sending additional trains all the way to 207th Street instead of just Rockaway Blvd.

No, because that would require either taking service away from Lefferts Blvd and Far Rockaway, or spending exponentially more money sending additional trains all the way to 207th Street instead of just Rockaway Blvd.

What about extending the (C) to Rockaway Park from Euclid on weekends and holidays during the summer OR during that time have all (A) trains run to the Rockaways (even split between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park) and have the (C) replace the (A) to Lefferts.  If people complained on Lefferts about the (C) going there on weekends, they would be reminded they could make a same platform transfer to the (A) anywhere between Rockaway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue and they would be also reminded this would be exclusively on weekends and holidays and current weekday service would be unchanged.  

What about extending the (C) to Rockaway Park from Euclid on weekends and holidays during the summer OR during that time have all (A) trains run to the Rockaways (even split between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park) and have the (C) replace the (A) to Lefferts. If people complained on Lefferts about the (C) going there on weekends, they would be reminded they could make a same platform transfer to the (A) anywhere between Rockaway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue and they would be also reminded this would be exclusively on weekends and holidays and current weekday service would be unchanged.

The amount of times I have heard this idea...

What about extending the (C) to Rockaway Park from Euclid on weekends and holidays during the summer OR during that time have all (A) trains run to the Rockaways (even split between Far Rockaway and Rockaway Park) and have the (C) replace the (A) to Lefferts.  If people complained on Lefferts about the (C) going there on weekends, they would be reminded they could make a same platform transfer to the (A) anywhere between Rockaway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue and they would be also reminded this would be exclusively on weekends and holidays and current weekday service would be unchanged.  

.........no.

That's still going to cost more than the shuttle extension.

Sounds like a plan, but how are they going to reverse trains at Rockaway Blvd, especially when there are no switches? The nearest are west of 88th St.

I assume they will deadhead trains from Rockaway to west of 88th, but I can't be too sure.

They were thinking of providing more Rockaway Park shuttle service without having to wait for a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train in the process. As to why trains are terminating at Rockaway Blvd, that's most likely because the other nearby terminal at Euclid Av is not a viable option with through (A) service running on the express tracks and the (C) trains on the locals.

Sounds like a plan, but how are they going to reverse trains at Rockaway Blvd, especially when there are no switches? The nearest are west of 88th St.

I assume they will deadhead trains from Rockaway to west of 88th, but I can't be too sure.

Exactly what they will do. I really don't think it is that much of a problem.

That's what I think they'll do cause they have no other option

That's what I think they'll do cause they have no other option

There’s always the option of using the switch by Sutter Avenue and 100 Street. But that switch is kind of far away and reversing in such a matter is going to cause delays even for the relatively-long headway there.

They were thinking of providing more Rockaway Park shuttle service without having to wait for a Far Rockaway-bound (A) train in the process. As to why trains are terminating at Rockaway Blvd, that's most likely because the other nearby terminal at Euclid Av is not a viable option with through (A) service running on the express tracks and the (C) trains on the locals.

Which is why on weekends and holidays I would have the (C) to Lefferts and the (A) 's split evenly between Rockaway Park and Far Rockaway.  

I thought Euclid Av had switches before entering the station with trains coming from Manhattan, do they not exist anymore? Granted it would be a lot of switch work but (A) can switch local going to Euclid and the shuttle can just terminate on the Queens Bound express track and the (A) going towards Manhattan can continue to use the express track. This is all based off the NYCSubway track map which I am told can be very outdated in parts.

I thought Euclid Av had switches before entering the station with trains coming from Manhattan, do they not exist anymore? Granted it would be a lot of switch work but (A) can switch local going to Euclid and the shuttle can just terminate on the Queens Bound express track and the (A) going towards Manhattan can continue to use the express track. This is all based off the NYCSubway track map which I am told can be very outdated in parts.

There's a diamond crossover on both ends of the station between the express tracks and north of the station between the local and express tracks. The problem is having through trains sharing a track with terminating trains.

The farest the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png would go is Euclid Av. The 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png can not terminate at Rockaway Blvd. It will have to travel all way up to 80 St to turn back around.  How would the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png allow southbound (beach-bound) customers to transfer to the  (S) from both the Lefferts Blvd  (A) train and the Far Rockaway  (A) train, effectively doubling southbound access? If the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png goes to Euclid Av the  (A) has to run local from Euclid to Bway Junction. If you talking about an extension for the summer, the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png has to take away some of the cars from the  (A) to make the extension work. I think what you are saying on this topic is pointless. 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png is doing fine with maintaining it's ridership for the summer. 

There are switches in between 88th Street and 80th Street that allow trains from the east (Lefferts and the Rockaways) to go the middle track and head back east. So essentially from the Manhattan-bound track to the middle, and back to the Queens track. The trains will go out of service at Rockaway Blvd. So yes, they can terminate at Rockaway Blvd. When they mean doubling southbound service (worded weirdly), it means that people who would ordinarily wait for the Rockaway (A) train will no longer have to wait for it and they can take the Lefferts train, if it arrives first.

Dumb question. The Rockaway (S) will be full length or still be 4 cars?

4 CAR OPTO weekdays, Full length to Rockaway Blvd weekends.

The farest the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png would go is Euclid Av. The 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png can not terminate at Rockaway Blvd. It will have to travel all way up to 80 St to turn back around. How would the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.pngallow southbound (beach-bound) customers to transfer to the (S) from both the Lefferts Blvd (A) train and the Far Rockaway (A) train, effectively doubling southbound access? If the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png goes to Euclid Av the (A) has to run local from Euclid to Bway Junction. If you talking about an extension for the summer, the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png has to take away some of the cars from the (A) to make the extension work. I think what you are saying on this topic is pointless. 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png is doing fine with maintaining it's ridership for the summer.

It will have no problem terminating at Rockaway Blvd. Passengers will get dumped off at Rockaway Blvd and trains will run light to north of 88 St and switch to the middle track (K3/4). Going to The Rockaways, trains will switch from the middle track to the southbound local track and run light to Rockaway Blvd to get the beach goers.

And stop using wiki images for subway bullets. This website provides adequate subway bullets for you to use.

Archived