ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Yeah the conductors exam is moving fast they're already up to the 1300s with an upcoming class April 1st. I'm in the 1400s on that exam so I'll be called for conductor first before I'm called for T/O.

If I may pass some advice along.

Wait for the TO call. Don’t go for conductor. Word through the grapevine is that this was the last open competitive TO exam. Best to go for it now.

Also, just updating; Yard posting now, doing mostly PM tours, insanely easy, can’t wait to start road ops.

Edited by Jay-Oh

27 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

If I may pass some advice along.

Wait for the TO call. Don’t go for conductor. Word through the grapevine is that this was the last open competitive TO exam. Best to go for it now.

Also, just updating; Yard posting now, doing mostly PM tours, insanely easy, can’t wait to start road ops.

I was going to but I dont know how long it's going to take for them to reach my list number which is in the 1300s and apparently someone stated that theres a freeze 

28 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I was going to but I dont know how long it's going to take for them to reach my list number which is in the 1300s and apparently someone stated that theres a freeze 

Listen do not let the conductor opportunity pass . I’m sorry but I don’t know what kind of advice that was. Listen If you come in as conductor that’s fine , when they reach you for train operator you can leave as well . The only thing is that if you haven’t passed probation as a conductor and you don’t like train operator or can’t pass the training then you won’t have conductor to fall back on in the event you hadn’t passed probation . And besides if you come in as a conductor, they’ll always have promotional to train operator . What ever you decide take whatever comes first don’t let anything pass waiting for another . 

2 hours ago, Imhim said:

There are a lot of conductor classes!! My last week of YX I saw a TSS and he said he was having a new conductor class starting the following day! If there is a freeze or isn’t again just stay up to date with Ms Vargas and here, I’m sure we’ll get word of the next T/O class once someone’s called! 

What's funny is that I actually encountered another C/O later that day who told me there is a freeze, but not for RTO. Which would line up with the other threads. If there was a full freeze, no way people would be getting called down ton Livingston next week, right?

18 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

Listen do not let the conductor opportunity pass . I’m sorry but I don’t know what kind of advice that was. Listen If you come in as conductor that’s fine , when they reach you for train operator you can leave as well . The only thing is that if you haven’t passed probation as a conductor and you don’t like train operator or can’t pass the training then you won’t have conductor to fall back on in the event you hadn’t passed probation . And besides if you come in as a conductor, they’ll always have promotional to train operator . What ever you decide take whatever comes first don’t let anything pass waiting for another . 

Yeah I'm not going to let conductor pass up because who knows when train operator will call. I don't want to pass up conductor and then I'm stuck waiting until the T/O is over. 

54 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Here is what you should do...Take the conductors position...Defer the T/O position until you complete your probation as conductor. Once you make your year, then take the T.O position. By that time, your number may have been called, so you will probably be included in the very next class they schedule. Then if you fail or dont like t.o., your posituon as conductor will be safe!!

7 minutes ago, Pauliepaulie said:

Here is what you should do...Take the conductors position...Defer the T/O position until you complete your probation as conductor. Once you make your year, then take the T.O position. By that time, your number may have been called, so you will probably be included in the very next class they schedule. Then if you fail or dont like t.o., your posituon as conductor will be safe!!

Oh so if I leave conductor for T/O and I end up failing or not liking it then I'll lose conductor? Unless probation is over?

3 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Oh so if I leave conductor for T/O and I end up failing or not liking it then I'll lose conductor? Unless probation is over?

Correct...you need to hold the position for 1 year(probation is over)...so not too bad, cause even if t.o passes your number, as long as you defer it and stay on the list, when you are ready to go for t.o., you'll be in the next class available.

2 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

What's funny is that I actually encountered another C/O later that day who told me there is a freeze, but not for RTO. Which would line up with the other threads. If there was a full freeze, no way people would be getting called down ton Livingston next week, right?

Yeah I don’t listen to these crew room lawyers! These ppl just be talking to talk! Conductors are coming in, not heavy I believe like 30-40 an induction class, but they’re still coming in! I saw a class at 248 at the beginning of the month doing their track safety.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:19 AM, Yas said:

Are we allowed to appeal our score because when I originally checked my answers for the train operator test I got a higher grade? Now it shows a lower score. This doesn’t make sense.

They had to adjust scores and lost numbers cause 1 session was not graded properly, one of the answers was incorrect

On 3/12/2019 at 12:02 AM, Schecter said:

Yeah I'm not going to let conductor pass up because who knows when train operator will call. I don't want to pass up conductor and then I'm stuck waiting until the T/O is over. 

Definitely don’t pass it up. Your experience as a conductor will help only you as a train operator. You’ll learn how the system works, the culture down here, lingo, and if you become a T/O in the same division as the one you were a C/R you’ll be somewhat familiar with the lines and things like the points of no return. 

I don’t mean this as a slight to anyone who started off the street, but I honestly prefer working with T/O’s who started in the middle. There’s certain things like communication (very important) and helping out that promos (generally not all) seem to do better. 

This list won’t expire until atleast 2022 and you can always take the next promotional so you really have nothing to lose. Goodluck in whatever decision you make.

23 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Definitely don’t pass it up. Your experience as a conductor will help only you as a train operator. You’ll learn how the system works, the culture down here, lingo, and if you become a T/O in the same division as the one you were a C/R you’ll be somewhat familiar with the lines and things like the points of no return. 

I don’t mean this as a slight to anyone who started off the street, but I honestly prefer working with T/O’s who started in the middle. There’s certain things like communication (very important) and helping out that promos (generally not all) seem to do better. 

This list won’t expire until atleast 2022 and you can always take the next promotional so you really have nothing to lose. Goodluck in whatever decision you make.

But when do train operator promos happen? And will they pop up on the MTA exams or will they only show when we work for the MTA already?

6 hours ago, LIRRMedford said:

They had to adjust scores and lost numbers cause 1 session was not graded properly, one of the answers was incorrect

That’s crazy! You lose 5 points for one incorrect answer?

Edited by Yas

4 hours ago, Schecter said:

But when do train operator promos happen? And will they pop up on the MTA exams or will they only show when we work for the MTA already?

This list is still going to be good for 3.5 years. By the time you pass probation as a conductor you can call DCAS, reinstate your name, and you’ll be in the very first class after that. No need to worry about promotional exam. 

So this is kinda random, but I saw a one-armed TSS this week (who said he thinks a class might get called next week). I'm sure he can operate something like a 160, but how the hell do you operate a r32 or r6a with a single arm??? I took three looks at him and was like HUUH? 

5 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

So this is kinda random, but I saw a one-armed TSS this week (who said he thinks a class might get called next week). I'm sure he can operate something like a 160, but how the hell do you operate a r32 or r6a with a single arm??? I took three looks at him and was like HUUH? 

I sure do hope that TSS is right, I spoke to ms vargas this week she said she hadn't gotten any approvals yet. She also stated that they are sending the DT do overs via mail correspondence, has anyone gotten a letter to return for any expired DTs?

Edited by Nexdup

1 hour ago, Nexdup said:

I sure do hope that TSS is right, I spoke to ms vargas this week she said she hadn't gotten any approvals yet. She also stated that they are sending the DT do overs via mail correspondence, has anyone gotten a letter to return for any expired DTs?

16XX...nothing yet...DT expired 2/28/19

1 hour ago, Nexdup said:

90x.. Mine expired February 16th and I haven't gotten anything yet. I'll post as soon as I do. 

11 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

It’s preferred you to take the road practical on a R68A, but he definitely can operate all the 2-handed equipment! There were allegedly 4 Superintendents when he was taking his practicals and he climbed up and did his thing! 

I was told from two people that I know who work at transit that the next class will be in May. I’m not sure who my friend asked, but he was asking around a lot for me because he wants me to get in. 

Keep in mind nothing is official but this is what he found out and I’m not sure from who. Honestly this seems about right  though the last class was the end January so that’s a 3 month gap. Also they have been short instructors so May kind of makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Imhim said:

It’s preferred you to take the road practical on a R68A, but he definitely can operate all the 2-handed equipment! There were allegedly 4 Superintendents when he was taking his practicals and he climbed up and did his thing! 

But how though?