ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, rondread445 said:

Hey everyone! I'm relatively new here, I've been reading this thread for months now from the shadows (not in a creepy way 😑) and I kinda feel like I know you guys without even meeting you. I'm number 15** and I'm so excited and blessed to even have a chance to become a TO. Took my first P/E on the 27th and was looking around to see if anyone from this thread was there (like I know how you guys look 😅) I wonder though if they will ever get to my number anytime next year... Congratulations to the new school car students, best of luck and I hope I'll be able to meet up with you guys someday. I'll keep my eye on this thread, shout out to all the OG's keeping us informed and all the future TO's.

Hey! I was there on the same day for P/E, 27th. I'm 14XX.

**Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but everytime I come back here, I have to do "forgot password" and reset to sign back in. I keep putting the same password and it signs me in, but if I sign out or come back later, it doesn't work and I have to start all over. I even tried different passwords with the same issue.

If anyone knows why this is happening or who I can contact, most appreciated.

14 minutes ago, wrong side of tracks said:

Hey! I was there on the same day for P/E, 27th. I'm 14XX.

**Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but everytime I come back here, I have to do "forgot password" and reset to sign back in. I keep putting the same password and it signs me in, but if I sign out or come back later, it doesn't work and I have to start all over. I even tried different passwords with the same issue.

If anyone knows why this is happening or who I can contact, most appreciated.

Hopefully we can get together, and nope never had the issue. Try contacting the moderator "Seven eleven". Click on his picture at the top of the thread next to the "List Status Update".

On 12/16/2018 at 3:04 PM, njbk said:

Yard posting is basically “pre yx.” You are assigned all around the division to each yard at least once. Posting is 3 weeks, one week of midnights one week of pm and one week of am. 

After posting is finished you are YX for 2 months. The first week or so is yard familiarization, where you will go to each yard and spend the day with a TSS once again going over the specifics of each yard and common moves.

After this you are on your own. The crew office will assign you as needed. You are on your own and can be asked to do anything any other TO can as long as it doesn’t involve moving the train with passengers on it. You can also ask for overtime and call the crew office to work RDOs if you want. If you make any serious mistakes during YX (split a switch, hit a home signal, etc.) you are held responsible and will probably lose the job. 2 people were fired last month for splitting a switch while YX. 

After YX is the second signal exam, then 2 weeks of road ops. Then road posting. 

Today in class, TSS Rendon mentioned the 2 people who split the switches. Then I thought about what you posted, should be the same 2 people. What a shame.

16 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Today in class, TSS Rendon mentioned the 2 people who split the switches. Then I thought about what you posted, should be the same 2 people. What a shame.

Yeah that is bad, but I blame them and I see why after having a brief convo with a YX student who seemed to be on some “man I’m gonna do wateva” vibes. Told him to do the Customer Service inspection how they taught us in school car and he has the nerve to say “man in the real world, nobody does half that stuff!” I’m like oh word, aiight I gotta use the bathroom, it was his put in, so I don’t wanna be around if something happens! Those 2 Yx T/Os that split the switch were conductors I heard and only one of them were demoted, the one that actually split the switches, at Coney Island. Ironically they were in the same class together 🤦🏽‍♂️ So they weren’t even supposed to be paired together, but again it’s their fault cause they obviously didn’t do their inspection correctly since one of them missed the overhanging low ball. At least they still have a job! 

1 minute ago, Imhim said:

Yeah that is bad, but I blame them and I see why after having a brief convo with a YX student who seemed to be on some “man I’m gonna do wateva” vibes. Told him to do the Customer Service inspection how they taught us in school car and he has the nerve to say “man in the real world, nobody does half that stuff!” I’m like oh word, aiight I gotta use the bathroom, it was his put in, so I don’t wanna be around if something happens! Those 2 Yx T/Os that split the switch were conductors I heard and only one of them were demoted, the one that actually split the switches, at Coney Island. Ironically they were in the same class together 🤦🏽‍♂️ So they weren’t even supposed to be paired together, but again it’s their fault cause they obviously didn’t do their inspection correctly since one of them missed the overhanging low ball. At least they still have a job! 

The one who moved messed up for sure. Most don’t think the operator on the other end should have been punished but what can you do. 

11 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

I know some folks went in for medicals today, any news to share?

I was there today for medical.  My email said I was being considered for the Jan 28th class.  However, I was put on medical hold when I was there today and saw the doctor.  Depending on how quickly I can get this resolved, I guess I can kiss the Jan 28th class goodbye.

42 minutes ago, rondread445 said:

Hopefully we can get together, and nope never had the issue. Try contacting the moderator "Seven eleven". Click on his picture at the top of the thread next to the "List Status Update".

Posted this below to myself earlier🙄. Still trying to learn this forum format.

No staff accepts messages. 😟

I think we'll be called in by spring latest. Just my mathematical guess if every class has acceptable applications at 💯%

For those of you in the medical/final processing phase, or even if you’re doing PE and will eventually start school car:

I suggest you get used to military time as soon as possible. Let your loved ones know that this will be a lifestyle changing career and that you may not be able to engage with them as you normally would before joining transit.

Edited by Jay-Oh

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

Damn we just missed each other’s classes. Good luck my friend, and you too @TO legacy!

I’m already telling my class now, no man left behind, we’re pushing for 100% success rate.

I think I'm gonna just chill in mine sometime else jumped on it and that's fine by me, I'm probably the tallest whitest guy in the class 😝

7 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

I was there today for medical.  My email said I was being considered for the Jan 28th class.  However, I was put on medical hold when I was there today and saw the doctor.  Depending on how quickly I can get this resolved, I guess I can kiss the Jan 28th class goodbye.

Dang, sorry to hear that. 

1-Did they tell you what was the problem?

I read in previous threads that's some go to their Dr to refute medical holds and get through, so don't worry.

2-What list number are you?

8 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

For those of you in the medical/final processing phase, or even if you’re doing PE and will eventually start school car:

I suggest you get used to military time as soon as possible. Let your loved ones know that this will be a lifestyle changing career and that you may not be able to engage with them as you normally would before joining transit.

Definitely I'm used to this lifestyle, but how did it feel on your first day of school car? Exciting? Nervous wracking? ...so many questions, but I've been reading the " School Car Experience" thread and some people are making it sound scarier than I anticipate.

Edited by rondread445

13 minutes ago, wrong side of tracks said:

Dang, sorry to hear that. 

1-Did they tell you what was the problem?

I read in previous threads that's some go to their Dr to refute medical holds and get through, so don't worry.

2-What list number are you?

List #81X. Yes they told me what the problem was. I just have to get a letter from my doctor. I don’t want to say what it is specifically. I won’t get to see him until Thursday to get the letter (he doesn’t have any openings sooner than that). And I can’t go back to 180 Livingston on Friday because of other obligations. So I’m hoping I can go on Monday. But Monday is Christmas Eve. Does anyone know if they’re open on Monday?

47 minutes ago, njbk said:

The one who moved messed up for sure. Most don’t think the operator on the other end should have been punished but what can you do. 

Yeah I was told the T/O on the other end wasn't punished, but who knows. Learning lesson for all, just know, management is planning on pulling people out of YX and give us another practical/test because of this nonsense! Heard it directly from them at 130! Just be prepared for some random encounter lol, I been hearing a couple T/Os in my induction class been getting horrible evaluations during Yard Posting smh. Gotta stay on the books. 

34 minutes ago, rondread445 said:

Definitely I'm used to this lifestyle, but how did it feel on your first day of school car? Exciting? Nervous wracking? ...so many questions, but I've been reading the " School Car Experience" thread and some people are making it sound scarier than I anticipate.

That’s honestly up to your TSS’. My first day of school car wasn’t too bad, I was pretty excited to get the show on the road, my nerves were minimal because I knew that we wouldn’t working with equipment yet. They will explain the timeline of schoolcar, what to expect, rules and regs, etc. 

The general feel I got from the TSS’ were that they really want you to pass. As per our induction TSS’, they will do everything in their power to help you get everything understood. Of course, until I meet my class instructor and get some time in, I cannot confirm yet.

Just make sure you put in the work, pay attention, and treat this as a once in a lifetime opportunity, because it is.

We had TSS Lois running us through induction and the guy’s a hoot. Funny guy, but makes sure to stress important details. I think I’ll be meeting my class instructor this week.

Here’s hoping we get a good one.

Even if it’s hard to sleep the night before due to excitement, try. Falling asleep in class is a huge no-no. 

Edited by Jay-Oh

10 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

That’s honestly up to your TSS’. My first day of school car wasn’t too bad, I was pretty excited to get the show on the road, my nerves were minimal because I knew that we wouldn’t working with equipment yet. They will explain the timeline of schoolcar, what to expect, rules and regs, etc. 

The general feel I got from the TSS’ were that they really want you to pass. As per our induction TSS’, they will do everything in their power to help you get everything understood. Of course, until I meet my class instructor and get some time in, I cannot confirm yet.

Just make sure you put in the work, pay attention, and treat this as a once in a lifetime opportunity, because it is.

We had TSS Lois running us through induction and the guy’s a hoot. Funny guy, but makes sure to stress important details. I think I’ll be meeting my class instructor this week.

Here’s hoping we get a good one.

Even if it’s hard to sleep the night before due to excitement, try. Falling asleep in class is a huge no-no. 

Thanks, best of luck to you. Keep us posted whenever you get a chance on the " School Car Experience" thread if you'd like. I believe in everyone on this thread 💯, positive attitude turns into positive results. 

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

yeaaa! the front of the train was fouling the fouling point sign so the low home was behind 1 or 2 cars so according to them, they "never saw it". But according to Rendon, if they properly inspected the outside, no way both of them could've missed the low home. Lol knuckleheads did it to themselves. I wish more idiots like these get weed out so people with good work ethic get a chance.

Edited by nipaaaa

1 hour ago, candorgreen said:

List #81X. Yes they told me what the problem was. I just have to get a letter from my doctor. I don’t want to say what it is specifically. I won’t get to see him until Thursday to get the letter (he doesn’t have any openings sooner than that). And I can’t go back to 180 Livingston on Friday because of other obligations. So I’m hoping I can go on Monday. But Monday is Christmas Eve. Does anyone know if they’re open on Monday?

I know I will be placed on med hold due to diabetes and sleep apnea...already using CPAP (just at 2 weeks today), and diabetes is well managed (non-insulin)...is there MTA paperwork for your doctor to fill out or will a general letter from my primary doctor stating that my current treatment regimen will not be a medical factor? Took forever to get a sleep study scheduled or this would’ve been done months ago...

22 minutes ago, Poconodanno said:

I know I will be placed on med hold due to diabetes and sleep apnea...already using CPAP (just at 2 weeks today), and diabetes is well managed (non-insulin)...is there MTA paperwork for your doctor to fill out or will a general letter from my primary doctor stating that my current treatment regimen will not be a medical factor? Took forever to get a sleep study scheduled or this would’ve been done months ago...

Speaking from experience since I was put on hold for my diabetes (Started Class Yesterday)They have their own form for you to fill out. Might be able to call livingston and have it faxed in advanced. But without it they will put you on hold and hand you one personally when you go in for eval. I got mine cleared up within a week. You should be fine if you can get ahold of that paper before your med date.

2 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

Speaking from experience since I was put on hold for my diabetes (Started Class Yesterday)They have their own form for you to fill out. Might be able to call livingston and have it faxed in advanced. But without it they will put you on hold and hand you one personally when you go in for eval. I got mine cleared up within a week. You should be fine if you can get ahold of that paper before your med date.

Thanks for the info...

already talked to my doc ahead of time to have paperwork filled out the day I can bring it to him...just have to go to Scranton, PA to his office to do that so not a quick turnaround.

Hope to run into you guys eventually on the job!

1 hour ago, nipaaaa said:

yeaaa! the front of the train was fouling the fouling point sign so the low home was behind 1 or 2 cars so according to them, they "never saw it". But according to Rendon, if they properly inspected the outside, no way both of them could've missed the low home. Lol knuckleheads did it to themselves. I wish more idiots like these get weed out so people with good work ethic get a chance.

Yeah from the story they decided to split the inspection and the front T/O was the one who missed the low home signal, but that's no excuse, just this morning I had a put in and I told both the trainer and student T/O that I was working with that we are doing the inspection the way school car showed us! Headed out there 45 mins before it was scheduled to leave and got it done! Just stick to your guns and do things the right way and you should be fine. There's no reason to just come out of school car, them stressing these safety things so much and you make a mistake like that!