ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

List number im the 1200s. Went to pre employment today 11/16. Gave us homework to do  a 21 page booklet and some paperwork which a gentleman with a mic helped us fill out. If you have any tickets they will hold your file they have to be paid to continue on with the processing. They made the bus operator candidates there fill out a form of their driver license id number and any violations, the train operators didnt have to fill it out guessing a license isnt needed. A lady came by spoke about the pay 34 to start and top pay is 36. and the different lines you can work on (letter lines vs number lines). She spoke about the hours for trianing and how we would have no seniority and can expect to have mandatory overtime sometime. If you are a city worker your nycers (pension) transfer over. She also warned us the dangers of leaving ur current job if you are on probation and fail out of school car. Then you wait to get called to the front desk a personnel rep meets with you in a office reviews your paperwork, employment and education make sure everything comeplete. Then you head to take your piss test. After that you are done for the day. 

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, TO legacy said:

I’m 66*.  3rd PE was 11/7.   

You just gave me some clarity as I’ve been confused all day. 

Congratulations to all that made the nov 26 class. 

Dec class would be perfectly fine with me. Can anybody in school car explain how you get placed in A or B division please???

My Grandfather and Pop’s are A division, I’ve been a A division buff since birth.  Do you choose or are told what division your in???

i would love to be in the A division, but if put in B I’d smile and say thank you.

just asking  

My induction class was 70, we had 4 B division classes and 3 A division, honestly I was called up maybe halfway through the class and I got the option, everyone always says oh A division is filled by the time you get to the bottom but I think everyone in my induction class picked. We were actually shocked it was more B division classes than A, cause everyone says A is easier but I’m glad I went B because I live in Brooklyn. The material is more but again you’re gonna get it if you put the time in to study! 

34 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

Can someone please help me with the Traffic Coviction Record on page 14 of the homework. How did you guys fill this out? Are there dispositions we can go to the dmv to pick up from prior moving violations? My abstract does not show all the violation I’ve had in the past. 

for traffic violations, you don't need to bring anything. Just be sure to list every moving violation you ever had. Even if it's from a camera, list it. If your abstract has nothing then leave page 14 blank.

for criminal offenses, you have to bring copies of court dispositions or receipts for paying the tickets

in my case i had tickets for open container and panhandling. I had the disposition for the open container ticket and just a payment receipt for the panhandling ticket. The clerk said "it should maybe work" but it worked 100% without even any hold up or delay. But if you want to play it safe, get those disposition letters especially if it's for more serious offenses than mine.

Edited by nipaaaa

7 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

for traffic violations, you don't need to bring anything. Just be sure to list every moving violation you ever had. Even if it's from a camera, list it. If your abstract has nothing then leave page 14 blank.

for criminal offenses, you have to bring copies of court dispositions or receipts for paying the tickets

in my case i had tickets for open container and panhandling. I had the disposition for the open container ticket and just a payment receipt for the panhandling ticket. The clerk said "it should maybe work" but it worked 100% without even any hold up or delay. But if you want to play it safe, get those disposition letters especially if it's for more serious offenses than mine.

Thanks so much brother. Question for the part where it says “dispositions” on the chart to fill out, what should we put there for the traffic convictions? The ending result?

11 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

Thanks so much brother. Question for the part where it says “dispositions” on the chart to fill out, what should we put there for the traffic convictions? The ending result?

Correct. 

Edited by njbk
Misread

4 hours ago, Imhim said:

My induction class was 70, we had 4 B division classes and 3 A division, honestly I was called up maybe halfway through the class and I got the option, everyone always says oh A division is filled by the time you get to the bottom but I think everyone in my induction class picked. We were actually shocked it was more B division classes than A, cause everyone says A is easier but I’m glad I went B because I live in Brooklyn. The material is more but again you’re gonna get it if you put the time in to study! 

Thx for the info. 

I for personal family reasons would want A. 

Buy im from queens, B would be more convenient.  So I’m kinda Neutral

Edited by TO legacy

2 hours ago, Fredman0220 said:

yes, in my case I wrote "guilty" or "dismissed" for some traffic violations.

5 hours ago, Imhim said:

Do more people go for A division or B division?  I know B is harder and more equipment to learn.  I personally always wanted B division.  

8 hours ago, Fredman0220 said:

That Kaka bag is very similar to a regular book bag since it has straps. What makes it much different and acceptable?

The backpack straps can be stowed away and the shoulder strap detached. The bag can be held briefcase style with the side grab handle making it easier when walking the yards or the tracks. You’re supposed to carry your bags by hand and not on your back or even on one shoulder for fear of the straps getting caught on passing equipment and dragging you. If it’s in your hand you can easily let go. Same with the safety vest. They have hook and loop fasteners on the shoulders and waist and meant to easily rip apart if it’s caught in something. Also the safety vest has reflectors shaped like a giant X on the back. So if you’re wearing your backpack on top of your vest it will be covered and train operators will not be tell if you are facing towards or away when approaching.  

In the beginning of school car, I just used an regular backpack and duffel bag (one for equipment and one for books, lunch). I didn’t want to walk around with like 30lbs on my back or in my hands. Most days you will start in the classroom first so you can drop off the bags before walking the tracks. Only a few times I found it inconvenient to carry the backpack by the grab handle when walking the tracks. Once you start yard posting the only book they tell you to carry is the rule book. The others are optional. 

I will eventually need to get a decent size bag to carry my equipment, food/snacks, water bottle and other necessities for the road. 

6 hours ago, Imhim said:

Speaking of studying, I take it you passed your first yd practical? How was it?

5 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

Just to clarify, I had a speeding ticket in Idaho a few years back but it doesn’t show up on my drivers abstract. Since that’s the only moving violation that I have and it doesn’t show up on my abstract I should leave page 14 blank?

4 hours ago, NYCQuietStorm said:

Do more people go for A division or B division?  I know B is harder and more equipment to learn.  I personally always wanted B division.  

Honestly it depends on the induction class. I came in hell bent on going to A division cause everyone was in my ear (ppl who were not MTA lol) about oh the B division is harder and longer, more equipment to learn, etc. Soon as I got in and they mentioned starting in the Bronx or Manhattan a majority of school car (in the beginning you start 7am, 9am for road days) I was like nah I'm good lol. They mentioned it's more potential for OT in the B division and there's a lot more yards located near me, I went B division. I for sure thought I was just gonna be stuck with whatever but again when I got up there to pick, I got the options I got 95 I was number 51x when I was called for provisional. Listen that thing about it being harder isn't true, a train is a train, you learn how to operate one, you can operate them all. Signals, again with the exception of a few, they're pretty much the same in both division. That is your biggest worry is studying the signals and once you seen those enough, lol, they too will become second nature when identifying. 

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Speaking of studying, I take it you passed your first yd practical? How was it?

Yeah my whole class passed. Not gonna lie everyone was stressing over it, man it was so much more smoother and quicker than anticipated! At that point, you either knew the material or you didn't! Was only having a real issue with track components being that we breezed through it and wasn't going over it that much in the beginning. Mid term next week, gotta get that 100 and have a good Thanksgiving lol. 

18 hours ago, nipaaaa said:

Yes once you're hired, there is no reinstating, deferring or anything like that. You'll choose between school or the job.

Once you mail the pre-employment letter with decline appointment checked, you'll be considered "deferred" or off the list. You don't have to do anything else but to call DCAS to put your list number back on. Yes you can also visit them in person to do this. And that's right, DCAS doesn't deal with taking your number off the list, only putting it back in.

Thanks for your help!

7 hours ago, Harryb said:

Just to clarify, I had a speeding ticket in Idaho a few years back but it doesn’t show up on my drivers abstract. Since that’s the only moving violation that I have and it doesn’t show up on my abstract I should leave page 14 blank?

I listed one from out of state just to be safe... they aren't going to disqualify you for a moving violation.. better off listing it in my opinion in case they do find out about it.

4 hours ago, Imhim said:

Honestly it depends on the induction class. I came in hell bent on going to A division cause everyone was in my ear (ppl who were not MTA lol) about oh the B division is harder and longer, more equipment to learn, etc. Soon as I got in and they mentioned starting in the Bronx or Manhattan a majority of school car (in the beginning you start 7am, 9am for road days) I was like nah I'm good lol. They mentioned it's more potential for OT in the B division and there's a lot more yards located near me, I went B division. I for sure thought I was just gonna be stuck with whatever but again when I got up there to pick, I got the options I got 95 I was number 51x when I was called for provisional. Listen that thing about it being harder isn't true, a train is a train, you learn how to operate one, you can operate them all. Signals, again with the exception of a few, they're pretty much the same in both division. That is your biggest worry is studying the signals and once you seen those enough, lol, they too will become second nature when identifying. 

Yeah my whole class passed. Not gonna lie everyone was stressing over it, man it was so much more smoother and quicker than anticipated! At that point, you either knew the material or you didn't! Was only having a real issue with track components being that we breezed through it and wasn't going over it that much in the beginning. Mid term next week, gotta get that 100 and have a good Thanksgiving lol. 

Encouraging to hear. So you did cuts and adds and reading iron and what else? How long did it take?

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Encouraging to hear. So you did cuts and adds and reading iron and what else? How long did it take?

Yeah did all of that. If the dispatchers are cooperative in giving trains up to practice, it helps, if not you’ll be in the classroom or walking the yards.

For those of you in the Nov 26th class. This is just a suggestion. Start reading the first 38 rules in the Rule book. Then read Train Operator and Conductor as you need to be conversant in titles that are similarly engaged in the movement of trains. I will be going around the induction class asking everyone to join a Slack group that I created. It will help with sharing info as pertains to our induction group. I will then make class groups which will help with studying and comparing notes. 

Edited by ALBMTA

1 hour ago, ALBMTA said:

For those of you in the Nov 26th class. This is just a suggestion. Start reading the first 38 rules in the Rule book. Then read Train Operator and Conductor as you need to be conversant in titles that are similarly engaged in the movement of trains. I will be going around the induction class asking everyone to join a Slack group that I created. It will help with sharing info as pertains to our induction group. I will then make class groups which will help with studying and comparing notes. 

Wow wish I was in your class. That will help a lot.

4 hours ago, ALBMTA said:

Me to.  DM me the link to the Slack class please.  

18 hours ago, ALBMTA said:

Whats a Slack class?