ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

I don't believe that's true. I have no passion and a love for trains as a reason for taking this job. I simply saw it as a good paying job with good medical, vacation, promotional opportunity and retirement benefits for me and my family and surprise it's a job I do well. In order to pass you simply need to understand operational rules, keep up to date with bulletins and use common sense. Other than that I don't want to ride or even be on the subway when I'm off duty.

There has been a few that came on the job with a passion and love for trains alone expecting to make it then reality set in once they see how things are down here. Unfortunately some of them are no longer here. That love and passion wasn't enough to get them through.

I personally enjoy taking a train anyway. I would love to get paid for what I love doing. That's just me everybody is different. I understand it can be rough and tough if you don't have strength to deal with reality of it. This is what I want this so I will make it happen no matter what it takes.

I personally enjoy taking a train anyway. I would love to get paid for what I love doing. That's just me everybody is different. I understand it can be rough and tough if you don't have strength to deal with reality of it. This is what I want this so I will make it happen no matter what it takes.

In my eyes this to me is not then a job this is a career because I know I will wake and look forward to going to work.... Rather then me having the feel of ugh another day at work(boring) lol.

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I believe this is the last weekend for test takers for this exam... wanna wish everyone good luck. And remember use every bit of time MTA gives you. Even if you finish with 30 minutes left do yourself a huge favor and go over your answers you never know what you might catch. Good hurting!!!

Since I believe this is the last weekend for test takers for this exam... wanna wish everyone good luck. And remember use every bit of time MTA gives you. Even if you finish with 30 minutes left do yourself a huge favor and go over your answers you never know what you might catch. Good hurting!!!

I will second this. I am a very good test taker and I have very good reading comprehension, finished with plenty of time and went over lots of questions. I found 2 wrong answers on easy/obvious questions that I messed up on because of reading fast or because the answer was slightly tricky (i.e., mixing up AM and PM, the correct time in the answer being something like 7:42 but there being an otherwise entirely correct answer choice with 7:24 instead). It's worth it to double check.

I catch myself slipping up as well confusing the as stated above 742 for 724. I know you Also have to pay attention to the am and pm's as well. I always look if they are asking for am or pm then rule either am or pm then I look both the am(as an example of they went am. Then I look at the times to make sure I got the right now if they want 742 because the 724 could be right but they want the 742 am and 724 am. That's how they get you). I have my test Sunday at midwood at 830am.

I catch myself slipping up as well confusing the as stated above 742 for 724. I know you Also have to pay attention to the am and pm's as well. I always look if they are asking for am or pm then rule either am or pm then I look both the am(as an example of they went am. Then I look at the times to make sure I got the right now if they want 742 because the 724 could be right but they want the 742 am and 724 am. That's how they get you). I have my test Sunday at midwood at 830am.

Absolutely. Simple test taking skills will help with this type of stuff. For example if the question gives you something like 8 A.M., you can go to the answers and cross out probably 1 or 2 choices because they'll have 8 P.M. instead. Or on the questions that ask you to place certain pieces of information in logical order, it's pretty clear which will be first so you can then look to the answer choices and cross out those which don't have at least the right first option and go from there, etc. 

Good luck on the exam.

Edited by njbk

I need some help here guys, I got a speeding ticket today going 74 in a 50mph on the highway... I was clocked... how screwed am I? Will this hurt my chances? Really bummed about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ypresman

I need some help here guys, I got a speeding ticket today going 74 in a 50mph on the highway... I was clocked... how screwed am I? Will this hurt my chances? Really bummed about this

To be honest with you i don't believe your chances are done. It only hurts how quickly you'll get hire. My personal opinion.

Like say they call you in next year 2018 june they most likely gonna put you on hold until after 3 years has pass from when you first got the ticket in 2017 june. So in june of 2020 you'll be able to reinstate your name on the list which hopefully it'll still be in play. Plus you can't have more then 4 points on your license either at time of hire.

So my advice to you is start fresh clean up your license and stay out of trouble starting now. Best of luck to you!

Question about TO salary:

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/pay_rates_by_title_2017-2019.pdf

According to that chart, the hourly wage for TO in Feb 2018 will be $36.25 if on the road. Would this be the starting hourly pay? Thank you.

I don't know.  But for anyone interested, I did some number crunching and Train Operator ranks 16th for highest pay for February 2018.  The first two are "REM II & EEM II @ Woodside" (whatever that is) at $40.39/hr, and Roadcar Inspector at $38.83 /hr.  

I don't know.  But for anyone interested, I did some number crunching and Train Operator ranks 16th for highest pay for February 2018.  The first two are "REM II & EEM II @ Woodside" (whatever that is) at $40.39/hr, and Roadcar Inspector at $38.83 /hr.  

I try not to get myself work up over the pay rates. Means nothing if you can't even get it... smh. I just need MTA to open that door just a little crack is all i'm looking for so I can kick it in and full force!

To be honest with you i don't believe your chances are done. It only hurts how quickly you'll get hire. My personal opinion.

Like say they call you in next year 2018 june they most likely gonna put you on hold until after 3 years has pass from when you first got the ticket in 2017 june. So in june of 2020 you'll be able to reinstate your name on the list which hopefully it'll still be in play. Plus you can't have more then 4 points on your license either at time of hire.

So my advice to you is start fresh clean up your license and stay out of trouble starting now. Best of luck to you!

I see, well I'm going to hire an attorney and fight this thing and try to shave down as many points as I can

Question about TO salary:

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/pay_rates_by_title_2017-2019.pdf

According to that chart, the hourly wage for TO in Feb 2018 will be $36.25 if on the road. Would this be the starting hourly pay? Thank you.

No that's top pay for the road. You'll start @ a reduced yard rate. I'm @ 33 and change but I'm a promotional so I don't know what the intro rate is. You won't see the road rate until near end of training when your road posting.

Just took the exam today and felt great!  Not hard at all, you just have to be extra CAREFUL and read the questions slowly, and just cross out the answers you KNOW that are wrong, and you'll be fine. 

The hardest part now is waiting for the results and when they actually, if they even are, gonna call us back!!

I am, i'm getting ready to head there from medford (big shock :P) for the 2pm test. You're already taking the test so lots of luck Future hope you do well. And lots of luck to anyone taking it later today with me! lol

Good luck, it wasn't a hard test, like everybody said just make sure you what they are asking for correctly. The track diagram there is a process of elimination which I did. Ex. They would have one direction which start with south when the others where all north so I ruled out the south ones. I then read the rest of the north ones and eventually it there would be a wrong way on there so I was down to 2 choices(that worked best for me) even on questions where the what details like the month year and date would be the same but the time would be like 1212 and 1221 and the correct one would be 1221.

Man I just hope they got the AC running for yall when yall get there.... because boy was it blasting star lounge when I was there... good god!

The classroom I was in had no AC

The Train Map questions were a piece of cake.  The Questions regarding putting the details in order or getting the Time's right were the scariest cuz 12:21 looks like 12:12 if you aren't careful!!  Now it got me thinking!  I may have gotten 1-2 of those questions wrong from carelessness.

Now to just wait until the middle of the july to see how many we got right / wrong. Good luck everyone make it happen. Them 100's is what we need but a 95 plus is nice as well. Imma be weak if a 100 puts me in like 2000 for a list number. Lmao

Edited by DrewMania