ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

On 6/26/2018 at 1:51 PM, RTOMan said:

When TA wants you they want you and they aren't going to give you much notice...

We need TOs in the worst way down here...

In your opinion bro how many T/Os are they looking to hire?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following this thread for a couple weeks. Did my pre employment around May 16th. Got called in for Medical and final paperwork, which I completed June 11th and 12th. After completing my medical I was told they are now following the open and competitive list. They told me I should hear from them in a week and half. When I called week and half later, was told again they are now following the open and competitive list. So I still have a money order for fingerprinting that I may need to cash in before it expires. Still hoping I get called in for the July 9th. My number is 28*.

36 minutes ago, Gisnunnie said:

I've been following this thread for a couple weeks. Did my pre employment around May 16th. Got called in for Medical and final paperwork, which I completed June 11th and 12th. After completing my medical I was told they are now following the open and competitive list. They told me I should hear from them in a week and half. When I called week and half later, was told again they are now following the open and competitive list. So I still have a money order for fingerprinting that I may need to cash in before it expires. Still hoping I get called in for the July 9th. My number is 28*.

Wow, that puts a lot in perspective. Can you keep us updated as to whether you get in the July class?

30 minutes ago, Gisnunnie said:

Were you placed on medical hold by any chance? 

Hopefully they call you soon. I'm still waiting for the medical appointment.

Does anyone know whether going by the open competetive list will slow things down for those yet to be called for medical?

Hey guys, been following this thread for a while. So I have a decision to make. Got hired for the July 9 class for TO a few weeks ago & looks like I’m being considered for the August class for Sanitation. Which job is better? Sanitation or MTA Train Operator? What are the Pros & Cons for each? Who has better pay, benefits & pension? 

This is one of the biggest decisions I have to make in my life & any opinions is greatly appreciated.. Thanks

6 hours ago, QnsLS said:

Hey guys, been following this thread for a while. So I have a decision to make. Got hired for the July 9 class for TO a few weeks ago & looks like I’m being considered for the August class for Sanitation. Which job is better? Sanitation or MTA Train Operator? What are the Pros & Cons for each? Who has better pay, benefits & pension? 

This is one of the biggest decisions I have to make in my life & any opinions is greatly appreciated.. Thanks

If I had to choose, I would go with DSNY over the MTA. You're being hired as a provisional Train Operator, which means you have no job security in the event you're written up on an incident. Your probationary period will not officially start until you are made permanent in your job title of Train Operator. That means you will be a probationary employee longer than the normal period of 1 year. Also, consider the fact that your schedule will be erratic, as you'll be known what's called an "extra extra," which means your fate will reside in where vacancies exist in the subway system. For example, let's say you've chosen to work in B Division—the lettered lines. After you've completed the training program that all rookie T/O's go through, known as "schoolcar," you'll be assigned random jobs starting at different reporting locations. One day you might be covering for a T/O that has called out sick and have to report to Brighton Beach and work the (B). The next day, you're game to be bounced to another part of the system, let's say to work the (W) out of Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard, to cover for a T/O who went on medical that day. So, do consider that you'll be all over the place for a good 2 years, or possibly even more due to the fact you won't even be a permanent employee for awhile. You won't have a stable pick at the lines you'll wish to be operating on for that reason. I don't want to discourage you from pursuing the MTA if being a Train Operator is what you're passionate about, but there's more cons than pros in my opinion, and if you want to have a stable family life, forget it, at least not for a few years until you build up seniority. 

@Algorithmoftruth thanks for the response. I’m not worried about being bounced around the city. I know I’ll be at the bottom and I’ll have to pay my dues. The only thing that sucks with dsny is that it will take me 5.5 yrs to hit top pay, while with TO I’ll be starting out with what dsny makes top pay.

Maybe I’ll just flip a coin and let fate take over lol

7 minutes ago, QnsLS said:

@Algorithmoftruth thanks for the response. I’m not worried about being bounced around the city. I know I’ll be at the bottom and I’ll have to pay my dues. The only thing that sucks with dsny is that it will take me 5.5 yrs to hit top pay, while with TO I’ll be starting out with what dsny makes top pay.

Maybe I’ll just flip a coin and let fate take over lol

We all suffer, just in different ways, but, you have the right attitude. The fact that you're okay with starting from the bottom and working your way up the ranks is one of the best ways of looking at jobs in transit. You're aware of the nature of the job, and still want it, so I say try it out and see how you like it. 

3 minutes ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

We all suffer, just in different ways, but, you have the right attitude. The fact that you're okay with starting from the bottom and working your way up the ranks is one of the best ways of looking at jobs in transit. You're aware of the nature of the job, and still want it, so I say try it out and see how you like it. 

Are you already on the job as TO? Have any ideas in regards to which has better pension & benefits?

11 hours ago, QnsLS said:

What’s you list for sanitation? I scored a 99 and I lost hope cuz my list in 12k.. if you can manage the stress sanitation is the way to go.... good luck and I hope everything works out for u.  

2 hours ago, Dgopes said:

What’s you list for sanitation? I scored a 99 and I lost hope cuz my list in 12k.. if you can manage the stress sanitation is the way to go.... good luck and I hope everything works out for u.  

I scored 103 & list number in low 2000s

At this point in the process, I’m going to assume that those of us that did PE from 5/29 - 5/31 won’t be emailed for medical until approximately the end of July or later.

I’m basing this assumption purely on the information that the highest number called for medical was in the 300’s. So, enjoy your summer ladies and gents. We already waited a year, and some more than that. What’s another few months? We also might be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

At this point in the process, I’m going to assume that those of us that did PE from 5/29 - 5/31 won’t be emailed for medical until approximately the end of July or later.

I’m basing this assumption purely on the information that the highest number called for medical was in the 300’s. So, enjoy your summer ladies and gents. We already waited a year, and some more than that. What’s another few months? We also might be pleasantly surprised.

well, I did my PE on 5/18 and my list # is low 400's, but I haven't been called for the medical yet.

I'm guessing I will be called for the August class but most likely September if they don't call me back for the medical.

It's been 50 days since my PE and we were told to wait up to 90 days to be called in for the medical...

On 6/27/2018 at 11:53 PM, QnsLS said:

Take the sanitation and run. Hands down.

16 minutes ago, Bmpo7 said:

Take the sanitation and run. Hands down.

Lol. Thats what I’m leaning more towards to. Only thing is that I will have to do the TO training for about a month & then have to resign for the Sanitation August class.

2 minutes ago, QnsLS said:

Lol. Thats what I’m leaning more towards to. Only thing is that I will have to do the TO training for about a month & then have to resign for the Sanitation August class.

Why don’t you just decline transit, that way you can still reinstate your name for the next 4 years if sanitation doesn’t work out?