ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Gherigfan1 said:

👋 I am a train operator, I’m pretty well versed in who’s in charge of what. That being said,  that bulletin wasn’t directed at RTO. If you read it, it explains essential positions are exempt. RTO IS ESSENTIAL 🤦‍♂️. My point, 🤷‍♂️. Just saying there’s no freeze for RTO. There will be classes and you will be called. Relax, it’s all coming around. I’m only on here to watch for my wife’s cousin being called and possibly give some insight. I’m just gonna watch from this point on. Y’all seem to have it under control 🤦‍♂️. Good luck😉

Exactly, people went nuts when they found out about the hiring freeze. I read through the entire 17 billion dollar budget approval letter and it clear says there will be a freeze on "Non-essential" staff citing custodial positions etc.. Train operator, Bus operator and other positions directly interacting with the public are excluded from the freeze.

Edited by rondread445

3 hours ago, BigCountry said:

Personally.......... IMO I think this is happening because of the directive handed down by Fernando Ferrer, the Acting Chair of MTA to streamline budget..........but, this time they are extending it to the Safety Sensitive Operations part also........

If you guys want to see that directive, go back a few pages and click the link.......... 

2 hours ago, Gherigfan1 said:

👋 I am a train operator, I’m pretty well versed in who’s in charge of what. That being said,  that bulletin wasn’t directed at RTO. If you read it, it explains essential positions are exempt. RTO IS ESSENTIAL 🤦‍♂️. My point, 🤷‍♂️. Just saying there’s no freeze for RTO. There will be classes and you will be called. Relax, it’s all coming around. I’m only on here to watch for my wife’s cousin being called and possibly give some insight. I’m just gonna watch from this point on. Y’all seem to have it under control 🤦‍♂️. Good luck😉

Gherigfan1, I'm very familiar with your name and have nothing but gratitude towards you. You've been contributing way back since the schoolcar experience thread and maybe even before that..... You made it on to payroll and still stuck around to help those that are trying to make it on....unlike so many others who left after they got in..... So a Very Big Thank You to You......

Like I said earlier, that's just my opinion about that directive .........and while Lhota did seem to do well on paper.....he was never going to stick around and see things through, not while chairing 2 other jobs as well. Ferrer looks like he wants the job and to take the "acting" out of his title and controlling budgets will always make a big impact and impression to the even higher ups.... I forgot to include the word essential to safety sensitive, but I think we're both on the same page of who we were talking about and maybe to even extend that directive to them. I'm with you and everyone else on this forum and hope they keep on hiring, but I'm trying to look at the big picture of why or if they put a freeze on...... right now there are over 5 classes in the pipeline of T/O schoolcar and that's not including the 2 classes in January, Now, we don't know how many will make the final cut, but we're still looking at around 200-300 fresh brand new T/O's hitting the rails soon........maybe because of that they can pull a freeze for a quarter or so......and then there is the OT they can give out that transit workers love gobbling up........

I just returned from 180 Livingston.  The January 28th class is full.  There haven't been any more classes planned at this time.  I was put on medical hold for the third time.  Apparently, the MTA would rather hire people with criminal backgrounds than someone with a medical condition that is easily and completely treatable with medication.  I'm starting to think this just isn't the employer for me.  

16 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

I just returned from 180 Livingston.  The January 28th class is full.  There haven't been any more classes planned at this time.  I was put on medical hold for the third time.  Apparently, the MTA would rather hire people with criminal backgrounds than someone with a medical condition that is easily and completely treatable with medication.  I'm starting to think this just isn't the employer for me.  

That sucks man. What do they want from you now? I assume u already got paperwork signed by your doctor. 

The “outside doctor” they sent me to hadn’t returned one of the forms he needed to. He sent most of them but there was one missing. So now I have to call 180 Livingston in 7-10 days again to see if he sent it in. 

I suppose there’s no rush since there are no further classes planned. 

1 hour ago, candorgreen said:

The “outside doctor” they sent me to hadn’t returned one of the forms he needed to. He sent most of them but there was one missing. So now I have to call 180 Livingston in 7-10 days again to see if he sent it in. 

I suppose there’s no rush since there are no further classes planned. 

Is it mandatory to use their assigned doctors? Or would any physician suffice?

2 hours ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

Is it mandatory to use their assigned doctors? Or would any physician suffice?

First, they had me go to my personal doctor and have him write a letter. Then the MTA doctor decided that wasn’t good enough so she sent me to their outside doctor. I didn’t have a choice who it was at that point. The MTA doctor just circled the name of another doctor from a pre-printed list she had and asked the medical intake people in the waiting area make an appointment for me. 

I don’t know if it’s standard procedure or not. But I get the very distinct impression the MTA doctor really doesn’t want me to get through the medical portion. 

7 hours ago, candorgreen said:

Definitely not the employer for you. It sounds like you're salty and already hating on people. 

Does anyone know if we will be issued our ID’s and employee transit passes during orientation, or on the first day of school car training? Also, roughly, how long is orientation? I’m assuming it will drag on to 4pm, but has any previous classes been let go early on the first day. I have a very serious personal matter that day and I don’t want to ask for permission to leave early on the first day with the fear that I might be remembered as that guy. Any assistance or advise would be very much appreciated.

52 minutes ago, fokisondis said:

Does anyone know if we will be issued our ID’s and employee transit passes during orientation, or on the first day of school car training? Also, roughly, how long is orientation? I’m assuming it will drag on to 4pm, but has any previous classes been let go early on the first day. I have a very serious personal matter that day and I don’t want to ask for permission to leave early on the first day with the fear that I might be remembered as that guy. Any assistance or advise would be very much appreciated.

You get your pass the first day of school car. And you have to stay 8 hours no exception. Even if they have nothing for you they will hold you for the 8 hours.

11 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

You get your pass the first day of school car. And you have to stay 8 hours no exception. Even if they have nothing for you they will hold you for the 8 hours.

Man, this is bad news. I have a court date scheduled for that same day for a civil (non-criminal) case. Was wondering if they'd let me get out early to attend the hearing. Guess not. 

1 hour ago, SlevinKelevra said:

Man, this is bad news. I have a court date scheduled for that same day for a civil (non-criminal) case. Was wondering if they'd let me get out early to attend the hearing. Guess not. 

Call the school, or someone at 180 Livingston to try and work it out. We had someone in my class that didn’t attend a day of induction because he had a prior engagement.

57 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

Call the school, or someone at 180 Livingston to try and work it out. We had someone in my class that didn’t attend a day of induction because he had a prior engagement.

I don’t think they can legally prevent you from attending a court ordered appearance. Def call 180. 

1 hour ago, njbk said:

I don’t think they can legally prevent you from attending a court ordered appearance. Def call 180. 

I called HR and spoke to a young lady and the moment I mentioned court the tone changed. Man I waited years for this job. I hope they don't fire me before I even start. That would be such a letdown. 

3 hours ago, fokisondis said:

I called HR and spoke to a young lady and the moment I mentioned court the tone changed. Man I waited years for this job. I hope they don't fire me before I even start. That would be such a letdown. 

I wouldn’t worry about that. Most likely they will give you the day off, worst case they may make you defer until the next class. 

I've been following this forum since day one trying to absorb all questions and answers. This forum is very helpful and very informative. Thanks to all those that take the time out to respond. I have a few questions myself regarding the signal test. I see alot of people excited about getting in past medical as if once your sworn in your in indefinitely. I know that's not the case.

I know there are practicals and exams and other ways to get disqualified, but in my opinion, I feel the signal test is the do or die part of this whole process. Thats the only thing that gets me nervous. From what I hear you have to pass with 100%. My question is for those that have taken the test and passed, in reality, how hard is it? How many questions are there really on the exam?

I've read and heard there are 100 signals to be memorized, but 15 questions on the exam, is this true? I'm very curious. I know once one gets into school car they'll get a definitive answer and the materials needed to study. I probably won't be getting in until fall or winter of this year "hopefully". I did my PE in Nov. At the speed the list is going, I know for a fact I will have to go back for two or maybe three more drug tests. It's all good though! Patience is the key!

Thanks in advance!

3 hours ago, TraxNyC said:

I've been following this forum since day one trying to absorb all questions and answers. This forum is very helpful and very informative. Thanks to all those that take the time out to respond. I have a few questions myself regarding the signal test. I see alot of people excited about getting in past medical as if once your sworn in your in indefinitely. I know that's not the case.

I know there are practicals and exams and other ways to get disqualified, but in my opinion, I feel the signal test is the do or die part of this whole process. Thats the only thing that gets me nervous. From what I hear you have to pass with 100%. My question is for those that have taken the test and passed, in reality, how hard is it? How many questions are there really on the exam?

I've read and heard there are 100 signals to be memorized, but 15 questions on the exam, is this true? I'm very curious. I know once one gets into school car they'll get a definitive answer and the materials needed to study. I probably won't be getting in until fall or winter of this year "hopefully". I did my PE in Nov. At the speed the list is going, I know for a fact I will have to go back for two or maybe three more drug tests. It's all good though! Patience is the key!

Thanks in advance!

Once you get sworn in, the job is yours! As is any other job, you have probation. School car, exams, practicals, that’s on you! You don’t have to be a train buff to get this stuff! If you put in the time and this is what you want, it will come to you! I’m YX now and I have seen some T/Os down here like how is this person a T/O smh, but again it’s on you to put in the work and study! You will be taking daily quizzes, mostly on stuff learned the previous day, depending on your TSS. Those don’t count, they’re just given so the TSS’s can evaluate how you are retaining information! The ones that do count, again depending on your TSS, you will know when they’re coming and study extra! The official signal exams yes you have to get a 100%. On the multiple choice it’s on you, on the essays, you might be able to talk your way out of getting something wrong! Yes there are a lot of signals but honestly they become repetitive and very similar, you will learn to identify and group the similar ones together! When you get in, you will probably run into myself lol or other T/Os who will give you studying matieral lol! Just be humble and ask questions, there are lots of ppl down here willing to help! 

9 minutes ago, Imhim said:

Once you get sworn in, the job is yours! As is any other job, you have probation. School car, exams, practicals, that’s on you! You don’t have to be a train buff to get this stuff! If you put in the time and this is what you want, it will come to you! I’m YX now and I have seen some T/Os down here like how is this person a T/O smh, but again it’s on you to put in the work and study! You will be taking daily quizzes, mostly on stuff learned the previous day, depending on your TSS. Those don’t count, they’re just given so the TSS’s can evaluate how you are retaining information! The ones that do count, again depending on your TSS, you will know when they’re coming and study extra! The official signal exams yes you have to get a 100%. On the multiple choice it’s on you, on the essays, you might be able to talk your way out of getting something wrong! Yes there are a lot of signals but honestly they become repetitive and very similar, you will learn to identify and group the similar ones together! When you get in, you will probably run into myself lol or other T/Os who will give you studying matieral lol! Just be humble and ask questions, there are lots of ppl down here willing to help! 

Thanks for the info and quick reply. I'm ready to soak up info and put in that work. I've noticed there are a lot of cool people on this forum that actually want to help those of us either starting or waiting. Very humbling. Just waiting my turn patiently. Popping in from time to time to see what list number they're up to. Lol

Hello,

Just wanted to share my story.

I got called in 3 times for pre employment 6/7 9/13 11/14

Then surprisingly got called for medical on dec 13 and to my surprise, I was sworn in that day due to start jan 28. 

I have a tiny question if anyone can help about Attire to wear before uniforms.

I just received my free boots and I have blue dickies (no leg pockets) 

Now for shirt it says grey “with collar”

Am i to assume that as long as it has a collar im fine? Or should it be a full button down shirt ( I was going to wear a grey polo collar shirt but it only has 3 buttons) 

Lol I hope y’all don’t judge 

3 minutes ago, Booquies said:

Hello,

Then surprisingly got called for medical on dec 13 and to my surprise, I was sworn in that day due to start jan 28. 

Am i to assume that as long as it has a collar im fine? Or should it be a full button down shirt ( I was going to wear a grey polo collar shirt but it only has 3 buttons) 

Whats your list number? 

3 minutes ago, Booquies said:

Hello,

Get a button down! There are a lot anal TSS’s and they will come at you about the uniform! I personally saw a TSS tell someone in my induction class to get a button down and not to wear their polo anymore! They even complain about the winter coat, must be black or navy blue and indistinguishable from MTA uniform.