B82 +select bus service+

Kingjunior34

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did they release any sort of map outlaying where they'd implement bus lanes for the 82?

From what I know of, no. The study seems to still be going on.

This one is gonna be a bit more complex than it should be. Mainly because people are clamoring for more service to Gateway Mall via this SBS. I think the B83 and possibly the B82 SBS need to be sent via the local roads (back way; via Van Siclen/Flatlands/Vandalia/Gateway Dr.) to Gateway Mall.

From what I know of, no. The study seems to still be going on.

This one is gonna be a bit more complex than it should be. Mainly because people are clamoring for more service to Gateway Mall via this SBS. I think the B83 and possibly the B82 SBS need to be sent via the local roads (back way; via Van Siclen/Flatlands/Vandalia/Gateway Dr.) to Gateway Mall.

They need to fix the back roads on Flatlands. There are speed humps in that immediate area. I don't know how SBS82+ will work and I don't think an extension to Gateway Mall will warrant that. The route is already long enough to Coney Island and Ulmer Park Depot.

PS: I don't get the logic to why the B82 is with ENY, and that the route starts/finish at most times at Ulmer Park.

I thought that the B/6 already has a split with service beginning and ending at Coney Island Avenue and Avenue J during the weekday afternoon period. While the Avenue J problem is much smaller than the Kings Highway portion of the B./82, the B/6 most likely has problems at the junction and further east. My problem with SBS remains the Federal money which entices the MTA to take it as it does not have to pay it back when I feel that adding more dispatchers on many of these routes would improve service more that SBS. The problem is the budget boys and their allies, the number crunchers and the paper pushers would have such agita at the thought of it that they would demand another fare increase to pay for it.  

The hardest part for the B6 is the SBS lanes and stop placement. Ave J is murder on the B6 due to the double parking.The B82 will suffer the same fate on Kings Highway past Av P, Rockaway PKWY Station, Flatlands Between Ralph & Remsen. Having the SBS going to gateway could work but then again that is to much service to gateway.

The hardest part for the B6 is the SBS lanes and stop placement. Ave J is murder on the B6 due to the double parking.The B82 will suffer the same fate on Kings Highway past Av P, Rockaway PKWY Station, Flatlands Between Ralph & Remsen. Having the SBS going to gateway could work but then again that is to much service to gateway.

You already have the B13, B83, B84, and Q8 direct to Gateway.

B6 is a 2-3 LONG block walk from Schenck & Cozine.

No need for the B82 to be at gateway. B/C If that's the case. Have the B82 and B6 both stop at Gateway [PART TIME] perhaps.

If the B6 were to be split, I would send the southern split down to Coney island, replacing the B82 along Cropsey....

Regardless of a B6 split or not (which I personally wouldn't do, since that creates the problem of having more buses ending around the junction), the B82 should've never been created.... I firmly believe that since they didn't know what to do w/ the old B5 (short of discontinuing the thing), they combined it w/ the B50 in an attempt to save face....

I would bring back the B50 & extend the B100 to Caesars Bay.... Cropsey south of 25th would be served by a new route (most of which is the western half of the current B4).... The B4 would be complementary service to the B1 running along 86th, still running to Sheepshead...

To sum it up:

B82: Broken up into 3 routes ("B5", B50, B100)...

B4: Bay Ridge (86th/4th) - Sheepshead Bay via 86th st

"B5": Bay Ridge (Narrows/77th) - Coney Island via Bay Ridge Pkwy, via Cropsey

"B50": The discontinued B50, unchanged (CI/Quentin - Spring Creek Towers via current B82 routing)

B100: Caesars Bay shopping ctr. - Mill Basin (via current B82 routing b/w Kings Hwy (B)(Q) & Cropsey/Bay Pkwy)

--------------

As for the bus network on the Spring Creek end, it is one big clusterf**k - and the addition of the B84 does not help matters....

Pennsylvania south of Flatlands doesn't need supplemental service along it, but the issue is two-fold:

1] an existing demand for service to the (L) - which is done w/ the B82...

2] the overall demand being greater for the B83 over the B82...

Seems as if every time I venture down to Starrett, there are less & less people seeking 82's & more & more folks piling onto B83's... I can't fathom the demand for the (L) dwindling that much; maybe folks are really taking the B83 the whole way through (B'way Junction) for the L instead....

What I will say though is that the B82 is slow as f*** b/w Starrett & Canarsie (L)... That's one thing an SBS would fix, but if they're to have buses running to Gateway, the waits for buses (which is another issue on that end w/ the B82) would hardly change, if at all....

If the B6 were to be split, I would send the southern split down to Coney island, replacing the B82 along Cropsey....

Regardless of a B6 split or not (which I personally wouldn't do, since that creates the problem of having more buses ending around the junction), the B82 should've never been created.... I firmly believe that since they didn't know what to do w/ the old B5 (short of discontinuing the thing), they combined it w/ the B50 in an attempt to save face....

I would bring back the B50 & extend the B100 to Caesars Bay.... Cropsey south of 25th would be served by a new route (most of which is the western half of the current B4).... The B4 would be complementary service to the B1 running along 86th, still running to Sheepshead...

To sum it up:

B82: Broken up into 3 routes ("B5", B50, B100)...

B4: Bay Ridge (86th/4th) - Sheepshead Bay via 86th st

"B5": Bay Ridge (Narrows/77th) - Coney Island via Bay Ridge Pkwy, via Cropsey

"B50": The discontinued B50, unchanged (CI/Quentin - Spring Creek Towers via current B82 routing)

B100: Caesars Bay shopping ctr. - Mill Basin (via current B82 routing b/w Kings Hwy (B)(Q) & Cropsey/Bay Pkwy)

--------------

As for the bus network on the Spring Creek end, it is one big clusterf**k - and the addition of the B84 does not help matters....

Pennsylvania south of Flatlands doesn't need supplemental service along it, but the issue is two-fold:

1] an existing demand for service to the (L) - which is done w/ the B82...

2] the overall demand being greater for the B83 over the B82...

Seems as if every time I venture down to Starrett, there are less & less people seeking 82's & more & more folks piling onto B83's... I can't fathom the demand for the (L) dwindling that much; maybe folks are really taking the B83 the whole way through (B'way Junction) for the L instead....

What I will say though is that the B82 is slow as f*** b/w Starrett & Canarsie (L)... That's one thing an SBS would fix, but if they're to have buses running to Gateway, the waits for buses (which is another issue on that end w/ the B82) would hardly change, if at all....

The demand for the B82 to L train connection is a rush hour demand mostly, that's in abundance. Usually the working class and schoolkids utilize that connection. Midday, yeah not so much. Don't know when you come down here, but I live down here. See it all the time now.

People are always getting on the B83 for two reasons: the (3) train, an all day and all night (LATE NIGHT SERVICE ON THE B83 TO SCT IS NEEDED!) connection; and  during midday - that's just where people are going - at stops along the B83, including Gateway Mall.

There's not enough B83's. Ever since Gateway Mall opened, service has been awful - buses bunch up, lateness, overcrowding, etc. The bunch ups partially have to do with the Belt Parkway. This shouldn't have to be said - but buses shouldn't be on the Belt Parkway! This is a huge source of issues with that route - and the backroad idea of having a B82 SBS run up that way, could and should easily be adapted to the B83, with no extra stops - just straight through the back road. I had brought this to the attention of the people I was speaking with months back who were surveying people about this B82 SBS. They said that was something they were studying as well, that the backroads actually may save them time and fuel costs (albeit slightly on the fuel costs, but the savings are there, especially during the summer).

I wouldn't split that B82 as is simply because, if you aren't splitting the B6, you don't split either. They are similar animals, and people do ride end-to-end on both routes during the midday and evening hours, when the limited isn't there (B82 late nights I mean, I don't think people use the B6 end-to-end on a late night)

If you have a B82 SBS, then I'd consider splits. One split I'd immediately approve of is Canarsie (L) Station to Spring Creek. Another split is Flatbush/Flatlands Avs to Canarsie (L) Station. Another is Caesars Bay to Coney Island Av (extended late nights to Flatbush/Flatlands Avs). And last but not least, your B5 idea. Why this many splits? Because this is the real demand points for local service, if there's an SBS to cover everything else - that runs 24/7.

Of course, the B82 SBS will not run 24/7. That just won't happen. They'll deem that unnecessary, since a current B82 local is efficient enough to cover that service. And it is, but if you do splits, you'd confuse people late nights with a B82 local, since it wouldn't exist during the day.

Now, in my opinion, if any route in Bklyn requires abs, it has to be the B6. That route is hard to board, no matter where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I disagree with this. I don't think that B6 would benefit from anything, honestly.

You already have the B13, B83, B84, and Q8 direct to Gateway.

B6 is a 2-3 LONG block walk from Schenck & Cozine.

No need for the B82 to be at gateway. B/C If that's the case. Have the B82 and B6 both stop at Gateway [PART TIME] perhaps.

No to the bold. B82 is closer to Gateway. And the reason the B82 (as a SBS) is even being considered is because of the unreliability of the B83. I assume you don't frequent this place.

I disagree with this. I don't think that B6 would benefit from anything, honestly.

No to the bold. B82 is closer to Gateway. And the reason the B82 (as a SBS) is even being considered is because of the unreliability of the B83. I assume you don't frequent this place.

I live along both the B6 & B82. That's the only reason I made mention to this. However, since there is a study for the B82 to head over to gateway that could possibly work. I only frequent the area by car. Not by bus tho.

Never really knew that the B83 is plagued with delays coming off the belt. I do agree with you in regards to the use of the back streets for the B83 to utilize.

I live in Starrett City. I'm by the last stop on the B82, so I see how most travel patterns are in this area. The B83/Belt Pkwy issue is a big factor in the unreliability of the route. I think rerouting the B83 through local streets would be better than a B82 extension to Gateway Mall.

I live along both the B6 & B82. That's the only reason I made mention to this. However, since there is a study for the B82 to head over to gateway that could possibly work. I only frequent the area by car. Not by bus tho.

Never really knew that the B83 is plagued with delays coming off the belt. I do agree with you in regards to the use of the back streets for the B83 to utilize.

I live in Starrett City. I'm by the last stop on the B82, so I see how most travel patterns are in this area. The B83/Belt Pkwy issue is a big factor in the unreliability of the route. I think rerouting the B83 through local streets would be better than a B82 extension to Gateway Mall.

I'm interested to know how exactly you would reroute the B83 to Gateway Mall using the "local roads" instead of the belt?

Toward Gateway Mall, via Pennsylvania Av: Left on Seaview Av, curves north and becomes Van Siclen Av, right on Flatlands Av, right on Vandalia Av, right on Gateway Drive, turn somewhat hard left into bus terminal.

Toward Bway Junction, out of Gateway Mall: right on Gateway Drive (instead of left), left on Vandalia Av, left on Flatlands Av, left on Van Siclen Av, curving right into Seaview Av, right on Pennsylvania Av, and regular.

One stop missed (Erskine and Gateway Mall, off the Belt Parkway), a relocation of the southbound Pennsylvania/Seaview Avs stop would be necessary for that left turn, and no stops extra (the trip would be non-stop from Pennsylvania/Seaview to Gateway Mall).

According to the 2 people from the DOT I was speaking to about the South Brooklyn SBS survey at Kings Highway, this method (which I brought up) was something they were studying, and found that it saved time, and fuel.

Backtrack? Like because it meets up with the route at Van Siclen? Technically no, because the reroute would be non-stop. And the terminal would be in the same place.

The Q8 doesn't terminate at the southeastern end of the mall. It terminates where the B13 and the B83 terminate. The B84 is the only route that terminates at the southeastern end.

Toward Bway Junction, out of Gateway Mall: right on Gateway Drive (instead of left), left on Vandalia Av, left on Flatlands Av, left on Van Siclen Av, curving right into Seaview Av, right on Pennsylvania Av, and regular.

According to the 2 people from the DOT I was speaking to about the South Brooklyn SBS survey at Kings Highway, this method (which I brought up) was something they were studying, and found that it saved time, and fuel.

Rick. That's too much of a loop around. The only thing I would change is the right after flatlands. Regular route by making right on Van Siclen to Bway-East New York. Other than that the route is good tho.

Then you are eliminating people from Starrett City getting onto the B83 to Broadway Junction. The loop-around is bad on paper, but in practice is absolutely fine, and a great way to avoid the Belt Parkway.

Archived