ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

9 hours ago, Poconodanno said:

I was being considered for 1/28 class. I was placed on medical hold, and in the 10 calendar days that it took me to get the hold cleared, the 1/28 class filled up, and there are no classes scheduled after that one for the time being. 

My guess is that since I missed the class due to the hold, I was considered ‘deferred’...and was told to go to the Department of Citywide Administrative Services to put my name back on the eligible list. This had to be done in person...

I’m only speculating that was the reason...being ‘deferred’...never got a straight answer.

The same exact thing happened to me. I was also considered for the Jan 28 class and was put on medical hold. I’m still on medical hold though. 

Did you get back on the list?  What did you have to do exactly?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 2:54 PM, elantra06 said:

Where did you get the idea that it is a conflicting signal?? I really hope you're joking?

Example:

R10 sign with a 15mph sign at the same location.

The R10 is telling you that your entire train (10 cars) have clear the switch and you may now resume the allowable speed for the area which is 15mph. Come on.....

If it is just a Green R sign with a 15mph together at the same location like Dave2836 said that is telling you to resume the allowable speed for that area which is 15mph. It is NOT a conflicting signal.

There are quite a few locations like that. So you are saying a 20mph sign with a DGT15 right below it is conflicting????  This is exactly why you must know your signals and which fixed sign applies to you. 

So where are those green resumes and 15mph signs? Got lines and station markers, or even round about locations? I’ve never seen a green resume with a speed sign yet. Been here 6 years and not once. I love to continue learning. Do you still work down here? I looked through the last seniority list and couldn’t find your name. Remember that list was restablished in 2015. I’m friends with a couple guys from the 1st class of the 8098 exam as well. I came in Jan of 13

Edited by Gherigfan1

I had a question, when I went in for processing they us a form asking if we ever failed a drug test. I put no but I did fail, they way the guy explained the question when he was helping us fill out the forms was very different than what was asked on the form. Should I go back and tell them I failed? 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:13 AM, Poconodanno said:

Hold was cleared...then had to go to DCAS in person...1 Centre St, 21st floor and fill out a form, can only be done in person

My medical hold was finally cleared today. The woman at window 3 (180 Livingston) said they weren’t hiring train operators. I asked if they would be in the future and she said she didn’t know. 

I also have to go to DCAS to be put back on the list but the woman said I needed to wait until the end of the month. I asked her why and she said that’s what DCAS told her to tell us. She didn’t have any further information about it when I pressed her. 

Aftet all this, I’m greatly disappointed that they’re not hiring TOs. Let’s hope they change their mind soon. 

15 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

My medical hold was finally cleared today. The woman at window 3 (180 Livingston) said they weren’t hiring train operators. I asked if they would be in the future and she said she didn’t know. 

I also have to go to DCAS to be put back on the list but the woman said I needed to wait until the end of the month. I asked her why and she said that’s what DCAS told her to tell us. She didn’t have any further information about it when I pressed her. 

Aftet all this, I’m greatly disappointed that they’re not hiring TOs. Let’s hope they change their mind soon. 

Very dissapointing... 

4 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

I assume they’ve hired enough people for now. I guess they’ll start calling people again when more TOs retire. 

I got a feeling it’s about the issues going on in the news lately. Whole funding/fare hike business. Maybe by month end after the next meeting we’ll get a clearer picture.

2 hours ago, candorgreen said:

Everyone seems to have forgot quickly what was previously discussed on this board. It was mentioned by my than one person recently that there will not be any classes in February and possibly this quarter for that matter. I don’t know why this is a surprise to anyone. MTA will hire according to their needs. The majority of the candidates who were hired in November-December went in for their first PE’s in early summer of summer 18’ and it took them around 6 months to get sworn in. Can’t express more than enough how much patience is required for all of us right now. They would not have called up to, or close to, 2000 on the list to only hire close to half. They have a plan in place and we just have to be patient; as simple as that. I’m just as antsy as any of you guys/gals to get in, but that more you stress, the longer the wait will feel. It’s been 2 months since my first PE and for me it felt like the time went by very fast because I’m trying not to think and stress over it. PATIENCE everyone, PATIENCE!!!

5 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

Everyone seems to have forgot quickly what was previously discussed on this board. It was mentioned by my than one person recently that there will not be any classes in February and possibly this quarter for that matter. I don’t know why this is a surprise to anyone. MTA will hire according to their needs. The majority of the candidates who were hired in November-December went in for their first PE’s in early summer of summer 18’ and it took them around 6 months to get sworn in. Can’t express more than enough how much patience is required for all of us right now. They would not have called up to, or close to, 2000 on the list to only hire close to half. They have a plan in place and we just have to be patient; as simple as that. I’m just as antsy as any of you guys/gals to get in, but that more you stress, the longer the wait will feel. It’s been 2 months since my first PE and for me it felt like the time went by very fast because I’m trying not to think and stress over it. PATIENCE everyone, PATIENCE!!!

You are 100 percent right. It's just tough for those of us who are so close! If I had a higher number and wasn't even close yet I wouldn't stress it, but if there was a february class I would very likely be in it so that fact is killing me lol. Instead, my drug test expires and I will have to go back down for another p/e, using more leave time that I don't have much of. 

But u are right, we just have to be patient. 

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

You are 100 percent right. It's just tough for those of us who are so close! If I had a higher number and wasn't even close yet I wouldn't stress it, but if there was a february class I would very likely be in it so that fact is killing me lol. Instead, my drug test expires and I will have to go back down for another p/e, using more leave time that I don't have much of. 

But u are right, we just have to be patient. 

Exactly this. I was supposed to be in the Jan 28th class but it took just a little too long to get off of medical hold. Bad timing, bad luck, inefficient doctors: call it what you will. It’s aggravating to be so close and then have the rug pulled out from underneath you.  

I’ve taken so much time off to jump through all their hoops that it’s become problematic at my current job. 

Yes, we have to be patient. But there’s no getting around the fact that we don’t know for sure that there will be another class, or at least another class any time soon. It was easier being patient when they had a new class roughly every month. Now we don’t know. 

You can argue that they wouldn’t have called so many people if they didn’t intend to hire us. But they called in all those people back when it seemed certain there would be more classes after January. I remember reports of there being a March and April class.

The decision makers at the MTA change their mind on a dime though, or so I was told by the woman at window 3. That is what happened here. They changed their mind. So who knows what is going to happen. You can be patient, but for what?  

13 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

Exactly this. I was supposed to be in the Jan 28th class but it took just a little too long to get off of medical hold. Bad timing, bad luck, inefficient doctors: call it what you will. It’s aggravating to be so close and then have the rug pulled out from underneath you.  

I’ve taken so much time off to jump through all their hoops that it’s become problematic at my current job. 

Yes, we have to be patient. But there’s no getting around the fact that we don’t know for sure that there will be another class, or at least another class any time soon. It was easier being patient when they had a new class roughly every month. Now we don’t know. 

You can argue that they wouldn’t have called so many people if they didn’t intend to hire us. But they called in all those people back when it seemed certain there would be more classes after January. I remember reports of there being a March and April class.

The decision makers at the MTA change their mind on a dime though, or so I was told by the woman at window 3. That is what happened here. They changed their mind. So who knows what is going to happen. You can be patient, but for what?  

I understand your frustration. As to your question, being patient and for what? I believe that’s our only choice lol literally!!! If you want the job, that’s all we can do is wait and be patient.

54 minutes ago, candorgreen said:

Lol bro you can either be patient have faith and hope for the best or simply just forget that you were ever in the process. Complaining is not going to change the circumstances or make the mta change their mind... I’m list number 7xx I should of been in but had to defer for January but it so happen that the class was already full trust me I would love to begin next month but at this point all I can do is patiently wait. Patiently wait for what ?  For them to start calling again which hopefully will be in 3 months like Ms Vargas stated 

10 minutes ago, JoseL1992 said:

Lol bro you can either be patient have faith and hope for the best or simply just forget that you were ever in the process. Complaining is not going to change the circumstances or make the mta change their mind... I’m list number 7xx I should of been in but had to defer for January but it so happen that the class was already full trust me I would love to begin next month but at this point all I can do is patiently wait. Patiently wait for what ?  For them to start calling again which hopefully will be in 3 months like Ms Vargas stated 

When did Ms Vargas say that they’d start hiring again in three months?

1 hour ago, candorgreen said:

Yeah your best bet is to be patient! Not sure if this is your first MTA year, but they normally take 4/5+ years to call ppl back! We were really lucky to hear back from them so quick! I for one thought I was gonna be in the first class, did my drug test, all that, then BOOM, nothing! I just stayed in here hoping and praying for that call or email. You can’t do anything, this is how they operate, I hated my job at the time and I was being looked at weird cause the days I was taking off, but I knew it was gonna pay off so I just said f it. Again this isn’t a sprint, patience is key, as someone mentioned on here before you need a lot of that working down here! It’s coming just gotta wait and I’m glad you still got your job, others are not so lucky. 

Sorry to hear about not being hired. I know it's frustrating...and I feel for you all. I def do, at a time when I was struggling to make ends meet...this job saved me. I just want everyone to know to just stick it out. You never know, MTA might have another hiring blitz in the second quarter depending on how many people fail/drop out of the current classes so far. 

Sept ??
Nov 26 (me)
Dec 17
Jan 7
Jan 28

That's 60 people per induction class x 5 = 300 people. Usually about 25% are gone at the end. So they will try to fill those extra holes on top of the quarterly quota. 

There will definitely be more classes throughout the year. Just keep doing what you're doing, pay those bills, struggle, and your patience will be rewarded in the end.

16 hours ago, Fredman0220 said:

Well said. I guess they wouldn't have called us (first PE'rs) if they weren't gonna use all of us. Patience is key. Thanks for the good words. 

56 minutes ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

For those who completed school car how bad are the fail rates for a TO? I ask because I’ve taken the LIRR conductor exam before and the fail rate is ridiculous, didn’t want to psych myself out.

It’s not that bad, you just have to put in the time, trust if you’re not retaining the information at all the TSS’s will definitely pick that up, they will address you whether it be one on one or during group activities! I seen it first hand! Again if this is what you want you will get it done, I can’t imagine them investing all this paid training, uniforms just to try and fail you! 

1 hour ago, MTAHopeful813 said:

For those who completed school car how bad are the fail rates for a TO? I ask because I’ve taken the LIRR conductor exam before and the fail rate is ridiculous, didn’t want to psych myself out.

Haven’t completed yet, but I’m about to take my first practical next week. It’s all about how much time and effort you invest into the process. I’ve been going maximum effort the whole time and nothing in particular is too hard to grasp. The TSS’ *want* you to pass. It makes them look good if you do well. 

My class has lost 2 people so far; one who was freaking out during orientation, and a second one that got IOD. Good thing is, the second one will most definitely end up in one of your classes later on. Look for the guy who seems to know everything up to the first practical already, that’ll be him lol.