ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did mark last 10 as As. Just wish i was quicker with the diagram questions. Will do better on all future exams. Now all hope lies with Conductor eh

Honestly I won't be surprised if this exam goes a lot quicker then conductor exam #6601 simply because they're still calling from the other exam #8094 for at least the rest of this year. where as there isn't any other train operator exam out there besides the promotional one which is also probably coming to a end soon.

I'm sure you beasted and feasted on this exam. I caught so many careless mistakes on my C/R exam after I went over my answers. I would've cried after checking my answers online lol.

Speaking of which, I didn't take this exame but I'm just curious. Did they tell Y'all when the preliminary scores will be released?

When dealing with MTA who knows remember MTA is in control now so there's no telling honestly. Dcas had a system where you can kinda figure it out. So not until after these can you really know figure how they're doing things when it comes to these exams. But so far #6601 still no scores and #8094 is still going strong for at least another 6 months.

I'm sure you beasted and feasted on this exam. I caught so many careless mistakes on my C/R exam after I went over my answers. I would've cried after checking my answers online lol.

Speaking of which, I didn't take this exame but I'm just curious. Did they tell Y'all when the preliminary scores will be released?

Lol yea I tried to!! If you mean the proposed answer key, they'll release that on 7/27 after 3 pm online!! 

Edited by The Saniter

I took it yesterday. And I want to apologize. I was wrong about this test. Its not anything like a personality test. It's actually easier.

Read the passages the answers are all there. You'll understand when you see them. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about it here. But you should have enough time to thoroughly go through all the questions and go back and correct the harder ones.

I actually kinda enjoyed this test lol. I know it sounds stupid but the answers are there.

The lady who gave us the exam was a very nice lady from the mta. And she said about 10 thousand people will be taking this test from may to July. Half of them will fail because of failing the drug test. Half !

Good luck. And don't sweat it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

When i took the first OC Test in 2000 i think there was over 30000 taking it...

Yes having a valid drivers license i think is the main reason why the number isn't as high.

Do not worry the "personality" test comes after they get this list established..

Still got another hurdle.. Or two...

Over here at Midwood High for the 2pm test and they told us to be here about 1 hr prior but I've been here since 1:05...out in the 1000 degree sunny heat...STILL waiting to get in!!! At least offer us some water or something!!! Hopefully no one catches a heat stroke out here!!! S.M.H!! Anybody else taking the test here at Midwood High?!

Just some thoughts on yesterday:

I was there Saniter. Luckily, I do not know about you, but I got a room on the third floor with A/C!  :)  Stood in the heat from about 12:35 until 1:30. Got a nice suntan on my bald head :lol: .

Test did not even start until 3:00PM like the 2:00PM as advertised in the letters. Then they had to sort out the ones that showed up yesterday without letters. Two lines out the gazoo :wacko: . Other people seemed pretty pleasant that I spoke to despite the sweltering heat.

The test itself I found to be not rocket science but not terribly simple either. However, without giving too much away, the diagram questions were the ones that tended to take the most time, and they were smack dab right in the middle of the test booklet. I kept going back and forth, and back and forth on those. I think that I passed. IF I did, it was just barely at that. If I got a 70, and managed to get on the list, I'll take it. There has been some back and forth talk on whether or not a person can get called back with even a 70, but one thing is for sure: You cannot get called unless you get at least a 70. So, that is what I am hoping for. 

When 5:30PM bell rang, one guy in the classroom did not put his pencil down and needless to say, the monitor was none to pleased and gave him hell for it like  :angry:  :angry: ..

All in all, even if I failed it, I am proud of myself. Driving 500 miles RT from MA to take that test is better than not even trying. At worst, even if I failed it, my specialty is bus driving, coach buses, motor coaches, so I plan on taking that one for B/O in October as well as the two other ones that you only need to do the BOSS exam for depending upon your list #. 

Call me a dreamer, but a good quote summed up the experience for me quite simply from some movie with some famous actor:

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great". Touche Mr. Hanks. Touche. 

Edited by JV620

I heard from a friend who works as a Conductor that the MTA is trying to get rid of the tests. They want to make the job promotion based. He also said starting next year the MTA will have alot of retirees from the TO.

O wow!!!

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I heard from a friend who works as a Conductor that the MTA is trying to get rid of the tests. They want to make the job promotion based. He also said starting next year the MTA will have alot of retirees from the TO.

I can believe it but i doubt they will. Simply because there isn't a whole lot of people who goes thru with becoming a T/O. A lot of the forums and treads i've read there is people who get on the promotional list get into the schoolcar and say the hell with this and go back to there position.

Just some thoughts on yesterday:

I was there Saniter. Luckily, I do not know about you, but I got a room on the third floor with A/C!  :)  Stood in the heat from about 12:35 until 1:30. Got a nice suntan on my bald head :lol: .

Test did not even start until 3:00PM like the 2:00PM as advertised in the letters. Then they had to sort out the ones that showed up yesterday without letters. Two lines out the gazoo :wacko: . Other people seemed pretty pleasant that I spoke to despite the sweltering heat.

The test itself I found to be not rocket science but not terribly simple either. However, without giving too much away, the diagram questions were the ones that tended to take the most time, and they were smack dab right in the middle of the test booklet. I kept going back and forth, and back and forth on those. I think that I passed. IF I did, it was just barely at that. If I got a 70, and managed to get on the list, I'll take it. There has been some back and forth talk on whether or not a person can get called back with even a 70, but one thing is for sure: You cannot get called unless you get at least a 70. So, that is what I am hoping for. 

When 5:30PM bell rang, one guy in the classroom did not put his pencil down and needless to say, the monitor was none to pleased and gave him hell for it like  :angry:  :angry: ..

All in all, even if I failed it, I am proud of myself. Driving 500 miles RT from MA to take that test is better than not even trying. At worst, even if I failed it, my specialty is bus driving, coach buses, motor coaches, so I plan on taking that one for B/O in October as well as the two other ones that you only need to do the BOSS exam for depending upon your list #. 

Call me a dreamer, but a good quote summed up the experience for me quite simply from some movie with some famous actor:

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard, is what makes it great". Touche Mr. Hanks. Touche.

Shout out to you for that elaborating post my ninja. I say keep your head up high you never know. Don't sell yourself shout either because as long as you put a answer instead of leaving it blank you got a fghting chance best of luck to you...

I can believe it but i doubt they will. Simply because there isn't a whole lot of people who goes thru with becoming a T/O. A lot of the forums and treads i've read there is people who get on the promotional list get into the schoolcar and say the hell with this and go back to there position.

It's not saying "the hell with this". A lot can't pass the training, and give up before the system would weed them out.

Training is not easy and you have to apply yourself. Apply yourself for a few months and the reward is a career where the checks never bounce, with job security, with good healthcare, and with a pension at the end. Some people can't, or won't do that.

I think you have to a passion and a love for trains in order to pass I'll be the happiest person alive once I become a T/O thats my dream job since I was a kid! The money is great etc... But you will only be happy if you really like trains otherwise in my opinion you may be not as happy or miserable juat my 2 cents. Good luck to all I got my test on June 25th at 830am.

It's not saying "the hell with this". A lot can't pass the training, and give up before the system would weed them out.

Training is not easy and you have to apply yourself. Apply yourself for a few months and the reward is a career where the checks never bounce, with job security, with good healthcare, and with a pension at the end. Some people can't, or won't do that.

I don't see why people wont do that. At the end of the day all anyone wants is a good job which this is. 

I don't see why people wont do that. At the end of the day all anyone wants is a good job which this is.

Honestly some people get comfortable and change is a bit much for them. This one B/O Dispatcher I known for years said to me that he knows people who put they name on the promotional list but don't have any intentions on leaving they position because they're comfortable. They not trying to go thru months of training and being a extra extra when they got it made now. So I ask why they even do it then and he said simply because it's something to talk about amongst each other lmao.

I just read on another thread that people are turning down the position base off not getting the division they want.

Honestly some people get comfortable and change is a bit much for them. This one B/O Dispatcher I known for years said to me that he knows people who put they name on the promotional list but don't have any intentions on leaving they position because they're comfortable. They not trying to go thru months of training and being a extra extra when they got it made now. So I ask why they even do it then and he said simply because it's something to talk about amongst each other lmao.

I just read on another thread that people are turning down the position base off not getting the division they want.

I want to get into B division but if I have to take A division to live my dream then I will. The more people that turn it down the faster the list will move and hopefully this t/o list will be established a little bit faster.

I want to get into B division but if I have to take A division to live my dream then I will. The more people that turn it down the faster the list will move and hopefully this t/o list will be established a little bit faster.

I have that same attitude. YES - B is more desirable but A - B doesn't make a difference it'll work out for the best I truly believe that..

I have that same attitude. YES - B is more desirable but A - B doesn't make a difference it'll work out for the best I truly believe that..

That's the right attitude to have.

What's the difference? Sorry, I'm a noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Division are the number lines 1234567 and Times Square Shuttle.

B Division are the letter lines ABCDEFGJLNQR Z AND the other shuttles.

Well you guys have to take into account your coming from the street so it's either accept wherever they send you and whatever they have you work or not accept the job at all.

While for us, and yes I wholeheartedly agree most do turn it down for the most mundane reasons without even trying the job were already on the inside. One thing you'll learn fast when you get on is different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the obvious differences between A and B (numbers/letters), what is the difference in practice between being in one division vs. the other?

The rolling stock sets them apart aka the different type of rail cars, the A division currently has 5 different rail cars while the B has 10. You have to be trained to that specific division cause these rail cars do not cross divisions ex. an R143 is an B division set and can't platform on a A division station or even fit in the tunnel cause A divison cars and tunnels are more narrow and stations are not as long. They say you get on the road faster for A division then B

For Train operators THE biggest difference between the A and B is the method of train movement. The A has Automated Train Supervision and all gap stations are dispatched from RCC. They know who you are, where you're going, and which signal you just hit at all times. The B is more antiquated and has local towers and gap station dispatchers, so you get passed from area to area. Both have their pros and cons. You can "get away" with more in the B but you also won't have your hand held so have to know your lineups.

Another significant difference is the reporting locations. The A is majority uptown and Bronx jobs, while the B is based mostly in Queens and Brooklyn. The A also has outdoor stretches for every single line, while the B will have you in the tunnels for the majority of your day.

I think you have to a passion and a love for trains in order to pass I'll be the happiest person alive once I become a T/O thats my dream job since I was a kid! The money is great etc... But you will only be happy if you really like trains otherwise in my opinion you may be not as happy or miserable juat my 2 cents. Good luck to all I got my test on June 25th at 830am.

I don't believe that's true. I have no passion and a love for trains as a reason for taking this job. I simply saw it as a good paying job with good medical, vacation, promotional opportunity and retirement benefits for me and my family and surprise it's a job I do well. In order to pass you simply need to understand operational rules, keep up to date with bulletins and use common sense. Other than that I don't want to ride or even be on the subway when I'm off duty.

There has been a few that came on the job with a passion and love for trains alone expecting to make it then reality set in once they see how things are down here. Unfortunately some of them are no longer here. That love and passion wasn't enough to get them through.