ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NYKnicksAddict said:

Congrats to those starting tomorrow and to everyone else in the future clssses and those going through the process. Does anyone know if we have to wear the blue pants, grey shirt at orientation or does that start for training?

Yes you have to wear that everyday starting tomorrow until you receive your uniform. Congrats and good luck! 

2 hours ago, NYKnicksAddict said:

Congrats to those starting tomorrow and to everyone else in the future clssses and those going through the process. Does anyone know if we have to wear the blue pants, grey shirt at orientation or does that start for training?

I’m 99% sure they said business casual for orientation. 

But on the paperwork it says blue jeans and grey shirt.  

Anybody else heard business casual when you sworn in????  I really don’t want to be that guy the first day

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

Yard extra.. I'm not sure exactly what it means but I've seen it mentioned a few times. Somebody else can explain it better than I can. 

Yx is yard extra . You belong to the yards for a couple of weeks . About 4 weeks . You do yard moves , put-ins , lay ups , and transfer light trains , for example from the yard to a terminal . You can also be assigned to the stations doing station switching . 

Put ins - make up a train for for service 

light train - train not in customer service 

Lay up - taking a train from the terminal to the yard no longer in customer service .

and stuff like that 

Yard posting is basically “pre yx.” You are assigned all around the division to each yard at least once. Posting is 3 weeks, one week of midnights one week of pm and one week of am. 

After posting is finished you are YX for 2 months. The first week or so is yard familiarization, where you will go to each yard and spend the day with a TSS once again going over the specifics of each yard and common moves.

After this you are on your own. The crew office will assign you as needed. You are on your own and can be asked to do anything any other TO can as long as it doesn’t involve moving the train with passengers on it. You can also ask for overtime and call the crew office to work RDOs if you want. If you make any serious mistakes during YX (split a switch, hit a home signal, etc.) you are held responsible and will probably lose the job. 2 people were fired last month for splitting a switch while YX. 

After YX is the second signal exam, then 2 weeks of road ops. Then road posting. 

On 12/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, MarkGuy said:

If that's the case, why haven't I bern called for a second drug test? Took first one nov 7. I've been told dt is ok for 90.

So speaking from experience.  They say that but if they do not give you a medical appt with in 3-4 days which is how long it usually takes if you are eligible right away to continue the process.  When they call you back in you will be given a 2nd drug test.