ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

The application for this position begins December 9, 2016. 

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/appexam.htm

It also says on the bottom of the page to look through their exam archives for previous Notices of Examination for that job. I couldn't find it there, but I found an old one from 2009 here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808098000.pdf

Question to anyone who can advise me:

What EXACTLY do they ask you on the Education and Experience form? Does anyone have a blank sample they might be willing to share? I ask this because I found on another forum that applicants for T/O filled it out seemingly correctly and still got DQ'd: 

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/703253-took-mta-train-operator-exam-got-14.html

Do you need pay stubs? What DO you need? Has anyone been through this before? Does college work sudy count?

Also, what does it mean when they say part-time work experience will be "pro-rated"? What is that?

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What EXACTLY do they ask you on the Education and Experience form? Does anyone have a blank sample they might be willing to share? I ask this because I found on another forum that applicants for T/O filled it out seemingly correctly and still got DQ'd: 

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/703253-took-mta-train-operator-exam-got-14.html

Do you need pay stubs? What DO you need? Has anyone been through this before? Does college work sudy count?

Also, what does it mean when they say part-time work experience will be "pro-rated"? What is that?

First, calm down. The filing period is not for another four [4] months and things can change by then (hopefully not).

I've been through it. On the online education and experience form, they will just ask you for your work history and/or what college you went to. As far as work-study, if you got paid with taxes taken out, then it counts. If you did not get paid, then it does not count. You do not need to provide pay stubs.

As far as "pro-rated", let me explain:

They say you need either 5 years of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week). If you have a part-time job in which you've been working 20 hours per week for 10 years, that will also be acceptable.

Now, the old Notice of Examination does say that a baccalaureate (or a bachelor's degree) can substitute for four [4] years of work experience, in which the candidate would still need one [1] year of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week).

So say for example the candidate has a bachelor's degree and two [2] years of part-time work experience (20 hours per week), that would also be acceptable.

Got it? If not, just post what you specifically do not understand.

First, calm down. The filing period is not for another four [4] months and things can change by then (hopefully not).

I've been through it. On the online education and experience form, they will just ask you for your work history and/or what college you went to. As far as work-study, if you got paid with taxes taken out, then it counts. If you did not get paid, then it does not count. You do not need to provide pay stubs.

As far as "pro-rated", let me explain:

They say you need either 5 years of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week). If you have a part-time job in which you've been working 20 hours per week for 10 years, that will also be acceptable.

Now, the old Notice of Examination does say that a baccalaureate (or a bachelor's degree) can substitute for four [4] years of work experience, in which the candidate would still need one [1] year of full-time work experience (35 to 40 hours per week).

So say for example the candidate has a bachelor's degree and two [2] years of part-time work experience (20 hours per week), that would also be acceptable.

Got it? If not, just post what you specifically do not understand.

Thanks so much for the information. This truly helps out my understanding.

Are they strict on that employment/educational history? Say you have 76 credits, and four years of work-study, but only 1 year of which was paid.That would be about three years, two short of the five. So that would DQ me. But what if I accumulated 120 credits after the exam was given but before I got called up. Could that be acceptable? Or do you need the 120 credits the day you apply for the exam?

Are they strict on that employment/educational history? Say you have 76 credits, and four years of work-study, but only 1 year of which was paid.That would be about three years, two short of the five. So that would DQ me. But what if I accumulated 120 credits after the exam was given but before I got called up. Could that be acceptable? Or do you need the 120 credits the day you apply for the exam?

I would say "yes" based on the huge number of people that are going to apply (and this is only for the Open-Competitive portion). As far as accumulating college credits after the exam, if you look at the old "Notice of Examination," it clearly says that "By the Last Day of the Application Period you must have..." And, from what I remember during my college days, those work-study programs are part-time.

Therefore, I hate to admit it, but I think you're out of luck. Sorry...

I see. Are those requirements always the same every time they test for T/O? I wonder if they would relax them a bit...?

I don't see them relaxing the requirements to get the job. Even since I've came out of schoolcar 3yrs ago they have actually raised the requirements in schoolcar.

yes they are and they WILL terminate you if you lied on the forms and they find out about it later when they get around to checking your information, even if you've been working in that title for years. Edited by Y2Julio

Employment must be paid. That means on the books. So if you got paid off the books, it doesn't count. Remember that when you fill out any paperwork and leave the off the books stuff off.

You can contact the IRS and have them pull your tax returns, or contact Social Security for your wage history and use those if there are things you can't remember in your on the books work history. Good rule of thumb...if your earnings don't show up there, they don't count.

Also in the past school credits have counted...I believe it was 30 credits = 1 year of work experience, up to a maximum of 4 years. So even with a million years of college, you still need 1 year of work experience.

Edited by SubwayGuy

You can contact the IRS and have them pull your tax returns, or contact Social Security for your wage history and use those if there are things you can't remember in your on the books work history. Good rule of thumb...if your earnings don't show up there, they don't count.

If you do go to the local Social Security office, from my experience, they do take personal checks.

Employment must be paid. That means on the books. So if you got paid off the books, it doesn't count. Remember that when you fill out any paperwork and leave the off the books stuff off.

Also in the past school credits have counted...I believe it was 30 credits = 1 year of work experience, up to a maximum of 4 years. So even with a million years of college, you still need 1 year of work experience.

Also one more comment on this. DO NOT WAIT until the filing to request the IRS or SSA to pull your records. There is a turnaround time on this and you'll want the info on hand by the filing date. So if you don't remember everything, get your request into IRS or SSA ASAP.

Wow, UNBELIEVABLE! Ive been waiting for months for this Train Operator exam, now I findout it requires 5 years of work experience?? I dont have 5 years or anything really close to it...does this mean I am offically out the running for this job? If so, anyway around it?

Wow, UNBELIEVABLE! Ive been waiting for months for this Train Operator exam, now I findout it requires 5 years of work experience?? I dont have 5 years or anything really close to it...does this mean I am offically out the running for this job? If so, anyway around it?

These are the requirements from the last open competitive exam:

"HOW TO QUALIFY:

Education and Experience Requirements: By the last day of the Application Period you must have:

1. A four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, approved by a State’s

Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization; and

2. Five years of full-time, paid satisfactory work experience.

College education may be substituted for experience on the following basis: One year of acceptable experience will be credited for each 30 credits completed at an accredited college, up to a maximum of four years. However, all candidates must have at least one year of full-time satisfactory, paid work experience. Part-time paid experience will be pro-rated...

You are responsible for determining whether or not you meet the qualification requirements for this examination prior to submitting your application."

How disappointing. Looks like I wont be qualified. What a disappointment this morning, was really looking forward to taking this test...I did not know it required such qualifications before hand...ugh.

moving on...:'(

Bear in mind those WERE the requirements from the last NOE. It is possible (though unlikely) that they could be changed in the new NOE. You could ask them to relax the requirements.

Bear in mind those WERE the requirements from the last NOE. It is possible (though unlikely) that they could be changed in the new NOE. You could ask them to relax the requirements.

If the requirements for the last Conductor exam became more stringent than previous exams (oral proficiency) what would make you believe that they would bend to a candidates request to change the requirements for an exam that has more responsibility than the conductor because said candidate isn't qualified when they have thousands of other applicants that meet the qualifications currently? 

You shouldn't give out false information/hope. It's not the end of the world if he can't take the new T/O exam, there's plenty of other opportunities to get his foot in the door. That's why it's important not the put all of your eggs in one basket, heck I only got 1 wrong on the proposed answer key for the conductor exam and I'm still going to take other civil service exams because nothing's guaranteed in this life except death.

How disappointing. Looks like I wont be qualified. What a disappointment this morning, was really looking forward to taking this test...I did not know it required such qualifications before hand...ugh.

moving on...:'(

It's not as bad as you think it is. This ain't the type of job you apply for and immediately get hired, it's something you put in you're back pocket but not forget about. After you take the exam, it may take a year or more before the MTA establishes a hiring list. After they figure that out it will likely take another year or more before they even begin calling any candidates. Even if you manage a perfect score you are looking at at least 2-3 years before they call you up. Mind you they still got to get through possibly close to 1000 promotions to T/O before they even get to T/O Exam 7604 and that's going to take some time. TA are still calling candidates from Exam 8098 from 2009 I believe. This new 7604 exam has even been postponed to later dates twice as far as I remember. If you have enough college credits and/or at least 1-2 years of acceptable work experience right now, you should get through. Plus if they call you, you can always postpone it until you have enough work experience. That's how I see the whole thing panning out.

As far as the MTA easing up on qualifications for employment, at least for the foreseeable future, they are more likely to raise the qualifications instead.

if they call you, you can always postpone it until you have enough work experience. .

This was already addressed earlier in this thread. As well as in the NOE. You need those qualifications on the DAY YOU APPLY. Of course, you could petition the MTA to postpone the Education and Experience Test until the day you are called from the list. But they probably won't want to do that because then they would have to sift through too many unqualified candidates at the last minute. I think people should write to the exams unit and ask for them to do what you suggest, to postpone the E&E test until the day one is called from the list.

This was already addressed earlier in this thread. As well as in the NOE. You need those qualifications on the DAY YOU APPLY. Of course, you could petition the MTA to postpone the Education and Experience Test until the day you are called from the list. But they probably won't want to do that because then they would have to sift through too many unqualified candidates at the last minute. I think people should write to the exams unit and ask for them to do what you suggest, to postpone the E&E test until the day one is called from the list.

Yea you're right. I did just notice you need these requirements by the last date of the application period even for other exams. I'm a little late to the park but I recall work experience requisites being required by the last day before being appointed, not by the last day before you apply. This basically means a lot of younger people may not get a shot. It's worth a shot what you suggest but it would take quite a massive effort. If they feel they couldn't get enough applicants for this title then they may ease up on the requirements and possibly issue another exam. I feel that's probably more likely to happen.

Work experience is typically required by the date of the exam OR the end of the filing period for TO exams.

Not "the day you apply".

Not "the date of appointment" (which only historically has applied to C/R's who need a HS diploma by the date of appointment)

Of course, all of this is subject to change. Read the NOE.

As for getting disappointed if you're not eligible, don't stress it. You already missed the Tier 4 boat, and it seems Tier 6 is here to stay, so just wait for the next exam for a title that promotes to an RTO title if you want to work in RTO. That means station agent, bus operator, or conductor when it comes around again since that ship sailed. Take all the exams. It's easier to move around once you work here and can take the promotional and get out of the pool of 25,000+ and into a pool of a few hundred.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Quick question. ..they are going to be hiring off the promotional list first...I heard the promotion list is made up of Bus Operators who take the Train Operator exam..is this true? Also would the 5 year work requirement still stand if taking a promotional?

Currently on Bus Operator 4600 hiring list. ...will be interested taking the promotional next time around if true.

Edited by MTAhopeful1