Late night (R) train service extended

It may sound great, but the problem with the (R) is those trains don't really adhere to their so-called schedules, so you often wait much longer than 20 minutes.  Anything that the (MTA) can do to decrease the wait times would be welcomed, particularly for Bay Ridge residents and those commuting to Staten Island.

I know what you are saying. That is why the (N) should run local via Fourth Avenue. I am not sure what to do for passengers south of 59th Street.

Has anyone forgotten about terminating some late night W trains at Canal Street such as after about 9:30 PM where they can be laid up there?

The first W trains in the morning came out of the Coney Island yard beginning at 86th Street and operated as N trains on their first trip to Astoria where they became W trains. The same thing may happen again both in the AM and PM hours. I remember the AM put ins as they were usually the R/40's until they were phased out 

Has anyone forgotten about terminating some late night W trains at Canal Street such as after about 9:30 PM where they can be laid up there?

The first W trains in the morning came out of the Coney Island yard beginning at 86th Street and operated as N trains on their first trip to Astoria where they became W trains. The same thing may happen again both in the AM and PM hours. I remember the AM put ins as they were usually the R/40's until they were phased out 

It almost definitely will come back. The lay up tracks at City Hall and south of Canal Street are already being used.

It may sound great, but the problem with the (R) is those trains don't really adhere to their so-called schedules, so you often wait much longer than 20 minutes.

That's because they're single tracking late nights while they fix those tracks. The neighbors along 4 Avenue complained of vibrations so the tracks are getting replaced with continuous welded rail. The community vetoed weekend closures so we got single tracking and lack of a schedule late nights instead...

That's because they're single tracking late nights while they fix those tracks. The neighbors along 4 Avenue complained of vibrations so the tracks are getting replaced with continuous welded rail. The community vetoed weekend closures so we got single tracking and lack of a schedule late nights instead...

Yeah but the (R) train late nights has always been a mess, well before this project.  

Agreed.  The other thing is that the (5) runs so infrequently when it does run on weekends. Every 20 minutes is a joke.

It should be, but I doubt it will happen. Those folks up there in the Bronx put up with some of the abysmal service.

---

What I also think needs to be stressed about the (R) is that it needs to be timed to meet with the (N) and or the (D) if possible.  

Thats not a bad idea either...I think the 5 should go to bowling green Late nights...That will Eliminate 2 tranfers just to reach lex ave...And provide express service along lex ave....Just my opinion....

I would just send the (5) to 125...still eliminates the need to transfer at 180 for the (2)

I would just send the (5) to 125...still eliminates the need to transfer at 180 for the (2)

That makes the most sense. The (6) used to run from Pelham Bay Park to 125th during late nights.

You guys realize the (5) can't end at 125th because the (4) uses the tracks n both directions. Also, the only track available for turnarounds is the uptown express track, and that could delay uptown (4) trains at 125th.

At least when the (6) did it, no trains were able to be delayed.

You guys realize the (5) can't end at 125th because the (4) uses the tracks n both directions. Also, the only track available for turnarounds is the uptown express track, and that could delay uptown (4) trains at 125th.

At least when the (6) did it, no trains were able to be delayed.

there are 20 minute headways

It's about time the (R) has received some of these transit improvements the other lines have gotten over the past few years. As for the (5) running to/from Manhattan during the overnight hours, I wouldn't hold my breath. Running the (5) to Grand Central or Bowling Green would be prohibitively expensive in comparison to the other service expansions we've seen lately, like the full-time extension of the (J) to Broad St or the weekend extension of the (M) to Essex St. If anything, I could see the (5) extended to 149 Street during the overnight hours to eliminate the double transfer for Dyre Ave riders heading to/from the east side.

The MTA should just let the (R) run all times to 71 Av. In my opinion I think the (R) running only to South Ferry is waste of time. Beside the (N) is running solo beyond South Ferry to Canal St and then 57 St-7 Av to Lex 59 St and customers wanting to get to QB have to go upstairs and take the (6) one stop and then get off and catch the (E).  

The MTA should just let the (R) run all times to 71 Av. In my opinion I think the (R) running only to South Ferry is waste of time. Beside the (N) is running solo beyond South Ferry to Canal St and then 57 St-7 Av to Lex 59 St and customers wanting to get to QB have to go upstairs and take the (6) one stop and then get off and catch the (E).

Or they can transfer at either Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street for the (F). The (G) will also go to Queens for a connection to the (E).

Now that I noticed extra trains on 4th Av, I have to agree with you. The only reason the (D) ran local in Brooklyn is because of the (R) ending at 36 St. Otherwise probably would have been express since it started west end service.

The other reason why it's local is because of the Work Trains that comes from 36th Street Yard. Thats why the (D) and (N) runs local northbound earlier on the weekdays than weekends. Same with why Express service southbound begins at 7 AM on weekdays on both trains. 

Having 3 trains local at night isn't a huge problem tbh especially when the express is only like 3-4 minutes extra compared to when running local.

The (R) should terminate at Whitehall St when the (E) and (F) go local at 10PM because of trackwork. The delays are crazy!

The (E) needs help at night along QB

No it doesn't 

Would be a better use of resources to just have the (F) run local as well in that case.

Correct. If the (E) and (F) are running local the (R) is NOT needed, It just adds to delays, "train traffic", "dispatcher holds"  and customer frustration.

Would be a better use of resources to just have the (F) run local as well in that case.

Given that most people using the (E) and (F) (or at least a significant portion of them) are doing it as part of a train+bus journey, making the (F) local would be a terrible idea. At least one route has to run express to Jamaica.

It's about time the (R) has received some of these transit improvements the other lines have gotten over the past few years. As for the (5) running to/from Manhattan during the overnight hours, I wouldn't hold my breath. Running the (5) to Grand Central or Bowling Green would be prohibitively expensive in comparison to the other service expansions we've seen lately, like the full-time extension of the (J) to Broad St or the weekend extension of the (M) to Essex St. If anything, I could see the (5) extended to 149 Street during the overnight hours to eliminate the double transfer for Dyre Ave riders heading to/from the east side.

Dyre-149 is possible though that would create the same problem as the (2).  Perhaps late nights the (5) could run Dyre Avenue-86th Street since you do have a track switch there and make it so trains terminate on the downtown platform there (and late nights only have a special OOS transfer between the two platforms at 86th/Lex for the handful who would ride the (5) to 86th and take an uptown (4) or (6) back to 96th or 103rd).   That could work.

Dyre-149 is possible though that would create the same problem as the (2).  Perhaps late nights the (5) could run Dyre Avenue-86th Street since you do have a track switch there and make it so trains terminate on the downtown platform there (and late nights only have a special OOS transfer between the two platforms at 86th/Lex for the handful who would ride the (5) to 86th and take an uptown (4) or (6) back to 96th or 103rd).   That could work.

OOS transfer completely unnecessary when you could just transfer at 125th Street. TA wouldn't do that.

Archived