ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

14 hours ago, Dave2836 said:

The simulator prepares you for the real world application... Atleast the quizzes do.  The "train operation simulator" always frustrates.

Keep studying the books they give you, and believe when they tell you the Signals test is the easiest test you will take.  The hard stuff is on the road when you have to recall what you studied, apply in real life because not all the signals make sense.

Example: you see a 15mile per hour speed limit sign and then a Green R Resume speed sign together at one location.  Which do you adhere to?  Max power or the 15 miles?

Dude, where in the world would you ever see that conflicting situation? Been on the road all over and I have never witnessed that scenario. Is this what they are telling folks in school car now? That conflicting fixed signals will be right next to each other? If so, we’re doomed🤦‍♂️😂

Edited by Gherigfan1

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Gherigfan1 said:

Dude, where in the world would you ever see that conflicting situation? Been on the road all over and I have never witnessed that scenario. Is this what they are telling folks in school car now? That conflicting fixed signals will be right next to each other? If so, we’re doomed🤦‍♂️😂

Where did you get the idea that it is a conflicting signal?? I really hope you're joking?

Example:

R10 sign with a 15mph sign at the same location.

The R10 is telling you that your entire train (10 cars) have clear the switch and you may now resume the allowable speed for the area which is 15mph. Come on.....

If it is just a Green R sign with a 15mph together at the same location like Dave2836 said that is telling you to resume the allowable speed for that area which is 15mph. It is NOT a conflicting signal.

There are quite a few locations like that. So you are saying a 20mph sign with a DGT15 right below it is conflicting????  This is exactly why you must know your signals and which fixed sign applies to you. 

Edited by elantra06

1 hour ago, elantra06 said:

Where did you get the idea that it is a conflicting signal?? I really hope you're joking?

Example:

R10 sign with a 15mph sign at the same location.

The R10 is telling you that your entire train (10 cars) have clear the switch and you may now resume the allowable speed for the area which is 15mph. Come on.....

If it is just a Green R sign with a 15mph together at the same location like Dave2836 said that is telling you to resume the allowable speed for that area which is 15mph. It is NOT a conflicting signal.

There are quite a few locations like that. So you are saying a 20mph sign with a DGT15 right below it is conflicting????  This is exactly why you must know your signals and which fixed sign applies to you. 

Yikes lol I don’t even know why Dave2836 asked what you would adhere? That made no sense but what do I know I just started YX lol

Good afternoon.

I've been quietly reading and following along. Everything cool until now. Ya'll need to relax a little and not put down others or make them feel stupid just because something seems obvious to you. This forum is here to help everyone, from novice to veteran. It's not just here for you and your crew.

Title of this topic is hiring process. The subject lately is off topic and should probably be moved to school car, but not my call.

My point is... Only stupid question is the not asked. You intimidate others by your tone and people will be reluctant to ask. Others may be wondering the same question not asked.

Thank you everyone for your contribution and participation.

All questions are appreciated.

12 minutes ago, wrong side of tracks said:

Good afternoon.

I've been quietly reading and following along. Everything cool until now. Ya'll need to relax a little and not put down others or make them feel stupid just because something seems obvious to you. This forum is here to help everyone, from novice to veteran. It's not just here for you and your crew.

Title of this topic is hiring process. The subject lately is off topic and should probably be moved to school car, but not my call.

My point is... Only stupid question is the not asked. You intimidate others by your tone and people will be reluctant to ask. Others may be wondering the same question not asked.

Thank you everyone for your contribution and participation.

All questions are appreciated.

I agree to an extent. I have always been grateful for all the information given during my waiting process! Which is why I always reciprocate the information in areas I can help. Honestly if you take offense to every little thing, MTA is not for you, because this place requires thick skin. I do feel like the signal questions and other school car questions isn't necessarily for this thread but, if placed here, it isn't wrong  to correct someone who is not providing proper information! 

2 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Yeah that was us.

Was this north or south bound?

South bound, I think ya had a school car train behind ya as well, but conductors if I'm not mistaken. I saw someone at that position pull the window down and point to the board. The first train (your class) was deep in the last car lol. 

13 minutes ago, Imhim said:

South bound, I think ya had a school car train behind ya as well, but conductors if I'm not mistaken. I saw someone at that position pull the window down and point to the board. The first train (your class) was deep in the last car lol. 

Lol that’s weird. I was in the conductors position on the whole way back down, you should’ve seen me. Maybe I was studying with my classmate and didn’t poke my head out of the cab that time.

1 hour ago, Jay-Oh said:

Lol that’s weird. I was in the conductors position on the whole way back down, you should’ve seen me. Maybe I was studying with my classmate and didn’t poke my head out of the cab that time.

lol think I seen you then, so your road was ending in Coney Island? 

16 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Roberto? That guy is awesome

LoL not sure if you are in Jay-Oh's class, but if you are and that's dudes name, yeah he's cool, I have only met him a couple times, but each time he's been very helpful and informative! 

16 minutes ago, Imhim said:

LoL not sure if you are in Jay-Oh's class, but if you are and that's dudes name, yeah he's cool, I have only met him a couple times, but each time he's been very helpful and informative! 

I'm not in Jay-Oh's class but I had Roberto twice as a sub. I'm in TB-07 from the Nov 26 induction.

1 hour ago, nipaaaa said:

Roberto? That guy is awesome

Nah, it’s Rivera.

Roberto is his partner this time around.

Both Roberto and Rivera are awesome dudes. I have Khan and Rendon, both just as good, Khan has a lack of patience though lol.

14 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Nah, it’s Rivera.

Both Roberto and Rivera are awesome dudes. I have Khan and Rendon, both just as good, Khan has a lack of patience though lol.

Oh ok gotcha, yeah I heard that about Khan lmao. He hates for the students to know that he's a new TSS lol. Whenever he's paired with a Vet he get tight if they mention it! 

48 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

I'm not in Jay-Oh's class but I had Roberto twice as a sub. I'm in TB-07 from the Nov 26 induction.

Ok cool, as the days go by it gets easier trust lol. 

48 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Anyone on the job hear anything new about the freeze? 

I haven't heard anything in regards to the freeze, but from speaking to Vets, with the retirement of T/O's and even TSS's this yea , that on top of the shortage of T/O's they had already, they need bodies! So I'm not sure if that freeze really is in regards to RTO. I would stay in touch with 180 Livingston. 

27 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Nah, it’s Rivera.

Rendon is AWESOME, you're in good hands. I also had him as a sub and he was just pouring advice left and right. Also try his elixir, it burns like acid lol

I'm not liking the fact that Khan gets upset over people knowing he's a new TSS. So what man...someone who gets upset over something trivial like that shouldn't be fit for an instructor.

Edited by nipaaaa

6 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Oh ok gotcha, yeah I heard that about Khan lmao. He hates for the students to know that he's a new TSS lol. Whenever he's paired with a Vet he get tight if they mention it! 

Yeah, you can tell he’s a rookie since he’s not as patient, but overall he’s very knowledgeable and a pretty good instructor. The only complaint is that he can be intimidating to the weaker students, which doesn’t help.

2 minutes ago, nipaaaa said:

Rendon is AWESOME, you're in good hands. I also had him as a sub and he was just pouring advice left and right. Also try his elixir, it burns like acid lol

I'm not liking the fact that Khan gets upset over people knowing he's a new TSS. So what man...someone who gets upset over something trivial like that shouldn't be fit for an instructor.

Rendon’s the f**king man.

“It ain’t rocket science.” He’s got everybody in my damn class saying that lol.

I’d rather not try his moonshine/elixir/love potion, though I do admit I’m curious. 

Khan basically told us he was a rookie though. He’s only been with the TA like 5 years and he was a TO for 4 years.

On 1/18/2019 at 2:22 PM, Gherigfan1 said:

B division queens corridor on the Fox.

I was being considered for 1/28 class. I was placed on medical hold, and in the 10 calendar days that it took me to get the hold cleared, the 1/28 class filled up, and there are no classes scheduled after that one for the time being. 

My guess is that since I missed the class due to the hold, I was considered ‘deferred’...and was told to go to the Department of Citywide Administrative Services to put my name back on the eligible list. This had to be done in person...

I’m only speculating that was the reason...being ‘deferred’...never got a straight answer.