ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh... 5 wrong... I know I shouldn't, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself.

That makes both of us my ninja. But this the time to wait for the actaully list to be establish and go from there you never know what can happen from here until then. 5 wrong can turn into 3 wrong very quickly i've seen it happen.

Best of luck to everyone. Even those who didn't pass. Reason why you should never put all your eggs in one basket. Everything MTA related that you qualify for you should have applied to. 6 chances to get in the door is better then 1 or 2 for that matter....

Congrats to all that passed....the answers that I marked as being least confident in I actually got right & was surprised to see others wrong.

In the end I scored a 95 (3 wrong) & plan to embrace the waiting game.

GL everyone!

Same here. I marked 4 down because I wasn't sure and got all 4 of those right, but i got 4 others wrong for a score of 93.3.

It's for the best anyway. I would like my daughter to get a little older before I start working midnight shifts and miss time with her. Right now she's only 1 but by the time I get called she might be in school and more understanding of why daddy is always working.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Edited by acabral136

That makes both of us my ninja. But this the time to wait for the actaully list to be establish and go from there you never know what can happen from here until then. 5 wrong can turn into 3 wrong very quickly i've seen it happen.

Best of luck to everyone. Even those who didn't pass. Reason why you should never put all your eggs in one basket. Everything MTA related that you qualify for you should have applied to. 6 chances to get in the door is better then 1 or 2 for that matter....

Forgot to actually type with the above post -_-

Oh I'm actually on another transit list where I'm about 300 more candidates away. So I know I'm close. Just like you said, did put my eggs in one basket.

I'm always like this with test though. Kick myself if I could've done better type stuff.

Congrats to everyone who passed though!

Same here. I marked 4 down because I wasn't sure and got all 4 of those right, but i got 4 others wrong for a score of 93.3.

It's for the best anyway. I would like my daughter to get a little older before I start working midnight shifts and miss time with her. Right now she's only 1 but by the time I get called she might be in school and more understanding of why daddy is always working.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I found it a little odd, but hey. It's definitely meant to be, that goes without saying.

I have two toddlers & my current schedule is ideal for the entire family.

Like yourself, I'm doing today what is best for the long term.

Cheers!

No need to fret from any of you guys. You've all passed and that's all that matters. You'll will at least get called for pre-employment at least. Even a passing score of the highest grade doesn't guarantee you'll be hired. Just a DrewMania pointed out don't put all your eggs in one basket. Apply to everything you qualify for. Even if it's not TA. At one point I had my name on seven different list for NYC exams. And even after I was hired with TA I continued to take civil service exams, just to always keep my options open.

Station Supervisor

Hi all. Congrats to everyone who passed.

I didn't get any wrong, scoring 100%. A few questions:

1. Can answers be changed during the protest period, or will they just add an additional correct answer?

2. Any loose idea of a timeframe for a call?

Thank you and congrats to everyone again!

1. Can answers be changed during the protest period, or will they just add an additional correct answer?

Wow congrats man! You should be in one of the first classes when they start calling. Now for your questions.

1. If a question is successfully protested they'll either throw out the completely or there will be multiple correct answers. You have nothing to worry about in that regard. They aren't going to make a question wrong after it was one of the correct answers.

2. It's going to be hard to give an estimated timeframe. Ever since the MTA started administering their own exams they have been extremely slow with grading and publishing the scores. I took the last conductor exam in May '16 and I still haven't gotten an official word as to when I will recieve an official score/list number. Be prepared to wait at minimum a year to relieve your official scores. Patience is the name of the game but like I said when the time comes you should be in one for the first call ups. Congrats again!

As was previously mentioned ever since TA took over their own exams they've been extremely slow with he grading and list publication process. When DCAS was administering the exams you'd get a list number and grade within 6-8 months. If I had to give it a time frame I'd say expect at least 1 and half years before being called.

Station Supervisor

But also for everyone whom took this exam or the Conductor's exam, the reason it takes a while before you hear anything from TA is, they also administer promotional exams for both titles as well. And they list, grade, and hire from the promotional exam before they even bother with the open and competitive exams. It'll usually take up to two years before they've went through the promotional exams. Once they've went through those lists they'll start on the O/C exams.

Station Supervisor

But also for everyone whom took this exam or the Conductor's exam, the reason it takes a while before you hear anything from TA is, they also administer promotional exams for both titles as well. And they list, grade, and hire from the promotional exam before they even bother with the open and competitive exams. It'll usually take up to two years before they've went through the promotional exams. Once they've went through those lists they'll start on the O/C exams.

Station Supervisor

Will, you have a point but it seems like they've changed that up as well since they've began handling their own process. When the last promotion to conductor exam was officially established they extended the last O/C exam 8094 the same day until Feb '18 and pasued hiring from the O/C exam until they exhausted the promo list and then they resumed hiring from the O/C. So really it's anyone's guess at this point. I honestly wish they were more transparent in a timely manner.

The bottom line is like you said the people who just took this test have atleast a year and a half wait before they can expect to hear anything.

Will, you have a point but it seems like they've changed that up as well since they've began handling their own process. When the last promotion to conductor exam was officially established they extended the last O/C exam 8094 the same day until Feb '18 and pasued hiring from the O/C exam until they exhausted the promo list and then they resumed hiring from the O/C. So really it's anyone's guess at this point. I honestly wish they were more transparent in a timely manner.

The bottom line is like you said the people who just took this test have atleast a year and a half wait before they can expect to hear anything.

If I had to give it a guess, I'd say by January to March 2019 folks should expect to hear something from TA. This is crazy, but it's the reality of TA doing their own exams. I knew things would get worst with them running the show. When I took my exam for Station Agent in April of 2004, I was contacted and hired by January of 2006. But back then DCAS was running the show, and things ran a lot smoother.

Station Supervisor

First of all, welcome to the site! Glad you found your way down to the Transit Employment Topics!!

As far as the answer to your question - obviously the answer is a high score, however it all comes down to your list number, and how fast they move down the list. Another example is the Track Worker list. Based on that easy 40-question exam, close to 11,000 people are waiting to being called, and in reality, they may only call the first either 2,500 people. Now, if that exam was harder, in which they could have had 60 or 80 questions compared to 40, then the list might not be as long, with 12,000+ people, and the scores for the first 2,500 people might have not been a 95 or higher, respectively.

Therefore, although you may be excited to obtain your score, you have to wait until the list comes out to see not only where you stand, but who also scored higher than you as well.

Thanks for the detail, I just checked and got 4 wrong. 93.3%. Guess it all falls under social security numbers to break the ties now.

That is awesome, most city tests I've taken always use the last 4 social to break ties regardless when you've taken it.

The same will be used on this exam, as DCAS still handles and certifies the list numbers of candidates to be called in for pre-employment.

Station Supervisor

I realize that it is based on a few different factors that have been discussed above such as how fast they establish the list and etc, etc.. But, ballpark or best guess, with my "tentative" score of an 86.6666666, if it stays the same after the protest session: First, what are my chances? And I mean real chances of a call for pre-employment, and, as asked before by others, how long roughly? A few have higher scores than I, so...just venturing a guess here would be fine. Just wondering. 2 years? 3 solid years? 4 years? Good thing I am also taking the B/O exams coming up as well  :rolleyes:

Also, can anyone give a synopsis or a rundown of what happens when they do call/contact you for pre-employment? 

Thanks..

Edited by JV620

I realize that it is based on a few different factors that have been discussed above such as how fast they establish the list and etc, etc.. But, ballpark or best guess, with my "tentative" score of an 86.6666666, if it stays the same after the protest session: First, what are my chances? And I mean real chances of a call for pre-employment, and, as asked before by others, how long roughly? A few have higher scores than I, so...just venturing a guess here would be fine. Just wondering. 2 years? 3 solid years? 4 years? Good thing I am also taking the B/O exams coming up as well :rolleyes:

Also, can anyone give a synopsis or a rundown of what happens when they do call/contact you for pre-employment?

Thanks..

Honestly the way TA is doing these exams it's not so cut and dry when you'll get called. Honestly with your score it depends on how many people passed the exam with a higher score than you. If say 3K to 4K people scored higher than you, then that'll lower your chances of being called. Best thing to do is keep taking any and every exam you qualify for and hope for the best.

Station Supervisor

You have to remember that people will move, they might not be ready to come on board so the will remove themself, may fail the drug test, may be placed on medical hold(especially with this sleep apnea test for pre employment). There's many things so in the high 80s low 80s or even just passing I'm sure you will get a letter to attend pre employment. So people may down the job down for whatever reason. MTA won't wait for you to decide OK nows the right time they move along down the list. Now if person with a list number 50 decides OK now is the my time to go forth with the hiring process and the MTA is up list under 400 then since he is number 50 he will be the next class first because is list number.

I got one question wrong unfortunately. Anyone know if it is too late to register for the protest session. Or if for some reason someone protests the question I got wrong is it possible I can benefit from that? I worked so hard for this.