ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upcoming class should be April 29th.

53 minutes ago, CJ21292 said:

I dont mean to sound dumb cause this might be a dumb question but what happens when your are called in for pre employment and how are you notified about when to come in for that? my list number is 21*4

You’ll receive a letter in the mail.

47 minutes ago, Invzo1019 said:

Does points on your drivers license matter?I know with bus operator you can’t have more then 4 points.  Does the same apply to train operator with points on your license?   

No it doesn’t matter.

11 hours ago, Invzo1019 said:

Does points on your drivers license matter?I know with bus operator you can’t have more then 4 points.  Does the same apply to train operator with points on your license?   

Kinda makes you wonder why the driver license requirement, anyway?  I don't think the previous T/O test had a license requirement at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if T/O required a CDL license in the next few years! It doesn't make sense, but it seems they are making it harder and more frustrating. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:56 AM, msmcmillan said:

Kinda makes you wonder why the driver license requirement, anyway?  I don't think the previous T/O test had a license requirement at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if T/O required a CDL license in the next few years! It doesn't make sense, but it seems they are making it harder and more frustrating. 

IIRC, the requirements for the last exam which was held by DCAS were HS diploma or equivalent and five years full time work experience. Seems like MTA lowered the requirements for the most previous exam only requiring a drivers license and one year full time work experience with the same employer. 

1 hour ago, apokeguy said:

IIRC, the requirements for the last exam which was held by DCAS were HS diploma or equivalent and five years full time work experience. Seems like MTA lowered the requirements for the most previous exam only requiring a drivers license and one year full time work experience with the same employer. 

they required a permit not a license but in the response letter from my first appeal they claim I didn't have either. *shrugs*

14 hours ago, misslo said:

they required a permit not a license but in the response letter from my first appeal they claim I didn't have either. *shrugs*

14 hours ago, misslo said:

I just double checked the NOE for #7604, and qualifications are HS diploma or equivalent, drivers license valid in the state of NY and the one year work experience with the same employer. So looks like MTA lowered the required work experience but added the drivers license requirement. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:56 AM, msmcmillan said:

The reason they want drivers licenses is due to the belief that if you have a DL you've driven a vehicle so you should be able to somewhat judge momentum for going and stopping. They've had too many slide out of stations because they didn't grab enough brake and process that isn't enough or grab too much too early, release too much too late on trains that don't like that. Add in the fact schoolcar gives a needlessly over the top impression that honest mistakes claims jobs doesn;t help matters.

Now I've seen plenty of ppl w/o licenses go on and become excellent T/O with no problems. To those of you coming on w/o licenses or lil to no driving experience, First Congratulations. Second operating commercial vehicles of any type is NOT physically demanding, it is mentally demanding. Get your rest, watch your diet.   

3 hours ago, IronboundNJT said:

The reason they want drivers licenses is due to the belief that if you have a DL you've driven a vehicle so you should be able to somewhat judge momentum for going and stopping. They've had too many slide out of stations because they didn't grab enough brake and process that isn't enough or grab too much too early, release too much too late on trains that don't like that. Add in the fact schoolcar gives a needlessly over the top impression that honest mistakes claims jobs doesn;t help matters.

Now I've seen plenty of ppl w/o licenses go on and become excellent T/O with no problems. To those of you coming on w/o licenses or lil to no driving experience, First Congratulations. Second operating commercial vehicles of any type is NOT physically demanding, it is mentally demanding. Get your rest, watch your diet.   

Requiring a driver's license for this is basically weeding out lower socio economic people from entering this specific job/enabling people to have better quality lives. So you get the driver's license and then what? 🤔Like another poster stated if they start requiring CDLs. That's $700-$1000 per package depending on the school and also the probability of passing the road test.  I don't know.😪

4 hours ago, IronboundNJT said:

The reason they've decided to add the driver license requirement for the qualifications to become a T/O is because they want to know if you've had any kind of accident record that would indicate reckless driving. They don't want anyone whose been involved in numerous vehicle collisions to be at the controls of a subway train carrying hundreds of passengers. It's a job where you cannot afford to have any bad habits.

I hate that we have normalize the hoops we have to go through just to get a job, especially one where there is security and stability. Requiring a driver's license/permit is a scam🤣 lol when it comes to driving or moving a train. If they want a license/permit they should require one specific for trains like a CDL for bus. Cause requiring a driver's license/permit for trains doesn't prove anything. Ill report back if/when this appeal goes through.

5 minutes ago, misslo said:

I hate that we have normalize the hoops we have to go through just to get a job, especially one where there is security and stability. Requiring a driver's license/permit is a scam🤣 lol when it comes to driving or moving a train. If they want a license/permit they should require one specific for trains like a CDL for bus. Cause requiring a driver's license/permit for trains doesn't prove anything. Ill report back if/when this appeal goes through.

I was thinking the same thing I was like why do we need a divers license to operate a train doesn't make sense. Watch the next T/O exam require people to have a train operator license through the DMV 🤣

Think about it. Would you want to be on a train with an operator with a bunch of points for speeding or a talking on his cellphone? 

It may not be the same vehicle, but it helps add another layer of evaluation. A to is responsible for countless lives on a daily basis. Personally I have no issue with the requirement nor would I if I didn't have a driver's license because, objectively speaking, I get it. 

7 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Think about it. Would you want to be on a train with an operator with a bunch of points for speeding or a talking on his cellphone? 

It may not be the same vehicle, but it helps add another layer of evaluation. A to is responsible for countless lives on a daily basis. Personally I have no issue with the requirement nor would I if I didn't have a driver's license because, objectively speaking, I get it. 

I agree being responsible for millions of lives and then having points or crashes or accidents with a car can be applied with how reliable you'll be when operating a train. Like would the operator be the type of person to eat the red light and get the train tripped? Or would he go over the speed limit on a GT sign and then derail the train?

46 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I agree being responsible for millions of lives and then having points or crashes or accidents with a car can be applied with how reliable you'll be when operating a train. Like would the operator be the type of person to eat the red light and get the train tripped? Or would he go over the speed limit on a GT sign and then derail the train?

I don’t think that’s all the way true! Nobody knows why they put that, because I had A LOT of points on my license, when I got called shyt I just plead guilty to a bogus speeding violation! However I caught all my tickets in a bad 6-8 months when I just couldn’t catch a break! Before that I didn’t have a violation for like 7/8 years! I reported all on my background and I got the job! Ppl down here will tell you, there are ppl who don’t have a drivers license, as their exam didn’t require one and they’re great operators. Then you have ppl who do have a drivers license and are horrible operators or just can’t get the understanding of how to control a train. Your history doesn’t exactly go hand in hand with the concept of operating a train! 

7 minutes ago, Imhim said:

I don’t think that’s all the way true! Nobody knows why they put that, because I had A LOT of points on my license, when I got called shyt I just plead guilty to a bogus speeding violation! However I caught all my tickets in a bad 6-8 months when I just couldn’t catch a break! Before that I didn’t have a violation for like 7/8 years! I reported all on my background and I got the job! Ppl down here will tell you, there are ppl who don’t have a drivers license, as their exam didn’t require one and they’re great operators. Then you have ppl who do have a drivers license and are horrible operators or just can’t get the understanding of how to control a train. Your history doesn’t exactly go hand in hand with the concept of operating a train! 

Yeah I agree. The exam listing said you have to have a license for the position. It never said it had to be a clean one. Do pilots have to have clean licenses to be great pilots? I doubt it. I’m sure quite a few have bad licenses but great flying skills.

It could be used for many reasons. One is To help expedite background checks, name validations etc. having a nys license means another city agency already went through some type of paper work to authorize a legal state identification.

Processing 1000+ individuals each year accurately is not an easy task. Especially one where you let one bad apple through, all that can fall on the MTA and could risk peoples lives because a thourough background was not conducted.

i do agree with saying having a license don’t mean you can drive a train. Some have a license and can’t even drive! I believe there’s more to it than we know. If they allow a license as proper ID to fly domestic. There has to be more to it than just to say “you can drive” with it.

Yeahs..A lot of the posts on DL are wild. That one about socio-economic I'll assume is joking. NYCT has many problems but one thing that is fact and impressive is that it has some really low requirements to gain jobs that pay anywhere from the low 20 to 30 per hour. 

While it's not really one thing, I assure you it mainly the momentum thing. Once you guys get into school car and you get onto the SMEE there is a delay on the speedo when it is working, and TSS will tell you to "feel" the train. It'll make more sense once your in. 

NYCT does a thorough enough background check and weight things properly...most times. Being safety sensitive, yes they don't want reckless ppl. However this company offers substance abuse programs for all.

3 hours ago, IronboundNJT said:

Yeahs..A lot of the posts on DL are wild. That one about socio-economic I'll assume is joking. NYCT has many problems but one thing that is fact and impressive is that it has some really low requirements to gain jobs that pay anywhere from the low 20 to 30 per hour. 

While it's not really one thing, I assure you it mainly the momentum thing. Once you guys get into school car and you get onto the SMEE there is a delay on the speedo when it is working, and TSS will tell you to "feel" the train. It'll make more sense once your in. 

NYCT does a thorough enough background check and weight things properly...most times. Being safety sensitive, yes they don't want reckless ppl. However this company offers substance abuse programs for all.

Hey,☺️ I am not trying to argue or derail this post. "That one about socio-economic I'll assume is joking. NYCT has many problems but one thing that is fact and impressive is that it has some really low requirements to gain jobs that pay anywhere from the low 20 to 30 per hour." 

I am not joking, I don't know how far along in life you are and I'm not discrediting you either but ummm shit aint really sweet. Companies requiring DL and Credit Scores is a cute way to keep certain demographic of people out and just makes the application process that more difficult. Having those things doesn't really prove how effective you will be at a job. $10 for a NYS ID. $77 for a permit, up to $300 for a driving package to maybe pass or fail a road test and to maybe get on a list for an exam for a job you may, or  may not get.

That's that on that.😚