B82 +select bus service+

Kingjunior34

The thing is that on SI, the buses are numbered according to the region they serve, which makes it easier to separate the locals & limiteds. In the other boroughs where it's more of a grid system, it's harder to make that separation.

So it isn't simply designation related? It's tied to something more?

Then it's a singular issue. No other bus agency lumps their local & limited buses in one number. It adds unnecessary checks and verifications that shouldn't be there.

The B41 has two end points and a separation would make total sense. And admit it - riders who take the B41 downtown wind up on the wrong bus at endpoint. Shoppers accidentally wind up on Veterans Av & 70th St, and others wonder why they're at Kings Plaza when they just wanted to connect to the B3.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then it's a singular issue. No other bus agency lumps their local & limited buses in one number. It adds unnecessary checks and verifications that shouldn't be there.

The B41 has two end points and a separation would make total sense. And admit it - riders who take the B41 downtown wind up on the wrong bus at endpoint. Shoppers accidentally wind up on Veterans Av & 70th St, and others wonder why they're at Kings Plaza when they just wanted to connect to the B3.

That's why you read the sign before you board. Those signs are almost (if not over) 5 feet wide, there's a clear indication which one is going to Kings Plz and which one is going to Bergen Beach.

...and you can catch the B3 from Kings Plz, the mall is on the corner of Av U and Flatbush Av.

That's why you read the sign before you board. Those signs are almost (if not over) 5 feet wide, there's a clear indication which one is going to Kings Plz and which one is going to Bergen Beach.

...and you can catch the B3 from Kings Plz, the mall is on the corner of Av U and Flatbush Av.

I know that. I'm the observant one and I wouldn't miss that. Plus with a monthly an error like that would come at no immediate cost.

There are dimmer portions of the population more susceptible.

I thought the B41 was getting SBS in the future

I guess the B103 is far labor intensive & less of a hassle - no installation of TVM's required & no temporary partial street closures :lol:

True, but what he's claiming isn't going on, on the B41...

There's nothing to admit, because what you're saying with that makes no sense - What difference does it make if B41 riders heading downtown, boarded a bus that emanated from Bergen Beach or from Kings Plaza?

B41 riders seeking Kings Plaza most certainly don't board the Bergen Beach bound buses! If that were the case, the Bergen Beach bound buses would garner more utilization than what's currently going on.... The issue is that the utilization of the Bergen Beach bound buses pales in comparison to that of the Kings Plaza bound buses.... Not this mass confusion going on between riders not knowing what bus to get on; you make it sound like B41 riders are stupid or something....

Secondly, any B41 rider needing the B3 isn't taking Bergen Beach bound bus to the last stop to catch the B3.... They're taking the Kings Plaza bound buses & crossing the street to catch the B3 - part of the reason why there's a steady crowd right in front of the vitamin shoppe (av U side) waiting for westbound B3's....

I guess the B103 is far labor intensive & less of a hassle - no installation of TVM's required & no temporary partial street closures [emoji38]

True, but what he's claiming isn't going on, on the B41...

There's nothing to admit, because what you're saying with that makes no sense - What difference does it make if B41 riders heading downtown, boarded a bus that emanated from Bergen Beach or from Kings Plaza?

B41 riders seeking Kings Plaza most certainly don't board the Bergen Beach bound buses! If that were the case, the Bergen Beach bound buses would garner more utilization than what's currently going on.... The issue is that the utilization of the Bergen Beach bound buses pales in comparison to that of the Kings Plaza bound buses.... Not this mass confusion going on between riders not knowing what bus to get on; you make it sound like B41 riders are stupid or something....

Secondly, any B41 rider needing the B3 isn't taking Bergen Beach bound bus to the last stop to catch the B3.... They're taking the Kings Plaza bound buses & crossing the street to catch the B3 - part of the reason why there's a steady crowd right in front of the vitamin shoppe (av U side) waiting for westbound B3's....

You're giving some riders too much credit. I've seen some pretty dense people here in this part of Brooklyn. I ride the B41 a lot and some of them pout like kids because "they didn't know".

On SI, the routes are labeled as follows:

S4X: North Shore

S5X: Cross-Island

S6X: Victory Blvd

S7X: South Shore

S8X: Limited

S9X: Limited

It's not worth changing the numbering system for the other boroughs just to give locals and limiteds separate numbers. What would you call the B6 LTD? B16, B26, B36, and B46 are already taken. How about the B35 LTD? I mean, the big LIMITED sign in the window should be enough. The same way you had the (Q) and <Q> for several years (and still have the (6)<6> and (7)<7>)

On SI, the routes are labeled as follows:

S4X: North Shore

S5X: Cross-Island

S6X: Victory Blvd

S7X: South Shore

S8X: Limited

S9X: Limited

It's not worth changing the numbering system for the other boroughs just to give locals and limiteds separate numbers. What would you call the B6 LTD? B16, B26, B36, and B46 are already taken. How about the B35 LTD? I mean, the big LIMITED sign in the window should be enough. The same way you had the (Q) and <Q> for several years (and still have the (6)<6> and (7)<7>)

I wouldn't go to exact conventions to copy Richmond's designation by locale. That tidbit is news to me.

I suggested it simply to keep locals & limited separate, not to tie it to a location.

The B35 could end at McDonald Avenue as a local, and a B85 could operate limited to Sunset Park.

A B26 could operate local between Downtown Brooklyn & Ridgewood, and a B76 could operate limited a little further to LIC Court Sq Station.

I'm not interested in the location aspect (although THAT is clever and thanks for imparting that![emoji106] ). I mentioned that commerce makes a bus go round. Try terminating at malls more. You'll have nicer places to park and shop yourselves.

Besides, that limited sign is cheesy and prone to glare. And there are residents still dense enough to miss.

Your buses don't even announce their route name when the doors open. Even the crustiest of TOR buses do that. Instead of giving limited its own line, superimpose it on the route name, as seen on the Bee-Line 21;

[White Plains |

Limited Stops]

And I don't know if I asked this, but why do your screens NOT auto redirect once the route is complete? The presspads are the same region wide.

This underutilization of technology is going to be the death of some...

I wouldn't go to exact conventions to copy Richmond's designation by locale. That tidbit is news to me.

I suggested it simply to keep locals & limited separate, not to tie it to a location.

The B35 could end at McDonald Avenue as a local, and a B85 could operate limited to Sunset Park.

A B26 could operate local between Downtown Brooklyn & Ridgewood, and a B76 could operate limited a little further to LIC Court Sq Station.

I'm not interested in the location aspect (although THAT is clever and thanks for imparting that![emoji106] ). I mentioned that commerce makes a bus go round. Try terminating at malls more. You'll have nicer places to park and shop yourselves.

There is already mass confusion when they convert the LIMITED into SBS routes. If you change the route number altogether you'll just cause even more confusion then if you had left the route number alone. 

You're giving some riders too much credit. I've seen some pretty dense people here in this part of Brooklyn. I ride the B41 a lot and some of them pout like kids because "they didn't know".

You're embellishing an occurrence to fit a narrative... That's all I'm going to say about this bit about the B41 & the supposed dumbfoundedness of riders embarking on the differing branches.

Right, but you asked: "So it isn't simply designation related? It's tied to something more?"

He answered that inquiry by laying out the rationale with which the routes are numbered out in SI....

There was no inference on his part regarding you tying anything to a location....

Yes, having bus routes serve heavily commercial areas (and/or a central commercial bldg. like a mall) can spur ridership, but there aren't a bunch of malls to send so many of the city's bus routes to.... Using Brooklyn as an example, there are but so many Kings Plaza's, Gateway's, and Caesar's Bay's......

Completely ignoring the necessity of a B26 LTD, I'm not taking a B26 LTD (you're dubbing as a "B76") to court sq. seriously....

It's not "a little further", it's devoid of reality - and that's putting it nicely.....

Giving the local counterpart & the limited counterpart of the same route separate numbers would be an absolute waste of time... The glaring & more serious issue when it comes to surface transportation in this city is the system-wide declining of usage... The last thing I'm worried about is re-designating the B35 LTD to a "B85" (using your example); as if that's going to have the B35 (core route) pulling in almost 40k riders like it did back in the latter part of the 2000's....

I say to hell with numbering re-designations being such an issue worthy of going into any real discussion - Especially when we have this agency exuding this attitude of bullheadedness when it comes to route alterations - Hiding behind cost neutrality whenever an outside idea is thrown their way.... What's needed, is to modernize a lot of our bus routes....

Besides, that limited sign is cheesy and prone to glare. And there are residents still dense enough to miss.

Your buses don't even announce their route name when the doors open. Even the crustiest of TOR buses do that. Instead of giving limited its own line, superimpose it on the route name, as seen on the Bee-Line 21;

[White Plains |

Limited Stops]

And I don't know if I asked this, but why do your screens NOT auto redirect once the route is complete? The presspads are the same region wide.

This underutilization of technology is going to be the death of some...

We do not have a Clever Device or anything of that sort installed in the buses, so they will not automatically change the sign at the terminal, nor will they automatically talk when the doors open

...you gotta make the bus talk on your own via the SpeakEasy.

There is already mass confusion when they convert the LIMITED into SBS routes. If you change the route number altogether you'll just cause even more confusion then if you had left the route number alone.

Agreed. Immediate change is impregnable in this dense city. Gradually is better.

Instead of appeasing to Vision Zero, car owners and the like to break buses up, consolidate over larger roads. If you split buses, aren't less available as a result?

And if you have a shorter route, doesn't that eat up more gas due to city driving? Buses outside the city line have expressway privileges which is why buses can maintain an average route length of twenty miles. It's not just because we're 60% woodland.

If Briarcliff Manor really wanted to we wouldn't have any speed privileges. They just want the buses to be in place then out of their face.

We do not have a Clever Device or anything of that sort installed in the buses, so they will not automatically change the sign at the terminal, nor will they automatically talk when the doors open

...you gotta make the bus talk on your own via the SpeakEasy.

No wonder. So you're the only agency without one. Shame.

All six agencies at your borders utilize one. Even cruddy TORs.

A lot of businesses have shuttered in Brooklyn due to a lack of foot traffic. I think Bushwick is going to be very disadvantaged when they start working on the proprietary section of the (M).

Better Williamsburg than they.

Agreed. Immediate change is impregnable in this dense city. Gradually is better.

Instead of appeasing to Vision Zero, car owners and the like to break buses up, consolidate over larger roads. If you split buses, aren't less available as a result?

And if you have a shorter route, doesn't that eat up more gas due to city driving? Buses outside the city line have expressway privileges which is why buses can maintain an average route length of twenty miles. It's not just because we're 60% woodland.

If Briarcliff Manor really wanted to we wouldn't have any speed privileges. They just want the buses to be in place then out of their face.

A lot of businesses have shuttered in Brooklyn due to a lack of foot traffic. I think Bushwick is going to be very disadvantaged when they start working on the proprietary section of the (M).

My suggestions are purely theoretical. I understand that there is more involved when it comes to bus route naming in the city than elsewhere.

As for the helpful tidbit about SI, I had no Coue that some numbers other than S8x and S9x had a reason for it. The number sets are location specific.

Most importantly, there are larger issues to tackle. Novelties should come AFTER necessities.

Bushwick will be fine. The B54 follows right under the (M) from Myrtle-Bway to Myrtle-Wyckoff.

We are in the process of getting them installed. With a fleet of damn near 6,000 vehicles, it's not gonna happen overnight.

Bushwick will be fine. The B54 follows right under the (M) from Myrtle-Bway to Myrtle-Wyckoff.

We are in the process of getting them installed. With a fleet of damn near 6,000 vehicles, it's not gonna happen overnight.

Good for them. BTW does the B54 connect somewhere with the Q58? I took a bus from Rego Mall and I saw Metropolitan Avenue (M) station across the street.

Good for them. BTW does the B54 connect somewhere with the Q58? I took a bus from Rego Mall and I saw Metropolitan Avenue (M) station across the street.

-Both the B54 and Q58 connect at their terminal in Ridgewood (Myrtle-Wyckoff)

-The B54 parallels the (M) from Myrtle-Bway to Myrtle-Wyckoff, and the Q58 makes every stop the (M) does from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Fresh Pond Rd

-There will be a shuttle bus as previously mentioned

-Both the B54 and Q58 connect at their terminal in Ridgewood (Myrtle-Wyckoff)

-The B54 parallels the (M) from Myrtle-Bway to Myrtle-Wyckoff, and the Q58 makes every stop the (M) does from Myrtle-Wyckoff to Fresh Pond Rd

-There will be a shuttle bus as previously mentioned

I know. But with time on my hands I have no need for such makeshift options.

I'm not as desperate as the masses. I've lived in areas where the bus is a mile's walk. For a city below sea level there sure are a lot of "walking to the stop" whiners.

It's not like they live(d) in Yonkers.

All with a fleet size of probably the borough of Brooklyn and maybe Queens.

You should know that this agency is starved of cash and some of these projects aren't funded. 

I know. But with time on my hands I have no need for such makeshift options.

I'm not as desperate as the masses. I've lived in areas where the bus is a mile's walk. For a city below sea level there sure are a lot of "walking to the stop" whiners.

It's not like they live(d) in Yonkers.

*facepalm*

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

All with a fleet size of probably the borough of Brooklyn and maybe Queens.

You should know that this agency is starved of cash and some of these projects aren't funded.

Oh I know. This agency is also starved of ingenuity and common sense. But I don't blame that on the bottom, but rather the top.

Having taken the B41 multiple times, the notion that a large portion of ridership is getting on the wrong bus is laughable.

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I agree. These riders are comic relief. Their blunders give me prose and make the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Valley fun to write.

Archived