MTA eTix are here on the Hudson Line and Port Washington Branch

Union Tpke

If she's riding alone (because she's working late), an e-ticket on my phone won't help her.  

Can't she just carry your phone for that??  I mean you can't tell me that your trips on the LIRR are that random...  I generally take Metro-North two or three times a week (sometimes more if I buy a pass) either to sleep in late in the morning, beat traffic at night or put me closer to my final destination (i.e. if I am going somewhere near Grand Central).  I mean in the worst case scenario she doesn't use it.  With the insanely humid weather this week, Metro-North may be an option I exercise in the mornings to reduce having to walk so far from the express bus to my office, as I can take shortcuts in Grand Central in the air conditioning.

Can't she just carry your phone for that??  I mean you can't tell me that your trips on the LIRR are that random...  

Yes, our LIRR trips are that random (out of 10 trips, I usually end up getting rid of the last three or four during the final week that the ticket is valid).

No, I can't let my phone go a whole day just for one app.  I need it during the day to keep in touch with her (which I can't do if she has it).

Yes, our LIRR trips are that random (out of 10 trips, I usually end up getting rid of the last three or four during the final week that the ticket is valid).

No, I can't let my phone go a whole day just for one app.  I need it during the day to keep in touch with her (which I can't do if she has it).

lol... Aww... 

Something I thought about this morning on the way into the office via Metro-North was don't you need internet access to activate the ticket? Cell service is basically non-existent from the platforms in Grand Central all the way to the Harlem-125th street station, so I'm not sure how that would work?

Cell service is needed to purchase the ticket. Once purchased it is held in the app's ticket wallet. Activation is a function within the app.

The first part is a given... The activation part was really the question... Interesting... Good Day NY did a story on this today and it got positive feedback.  It's supposed to be available throughout the system by the end of the summer or perhaps sooner.  

• 3 weeks later...

Harlem line is getting it next week and the New Haven and the rest of the LIRR will get it August 22nd.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I have the app, but I have yet to test it.  I don't like storing my bank card anywhere or any automated set up.  I prefer to use things where I am required to personally input my info each time.  Lessens the changes of having issues and improves security IMO... 

• 2 weeks later...

In the case of the New Haven line, will the price on the app include the web ticket discount for travel to/from/within CT? Or the in station fare? (Example: Fordham to NH is $13 in station but $12.50 online)

Good question...  I just checked on my phone and it appears to be what you would be charged if you bought a ticket at the station. So for example, my ticket would still be $8.75 (peak) from Grand Central to Riverdale.

In the case of the New Haven line, will the price on the app include the web ticket discount for travel to/from/within CT? Or the in station fare? (Example: Fordham to NH is $13 in station but $12.50 online)

Keep in mind, if CT lawmakers get their way, the web ticket may be a thing of the past with their latest proposals.

I can't find it at the moment but I read yesterday that with the proposed (CT only) fare increases at the end of the year, once the app is live on the NH Line, they (CT lawmakers) want to do away with the web ticket option and the discount that goes along with it.

Mind you this only affects travel to and from CT.  Metro North and MTA have no control over this as they are contracted by CTDOT to provide the service.

• 3 weeks later...

So far so good with eTix, and turns out for the New Haven Line it charges the ticket office fare (no WebTicket discount). No big deal.

I do have a question about making transfers though. If I need to go from Fordham to New Haven with a transfer at Stamford, should I buy Fordham-Stamford then Stamford-New Haven on two separate transactions to cover myself in case the eTicket gets marked as "expired" enroute? Or should I just do the one transaction for Fordham-New Haven and hope the ticket doesn't expire in an hour?

The two transactions actually cost the same as the thru ticket so it's not a huge problem either way...

Archived