ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

I realize that you cannot give specifics on questions asked and so forth, but can you elaborate on how difficult you thought that the test was given the reading comprehension and so forth? I, myself, am not the best test taker. It's the process of reading it over and then absorbing the information and answering questions on it afterwards. I have trouble because I usually need to re-read it over again.

I highly recommend you and anyone else who may be taking this exam check out this NYPD practice exam to get a feel for the type of questions you'll be asked. Ignore the first 14 questions you won't see anything like that on the T/O exam, but the reading comprehension and written expression parts are a good place to start.

https://cdn-static.findly.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/281/2016/11/TutorialWeek1-updated-11-16.pdf

These civil service exams aren't difficult at all you just have to pay attention to the details and wording in the questions.

Edited by Jchambers2120

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took the test today... the questions can be tricky but if you take your time and not read too much into the question the test isn't bad at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Took test this morning and questions on the test wasn't too bad. 60 straight forward questions. Scenarios and policy and procedure stuff.

Same here. Took test this morning and questions on the test wasn't too bad. 60 straight forward questions. Scenarios and policy and procedure stuff.

It's those damn common sense questions that get me though!  I overthink them and talk myself out of right answers.  Or maybe I just don't have a lot of common sense... :huh:

It's those damn common sense questions that get me though! I overthink them and talk myself out of right answers. Or maybe I just don't have a lot of common sense... :huh:

I agree completely. I as well took the AM exam today. And I will say this. If you read and pace yourself don't rush thru it you'll be fine. Use all available time to go over answers and double check yourself. A few times i had to read over the question and answers. There's this one question that is still bothering me, and I remember it word for word but I wouldn't write it here because I know MTA watches these forums but I wish every one the best moving forward. Good luck to all.

I agree completely. I as well took the AM exam today. And I will say this. If you read and pace yourself don't rush thru it you'll be fine. Use all available time to go over answers and double check yourself. A few times i had to read over the question and answers. There's this one question that is still bothering me, and I remember it word for word but I wouldn't write it here because I know MTA watches these forums but I wish every one the best moving forward. Good luck to all.

My test date is in the afternoon of Sunday June 11 at 2:00P at Midwood. But, I am coming all the way from MA, so I think I will just hotel-it the night before the test and do some last minute studying. 

60 questions, huh? And straightforward as Future ENY OP stated. How much time do they give you anyways to complete the test? That has been the overwhelming message: To utilize all of the time given. I will do just that. Do you think that it might help to skim over the answers briefly BEFORE the actual question to make it easier or does that even matter? 

Scenarios and Policy procedure is the word that the questions are based on. The NYPD police officer word expressions on the practice tutorial I looked at (according to Jchambers2120) I got a few wrong in practice https://cdn-static.f...dated-11-16.pdf

Oh well. 

Edited by JV620

My test date is in the afternoon of Sunday June 11 at 2:00P at Midwood. But, I am coming all the way from MA, so I think I will just hotel-it the night before the test and do some last minute studying.

60 questions, huh? And straightforward as Future ENY OP stated. How much time do they give you anyways to complete the test? That has been the overwhelming message: To utilize all of the time given. I will do just that. Do you think that it might help to skim over the answers briefly BEFORE the actual question to make it easier or does that even matter?

Scenarios and Policy procedure is the word that the questions are based on. The NYPD police officer word expressions on the practice tutorial I looked at (according to Jchambers2120) I got a few wrong in practice https://cdn-static.f...dated-11-16.pdf

Oh well.

Time limit. 2hrs 30 min. However, as all others have said. Use your time wisely. Review your work. Check your answers and go over missed questions. To everyone taking the test this month and next. GOOD LUCK and hope to see u all soon.

Edited by Future ENY OP

I took it yesterday. And I want to apologize. I was wrong about this test. Its not anything like a personality test. It's actually easier.

Read the passages the answers are all there. You'll understand when you see them. I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about it here. But you should have enough time to thoroughly go through all the questions and go back and correct the harder ones.

I actually kinda enjoyed this test lol. I know it sounds stupid but the answers are there.

The lady who gave us the exam was a very nice lady from the mta. And she said about 10 thousand people will be taking this test from may to July. Half of them will fail because of failing the drug test. Half !

Good luck. And don't sweat it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The lady who gave us the exam was a very nice lady from the mta. And she said about 10 thousand people will be taking this test from may to July. Half of them will fail because of failing the drug test. Half !

Good luck. And don't sweat it.

Only 10K that's it. Man that sounds kinda light. Especially since they lower the standards on applying for the job. I feel like it'll be a a good 30k. And i feel like that'll be only half. Lmao.

Only 10K that's it. Man that sounds kinda light. Especially since they lower the standards on applying for the job. I feel like it'll be a a good 30k. And i feel like that'll be only half. Lmao.

Well she's approximating from the last test. And also this test requires a drivers license and its a big requirement to have a drivers license.

Train operator is a great position. And it's something I've been interested in doing. BUT I'm more focused on bus operator for now. The pay is fantastic as a train operator but its not a joke. It's for serious people.

And in the other threads there's stories where supervisors will tell you upfront if you're train operator material. And the biggest thing is paying attention. If you're not paying attention it will be a big big problem. Even small things can be big things.

Well she's approximating from the last test. And also this test requires a drivers license and its a big requirement to have a drivers license.

Train operator is a great position. And it's something I've been interested in doing. BUT I'm more focused on bus operator for now. The pay is fantastic as a train operator but its not a joke. It's for serious people.

And in the other threads there's stories where supervisors will tell you upfront if you're train operator material. And the biggest thing is paying attention. If you're not paying attention it will be a big big problem. Even small things can be big things.

That's why every job opportunity that comes out this year my name is on. After it all!  

Thank you guys! I took the exam on Sunday. Comprehension intense! Read carefully. Choose keywords. No landmarks though but a few train map questions as in track merges and crossovers in the yard. Find the best routes from the picture provided.

Thank you guys! I took the exam on Sunday. Comprehension intense! Read carefully. Choose keywords. No landmarks though but a few train map questions as in track merges and crossovers in the yard. Find the best routes from the picture provided.

Uh Oh!  :o  Did you say comprehension intense? Lol  :unsure:  :unsure:  Choose keywords? I know that you cannot say what actual questions were, and I do not expect that. Can you elaborate on choose keywords though somehow? Lol 

I am trying to get ready for 6/11. We all only have 1 shot at this test. Biggest test of our lives. I am already overthinking it LOL  :lol:  :D

Yeah i remember the yard questions. Those was simple as long as you read the questions and follow the diagram carefully. The answers would all look the same except for keywords that change everything. Man I hope we all get a 100 and give mta a hard task at figuring how they gonna hire us all.

Uh Oh! :o Did you say comprehension intense? Lol :unsure::unsure: Choose keywords? I know that you cannot say what actual questions were, and I do not expect that. Can you elaborate on choose keywords though somehow? Lol

I am trying to get ready for 6/11. We all only have 1 shot at this test. Biggest test of our lives. I am already overthinking it LOL :lol::D

Don't over think it. Your gonna think yourself out of the exam and you haven't even taken it yet. If you can read a manual or instruction on how to do or put something together then trust me this is very similar. If you need to work on Reading comprehension skills they have pently of practices quizes online you can take for free but believe me when i say as long as you take your time use all the time available to you then you'll do great.

Uh Oh! :o Did you say comprehension intense? Lol :unsure::unsure: Choose keywords? I know that you cannot say what actual questions were, and I do not expect that. Can you elaborate on choose keywords though somehow? Lol

I am trying to get ready for 6/11. We all only have 1 shot at this test. Biggest test of our lives. I am already overthinking it LOL :lol::D

The bigger test is trying to keep your driver license clean of moving violations.

• 2 weeks later...

The track diagram questions were toward the end of the exam for me.  I advise that you make pencil marks next to wrong answers so you don't get confused when flipping pages back and forth to view the diagram and the following questions.  Good luck to the rest of you all!

The track diagram questions were toward the end of the exam for me.  I advise that you make pencil marks next to wrong answers so you don't get confused when flipping pages back and forth to view the diagram and the following questions.  Good luck to the rest of you all!

I second that. The way they did that was by far the most ignoring thing ever. I'm sure there some deep hidden meaning as to why they did it or then again probably not. but yeah once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple.

How does everyone who took the exam already, think they Did? I took mine on the 4th. And the track diagram was the most annoying part. Lol

I think I did alright. By the time you do 4 or 5 questions you'll realize that all the answers are there. Its just making sure you pick the right answer. Make sure you read the time and the dates and how and what order certain questions ask you to answer.

The diagram I did the first question and realized it takes too long so I went back for it in the end.

Anybody has any guess how long the list will take to be established? I see that the 2009 test didn't get an established list til 3 years later. Is that normal?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

It's almost impossible to give a good guesstimate with the way the exams are ran now. The MTA handles their own exam process now and they've been doing some things that warrant a head scratch. For example conductor exam 6601 was given last year and they've extended and returned to hiring from the previous open competitive test (given almost 10 years ago) AFTER they've exhausted from their promotional exam. Normally with dcas after they finish the promo it's onto the next open competitive. It's very possible that they may do the same thing with the train operator exam. (unfortunately)

Patience is the name of the game, I hope that helps.

It's almost impossible to give a good guesstimate with the way the exams are ran now. The MTA handles their own exam process now and they've been doing some things that warrant a head scratch. For example conductor exam 6601 was given last year and they've extended and returned to hiring from the previous open competitive test (given almost 10 years ago) AFTER they've exhausted from their promotional exam. Normally with dcas after they finish the promo it's onto the next open competitive. It's very possible that they may do the same thing with the train operator exam. (unfortunately)

Patience is the name of the game, I hope that helps.

That's disheartening lol but thanks

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk