ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

1 hour ago, LIRRMedford said:

Got sworn in today for December 17th class! List #59x any one currently in school car can tell me specifics to study in this huge rule book? I have almost a month to get in some serious studying

Just enjoy your life until you start. You’ll have plenty of time for studying and learn everything you need to know in schoolcar. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mrhands0me said:

I just checked my abstract which was 7 dollars, nothing is on my abstract so I’m good to go, but thanks for the help 

Just because it’s not on your abstract doesn’t mean you should omit information. I got a speeding ticket in PA and doesn’t show up on my abstract, but showed up in my background investigations, but I was ok because I reported the violation. 

7 hours ago, Productions27 said:

Just because it’s not on your abstract doesn’t mean you should omit information. I got a speeding ticket in PA and doesn’t show up on my abstract, but showed up in my background investigations, but I was ok because I reported the violation. 

Not that I’m trying to omit any info, it’s just that I don’t remember how far back the ticket was, I thought it was 2012 but apparently it wasn’t. Coulda been even further then that. That’s why I paid for the abstract. But there was nothing on that, maybe gotta find others means of finding that out.

14 minutes ago, Mrhands0me said:

Not that I’m trying to omit any info, it’s just that I don’t remember how far back the ticket was, I thought it was 2012 but apparently it wasn’t. Coulda been even further then that. That’s why I paid for the abstract. But there was nothing on that, maybe gotta find others means of finding that out.

This is my issue as well. Every driving ticket or violation I’ve received does not show on my abstract. I was wondering if I can go to the dmv and maybe they can print my out my lifetime record. On the 21 page homework it does state if you can’t remember your exact offenses to make sure you state that in the extra page they give you for additional comments.

On 11/23/2018 at 11:56 AM, Joseph Barrios said:

@LIRRMedford what list number are you and when did you go in for the initial pre screening/drug test if you dont mind me asking? I just want to know what my chances are looking like. Happy Turkey day btw.

Hey guys I'm back, hope all enjoyed your thanksgiving. And yes I said I was thankful for getting this job :P. Now to answer your question Joseph

List 59x

First PE- 5/31-Got Letter-Provisional
Second PE-9/6-Got Email-Provisional

First Medical 9/12-Got Email-Put on hold for diabetes-Provisional

Cleared Hold-9/18 Deferred the Sept 24th class-Provisional

Third PE 11/6-Received Letter after List was Officially Established-Permanent

Second Medical 11/21-Got Email-Permanent-Appointed/Accepted

On 11/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, LIRRMedford said:

Got sworn in today for December 17th class! List #59x any one currently in school car can tell me specifics to study in this huge rule book? I have almost a month to get in some serious studying

Congrats!!! You could honestly just read chapter 1 of the rule book, that's what your first quiz will be on. Honestly everything else will be school car stuff and you're gonna have time to get used to that. If you want, you can read the track components chapter in the induction manual (unit 4), it has a few pictures as well in there to get you familiar with them. (Unit 2 has definitions/terminology as well) Once you get out there it might be a bit of help, along with your LIRR knowledge depending on what position you held with them. Again congratulations and welcome!! 

49 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Congrats!!! You could honestly just read chapter 1 of the rule book, that's what your first quiz will be on. Honestly everything else will be school car stuff and you're gonna have time to get used to that. If you want, you can read the track components chapter in the induction manual (unit 4), it has a few pictures as well in there to get you familiar with them. (Unit 2 has definitions/terminology as well) Once you get out there it might be a bit of help, along with your LIRR knowledge depending on what position you held with them. Again congratulations and welcome!! 

I have no knowledge as I have never been employed with any MTA agency. LIRRMedford is just my home station :P

On 11/21/2018 at 3:12 PM, LIRRMedford said:

Chapter 1 all 38 rules.

Particularly rule 30.

All of Chapter 2.  This is your life from now on.  Read this chapter every day.

Focus on 2.40m and 2.40n (this is part of your signals test)

Chapter 3.  This is your signals test.  Know your fouling point, stop sign, shop door clearance.

Chapter 9

Pay close attention to 9.02b.

Edited by Dave2836

Great blog, read every post from page 1, this is my first post.

List # - low 3xx

Received first PE letter mid-May but deferred.

Received second PE letter end of October to report 11/2 for the 11/26 class.

Completed PE and received email a few days later for the medical on 11/9.

Reported for the medical and was put on medical hold - very disappointing.

Came back on 11/16 with copies of required medical tests and a letter from my doctor and was removed from medical hold.

Was hired for the 12/17 class as the 11/26 class had filled up.

A couple of observations for those folks who will eventually go through this hiring process:

1.  The 5th floor at 180 Livingston appears very chaotic - there are dozens of people there for a variety of reasons. But there is method to the madness.  It works but requires a lot of patience on our part.  I got in at 7:00 the first day and got out around 5:30.

2.  The process is incredibly paper intensive - a complete lack of automation except for a couple of computerized medical questionnaires.  You're writing a lot of the same info over and over repeatedly.  Its just the way it is.  

3.  Don't wait for your PE letter (like I did) to get your required documents in order.  Have your drivers license, social security card, high school diploma or transcript, and birth certificate or passport ready to go.  Make sure nothing is expired and don't bring copies because they won't accept them.

4.  If you do go on medical hold, try and get it resolved quickly.  I was told to return as soon as possible because they will not hold your place in the class, just like they didn't hold mine.

One last thing, for what its worth - I was told by an HR person on the 5th floor that they call 200 people to fill 40 spots in a Train Operator class.  This is probably because, as mentioned by others, people reject the offer, can't get the required documents straightened out, fail the drug test or can't pass the medical.  For those of you with higher list numbers, my feeling is you will eventually be called probably sooner than you think, as long as the TA has need and budget.

14 minutes ago, Frazzles said:

List # - low 3xx

Came back on 11/16 with copies of required medical tests and a letter from my doctor and was removed from medical hold.

A couple of observations for those folks who will eventually go through this hiring process:

1.  The 5th floor at 180 Livingston appears very chaotic - there are dozens of people there for a variety of reasons. But there is method to the madness.  It works but requires a lot of patience on our part.  I got in at 7:00 the first day and got out around 5:30.

2.  The process is incredibly paper intensive - a complete lack of automation except for a couple of computerized medical questionnaires.  You're writing a lot of the same info over and over repeatedly.  Its just the way it is.  

3.  Don't wait for your PE letter (like I did) to get your required documents in order.  Have your drivers license, social security card, high school diploma or transcript, and birth certificate or passport ready to go.  Make sure nothing is expired and don't bring copies because they won't accept them.

4.  If you do go on medical hold, try and get it resolved quickly.  I was told to return as soon as possible because they will not hold your place in the class, just like they didn't hold mine.

One last thing, for what its worth - I was told by an HR person on the 5th floor that they call 200 people to fill 40 spots in a Train Operator class.  This is probably because, as mentioned by others, people reject the offer, can't get the required documents straightened out, fail the drug test or can't pass the medical.  For those of you with higher list numbers, my feeling is you will eventually be called probably sooner than you think, as long as the TA has need and budget.

I would just like to add one thing to this, make sure your social security card isn't damaged! I almost got sent home because of that but the Spanish dude that seems to run the show as far as pe was cool enough to let me slide but made me swear I would go replace it right away. I have my original and 2 of the letters in my name were scratched off. I went to Montague street and replaced it right away and already got my new one in the mail. So for those of you who haven't even received the pe letter yet, just make sure to get your documents in order starting now! 

12 hours ago, Frazzles said:

List # - low 3xx

Thanks for all the feedback this really does help, what exactly do they do at medical? Do you do some type of physical?