ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will ask about any further classes on Monday. I know I will be placed on medical hold anyway due to diabetes and sleep apnea with CPAP usage...so I may not make it into Jan 28th...earliest I can clear hold is Jan 9th after follow up sleep Dr. appointment that I have scheduled already.

2 hours ago, acabral136 said:

I wonder if anyone else called before has been considered for the January 28 class? Maybe they are just starting to fill it. If so I may have a chance to get in there but if not, whatever class is next is my turn! Can't wait. 

I’m 74* and I’m in the January 28th class. Did my medical on 12/4. 

Edited by Djx

3 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

In the mid 800s for meds, huh? A s/a told me that a tss told him there will be a March class. Could i be a lock for that with an 111x list number, if what he says is true?

I’m list number 109x. Mathematically speaking, we’ll be in there around April, latesttttt May, considering DQs and medical holds. 

9 hours ago, Imhim said:

Where the Novemebr T/Os at??? How’s it going so far, liking it, disliking it??? Last week of yard posting for me then YX! 

Congrats man. I'm straight terrified. Not sure I can cite all the signals verbatim. Cutting and adding seems complicated. Granted I just started on the 17th. But I can't seem to retain alot of it...

9 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

Congrats man. I'm straight terrified. Not sure I can cite all the signals verbatim. Cutting and adding seems complicated. Granted I just started on the 17th. But I can't seem to retain alot of it...

Don't give up! I've heard that the info is overwhelming at first, but it all clicks together when you least expect it.

9 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

Nah gotta think positive, the signals will come with time! Cutting and adding also you will get better doing it with practice! Cutting you’re just splitting cars, adding your combining them. 

1 minute ago, Imhim said:

Nah gotta think positive, the signals will come with time! Cutting and adding also you will get better doing it with practice! Cutting you’re just splitting cars, adding your combining them. 

I know that but the procedure is nuts step by step and my yard practical 2 months away. I wish there was an outside source or a video or something. Cause having to wait for everyone to do a cut and add I'm not gonna get much practice

3 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

I know that but the procedure is nuts step by step and my yard practical 2 months away. I wish there was an outside source or a video or something. Cause having to wait for everyone to do a cut and add I'm not gonna get much practice

It’s overwhelming for sure man. Make sure you’re communicating with your class on a daily/nightly basis. That mutual support goes a long way.

Every night when I get home, I type out EVERYTHING we learned for that day as far as procedures and protocol without a book to test myself and my classmates will correct me where I’m wrong.

For cuts and adds, remember the importance of testing your pilot valves before engaging/disengaging your handbrakes. Write down a check list of what you need to inspect before each step.

Also; Who are your TSS’?

Edited by Jay-Oh

13 hours ago, Imhim said:

Where the Novemebr T/Os at??? How’s it going so far, liking it, disliking it??? Last week of yard posting for me then YX! 

My class is loving it. We each took a turn operating between several stations on the E line yesterday. It was exhilarating, but I had a death grip on the brake handle because of all the grade time and station time signs I saw.

Overall, it’s been amazing and very informative.

4 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

My class is loving it. We each took a turn operating between several stations on the E line yesterday. It was exhilarating, but I had a death grip on the brake handle because of all the grade time and station time signs I saw.

Overall, it’s been amazing and very informative.

Reading this makes me feel super impatient. But glad you're enjoying it!

8 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

It’s overwhelming for sure man. Make sure you’re communicating with your class on a daily/nightly basis. That mutual support goes a long way.

Every night when I get home, I type out EVERYTHING we learned for that day as far as procedures and protocol without a book to test myself and my classmates will correct me where I’m wrong.

For cuts and adds, remember the importance of testing your pilot valves before engaging/disengaging your handbrakes. Write down a check list of what you need to inspect before each step.

Also; Who are your TSS’?

Oliver and Daughtry. Daughtry was a teacher for conductors, this is his first T/O class...

Had my medical today, and placed on medical hold (as expected). Nothing disqualifying, just need my Docs to fill out the paperwork later this week. I did ask about further classes after 1/28 and was told nothing ‘officially’ scheduled as of yet...still keeping my fingers crossed I’ll make it back to get in for the end of the month.

55 minutes ago, LIRRMedford said:

Also my class doesn't seem to do group study...we aren't a together class...to numbers and everything but noone really communicates with each other except our 2 promotionals..

Ah man...that sucks dude. Our TSS’ told us that class cohesion and communication really helps.

If you have to, try to communicate along with the two promotionals you have. If the other ones want to go solo, that’s on them, but since it’s your job, do whatever you can to get yourself on the ball.

3 brains working together are better than 1, especially if all 3 have a common goal.

2 hours ago, Poconodanno said:

Had my medical today, and placed on medical hold (as expected). Nothing disqualifying, just need my Docs to fill out the paperwork later this week. I did ask about further classes after 1/28 and was told nothing ‘officially’ scheduled as of yet...still keeping my fingers crossed I’ll make it back to get in for the end of the month.

Did they tell you if the Jan 28th class is full?

5 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Reading this makes me feel super impatient. But glad you're enjoying it!

Yeah dude, your time will come. I’m fortunate enough to have a class full of supportive people who are a blast to learn with. The days fly by because we’re hungry for the knowledge. Before I know it, it’s 15:00 and it’s time to go home, and we’re still trying to squeeze some knowledge out of our TSS’.

7 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

Also my class doesn't seem to do group study...we aren't a together class...to numbers and everything but noone really communicates with each other except our 2 promotionals..

That sucks. 

I’m  in Ta71 and we make sure we all pass. It’s like family. 

We did break test and cuts last week and I love getting that train rolling and controlling it. 

First road day is Wednesday and can’t f**king wait to run down the line.  

Greatest job on the planet. 

Good look to all going through the process, it’s WELL WORTH IT. 

Edited by TO legacy