New York City's MTA issues advisory Pokemon players

Q23 via 108

Not NYC related, but apparently, two people got shot at (by some guy walking outside his place of residence) in Florida while sitting inside of their car.... What this has to do with Pokemon Go other than the fact that the two people happened to be playing it, I honestly don't know....

Story for "proff": http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/16/pokmon-trainers-shot-palm-coast-florida/87207116/

Remember the amount of buzz in a rapid amount of time that ipod's achieved when they first came out..... When people were getting their ipod's stolen (and assaulted on top of it in some cases).... Yep, what's happening with this new Pokemon app is very much reminiscent of that.... What New Flyer's saying isn't too far off base; there were also outcries of banning ipods too - some schools actually went through with the bans!

Call me ancient, but at least I understood the hype surrounding the ipod.... This pokemon app however, I can't put my finger around it.... While I don't know if new episodes are being aired, I know that the TCG (trading card game) is still played competitively , so I doubt it's the nostalgia factor.....

Not NYC related, but apparently, two people got shot at (by some guy walking outside his place of residence) in Florida while sitting inside of their car.... What this has to do with Pokemon Go other than the fact that the two people happened to be playing it, I honestly don't know....

Story for "proff": http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/16/pokmon-trainers-shot-palm-coast-florida/87207116/

Remember the amount of buzz in a rapid amount of time that ipod's achieved when they first came out..... When people were getting their ipod's stolen (and assaulted on top of it in some cases).... Yep, what's happening with this new Pokemon app is very much reminiscent of that.... What New Flyer's saying isn't too far off base; there were also outcries of banning ipods too - some schools actually went through with the bans!

Call me ancient, but at least I understood the hype surrounding the ipod.... This pokemon app however, I can't put my finger around it.... While I don't know if new episodes are being aired, I know that the TCG (trading card game) is still played competitively , so I doubt it's the nostalgia factor.....

People already have quit their jobs to play the game (They had one in the news about it a couple days ago).

The people who grew up with Pokemon are now old enough to have disposable income (but not so old that they need to pay for big-ticket items for their kids like college tuition). Couple that with the fact that this is one of the first Augmented Reality games in existence, and that it's based around a really strong brand built on exploring the world to "catch em' all", and there was really no way this couldn't print money.

It's a dumb app. I haven't played Pokemon since what, my JHS years

Oh. You're one of those...

Anyway, people were inattentive before the app. People are going to continue.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk

Sorry for the double post.

The hype is that fans, like me, have been waiting for something like this for two decades. It's bringing people together and getting people out again. I've never talked to do many new people in my life.

The hype is that fans, like me, have been waiting for something like this for two decades. It's bringing people together and getting people out again. I've never talked to do many new people in my life.

So you're telling me that people need an app to be sociable?? I've never heard of anything more absurd.  This millennial generation scares me.  Socially ackward, eyes glued to their cell phones CONSTANTLY.  Can't do anything without a cell phone.... I never got into Pokémon and never will, and don't understand the whole craze behind it.  With that said, I agree with the poster that said it isn't the app, but rather the people that's the problem.

So you're telling me that people need an app to be sociable?? I've never heard of anything more absurd. This millennial generation scares me. Socially ackward, eyes glued to their cell phones CONSTANTLY. Can't do anything without a cell phone.... I never got into Pokémon and never will, and don't understand the whole craze behind it. With that said, I agree with the poster that said it isn't the app, but rather the people that's the problem.

Dude, chill out. The word is called introverted. I don't need an app to meet new people. I and others that share my personality type prefer to be alone and unless me and someone I meet under similar circumstances, I'm not going to talk to you.

Get off that high horse of yours and start thinking about other people's reasonings from another lens. It's too early to deal with you.

Dude, chill out. The word is called introverted. I don't need an app to meet new people. I and others that share my personality type prefer to be alone and unless me and someone I meet under similar circumstances, I'm not going to talk to you.

Get off that high horse of yours and start thinking about other people's reasonings from another lens. It's too early to deal with you.

There is no high horse.  It's actually sad and disturbing that people can't interact without some app assisting them.  I will agree there are more introverts out there than ever.

There is no high horse. It's actually sad and disturbing that people can't interact without some app assisting them. I will agree there are more introverts out there than ever.

It's not that people can't. It's that it's bring people who otherwise never would have met. That includes people you see everyday on the street walking through your neighborhood. Do you stop to talk to everyone who lives around you? I think the issue here is that you're taking the phrase "bringing people together" a little TOO literally.

It's not that people can't. It's that it's bring people who otherwise never would have met. That includes people you see everyday on the street walking through your neighborhood. Do you stop to talk to everyone who lives around you? I think the issue here is that you're taking the phrase "bringing people together" a little TOO literally.

An app would not make a difference.  The people I speak with or chat with I would regardless of an app.  I find the whole thing silly.   And no I don't think I'm better than anyone else.  It's just that these sorts of apps make more people introverted over time and that alone scares me.

An app would not make a difference.  The people I speak with or chat with I would regardless of an app.  I find the whole thing silly.   And no I don't think I'm better than anyone else.  It's just that these sorts of apps make more people introverted over time and that alone scares me.

This isn't really particularly different, from, say, meeting people at a bowling alley or in a soccer league; the app brings together people with a common interest. It's just a new activity to bring people together. We're not in the South, where everyone says hi to each other on the street even if it's a total stranger.

An app would not make a difference. The people I speak with or chat with I would regardless of an app. I find the whole thing silly. And no I don't think I'm better than anyone else. It's just that these sorts of apps make more people introverted over time and that alone scares me.

Yeah. Mhmm. Because what this game has done is TOTALLY making people more introverted. It's far from silly. But I'll leave it at that. You aren't in our shoes so you'll never understand.

This isn't really particularly different, from, say, meeting people at a bowling alley or in a soccer league; the app brings together people with a common interest. It's just a new activity to bring people together. We're not in the South, where everyone says hi to each other on the street even if it's a total stranger.

My point is that we now live in a society where fewer people can even speak to each other without some app or something else "bringing them together", and that to me is worrisome.  We as people should be able to interact naturally without having to rely on technology.  Trying to excuse the idea that it's okay for people to walk around with the heads buried in their phones with hoards of people around them is equally troubling.

Yeah. Mhmm. Because what this game has done is TOTALLY making people more introverted. It's far from silly. But I'll leave it at that. You aren't in our shoes so you'll never understand.

When this whole Pokémon Go phase is over that's exactly what it will do...

My point is that we now live in a society where fewer people can even speak to each other without some app or something else "bringing them together", and that to me is worrisome. We as people should be able to interact naturally without having to rely on technology. Trying to excuse the idea that it's okay for people to walk around with the heads buried in their phones with hoards of people around them is equally troubling.

I can assure you, it ain't going anywhere with around 800 more Pokemon and other important features to add.

Archived