Late night (R) train service extended

Just today, the (MTA) has announced that it is extending the (R) train to Whitehall Street-South Ferry during late nights. The goal is to improve connections between Lower Manhattan and southwest Brooklyn.

Read more: http://www.mta.info/news-r-r-train-r-shuttle-subway-new-york-city-transit/2016/06/16/change-allows-more-transfers-faster

This is an interesting proposal. Let's see how far this goes.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

What I want to know is what will the frequencies be?  The extension is great, but they need to be increased to something more reasonable. The waits late nights for an (R) train is just ridiculous. They need to bump up frequencies in general.  You can have three or four (N) trains for every (R) train at 59th street.

What I want to know is what will the frequencies be?  The extension is great, but they need to be increased to something more reasonable. The waits late nights for an (R) train is just ridiculous. They need to bump up frequencies in general.  You can have three or four (N) trains for every (R) train at 59th street.

The standard frequency for overnight service is 3 trains per hour (20 minute headways)

I wonder if they'll make the (N) run express along 4th Avenue overnights. The local stations from 36th to Pacific would actually see rush hour levels of frequency during the overnight period if it runs local (they'd be seeing 3 TPH each from the (D), (N), and (R))

This is good news. What next, the (5) shuttle gets extended late nights

Having the (5) perhaps run express between Dyre and Grand Central would be a good idea, or perhaps have the (5) replace the (4) as the second Lexington Avenue Local late nights and run with the (6) during those hours to Brooklyn Bridge (obviously in that scenario the (4) would run express as it does the rest of the time).

I wonder if they'll make the (N) run express along 4th Avenue overnights. The local stations from 36th to Pacific would actually see rush hour levels of frequency during the overnight period if it runs local (they'd be seeing 3 TPH each from the (D), (N), and (R))

I suspect that would be the case because the only stretch where it would be 9 TPH overnights would be between DeKalb and 36th Street.

The standard frequency for overnight service is 3 trains per hour (20 minute headways)

They should make the (D) express, not the (N) so they don't have to use that awkward switch at Atlantic (the (D) can use the bypass from the Manhattan Bridge)

They should make the (D) express, not the (N) so they don't have to use that awkward switch at Atlantic (the (D) can use the bypass from the Manhattan Bridge)

Now that I noticed extra trains on 4th Av, I have to agree with you. The only reason the (D) ran local in Brooklyn is because of the (R) ending at 36 St. Otherwise probably would have been express since it started west end service.

Would this impact the (W) when it returns? During the 10 or 11pm hour, wouldnt the (W) and (R) shuttle both be using Whitehall as a terminal for a short period?

I agree though this is a good idea.

I would think the (R) shuttle would probably start a little bit later so it doesn't conflict with it.

The (D) running express eliminates 6 Avenue service at DeKalb Avenue. But given that the MTA doesn’t bother to fill in this deficiency when the (B) doesn’t run on weekends, I doubt it’s much of a problem. The (N), being a local at night should do what it does best and stay a local throughout for the sake of consistency.

I won’t have to decide between a Manhattan express/Brooklyn local (Q) and Manhattan local/Brooklyn express (N) when I get out during times like 11:15 PM (which is a good time to go home after a night out).

Thats not a bad idea either...I think the 5 should go to bowling green Late nights...That will Eliminate 2 tranfers just to reach lex ave...And provide express service along lex ave....Just my opinion....

Thats not a bad idea either...I think the 5 should go to bowling green Late nights...That will Eliminate 2 tranfers just to reach lex ave...And provide express service along lex ave....Just my opinion....

Agreed.  The other thing is that the (5) runs so infrequently when it does run on weekends. Every 20 minutes is a joke.

It should be, but I doubt it will happen. Those folks up there in the Bronx put up with some of the abysmal service.

---

What I also think needs to be stressed about the (R) is that it needs to be timed to meet with the (N) and or the (D) if possible.  

Agreed.  The other thing is that the (5) runs so infrequently when it does run on weekends. Every 20 minutes is a joke.

It should be, but I doubt it will happen. Those folks up there in the Bronx put up with some of the abysmal service.

---

What I also think needs to be stressed about the (R) is that it needs to be timed to meet with the (N) and or the (D) if possible.  

Every 20 minutes is a lot better than in most places, which don't have late night service.

Every 20 minutes is a lot better than in most places, which don't have late night service.

It may sound great, but the problem with the (R) is those trains don't really adhere to their so-called schedules, so you often wait much longer than 20 minutes.  Anything that the (MTA) can do to decrease the wait times would be welcomed, particularly for Bay Ridge residents and those commuting to Staten Island.

Archived