ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again for all who have provided info.

I am curious (hoping some of you who are already at MTA can answer this): what are the pay/promotional opportunities for train operators after getting off probation? I know the hourly rate at 40 hours a week comes out to around 66k. How much overtime is there? Does the pay increase with time? What higher paying positions could one possibly move to from the TO position? I would be leaving an established career to take this job (if I were to get offered he job which is still not a sure thing of course) so I am interested in the advancement possibilities. Thanks again.

I got one question wrong unfortunately. Anyone know if it is too late to register for the protest session. Or if for some reason someone protests the question I got wrong is it possible I can benefit from that? I worked so hard for this.

You'd have to see how long the protest period is to find out if it's too late or not. But if someone protested the question you got wrong and pleaded the case of why it should be correct you'd benefit from that protested question. But only getting one answer wrong is still a great score so relax. You'll be fine.

Station Supervisor

Edited by WillBx718

You'd have to see how long the protest period is to find out if it's too late or not. But if someone protested the question you got wrong and pleaded the case of why it should be correct you'd benefit from that protested question. But only getting one answer wrong is still a great score so relax. You'll be fine.

Thanks Will

Edited by Jeytrain

The protest session starts august 1 I believe so you still have time. All of the info is on that orange sheet you were permitted to take with you where you wrote down your answer choices.

Yeah I see now. Ill give the provided number a call. It appears I was supposed to call to register this past Friday. Thanks.

Another question (sorry for asking so many): I just looked up the last OC exam and the list says it was established in 2012 for the 2009 exam? That seems like a really long time and this was handled by DCAS so why is everyone saying DCAS was faster?

Another question (sorry for asking so many): I just looked up the last OC exam and the list says it was established in 2012 for the 2009 exam? That seems like a really long time and this was handled by DCAS so why is everyone saying DCAS was faster?

When DCAS used to administer and grade the exams you could expect to recieve your official score and list number in the mail within 8-12 months. Now that the MTA themselves are handling their own exams it takes over a year just to recieve your score.

I don't know when 8098 was published,but let's take the conductors exam for example. The C/R exam 8094 was given in Dec 2008 and the official scores were published in Aug 2009 (8 months after) while the list was 'established' in 2011. The last conductor exam 6601 was given April-May of 2016 and they still haven't published the official results.

Also, in the past after a promotional exam was established and hired from the last O/C was done with and they moved onto the next one after they finished with the promo. Now they're going back to the old O/C exams after they're finished hiring from the promo. Ever since transit started handling their own process they've been slower and doing things differently.

Edited by Jchambers2120

A little off topic exam-wise but If you Google search the list from Exam #8098, the list established something like 11K names on it for T/O. I wonder how far they got on names from that list. Just for kicks, I compared my score to the list number on that one. So if I was to use a reference from that list, based on my score, I would be around #5242-43. Insanity. I actually believe that MORE people probably took (and possibly passed) this test recently that we just had though as crazy as it sounds. Not sure if the link will work but if you want to check it out: 

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thechiefleader.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/e5/fe5b6146-0740-11e2-a3c5-001a4bcf6878/5061fbb6d0fef.pdf.pdf

Last list went up to around 8200...hope with a 93.3 I'll get called. Who knows how many people took this exam that scored higher than that

It's a high probability you'll get called. But in the meantime continue to take other exams that you qualify for. Just to keep your options open.

Station Supervisor

Another one: what is MTA policy regarding being heavily tattooed? Nothing visible when wearing a suit but otherwise covered.

As long as you dont have a swastika tatted in your forehead you should be fine. Ill have to check my rulebook but i doubt theres anything in there about tats.

Thanks again for all who have provided info.

I am curious (hoping some of you who are already at MTA can answer this): what are the pay/promotional opportunities for train operators after getting off probation? I know the hourly rate at 40 hours a week comes out to around 66k. How much overtime is there? Does the pay increase with time? What higher paying positions could one possibly move to from the TO position? I would be leaving an established career to take this job (if I were to get offered he job which is still not a sure thing of course) so I am interested in the advancement possibilities. Thanks again.

I dont have the papers in front of me at the moment but i can tell you that top pay for T/O is $35 and some change/hr. T/Os can easily make 120k+ a year because of all the OT available plus the ability to work one of your days off, Do layups at the end of your run etc. Dont go by base pay because, outside of schoolcar, your always going to make more than that due to OT (some runs have OT built in). From Train Op you can promote to a supervision position like TSS or Train Dispatcher, but most TSS will tell you,even though the base for TSS is higher, youll wind up making less because your hours are more stable. It really comes down to how much time you want to spend at work.

As for the one year of full time work. Does this have to be in the current job or overall work history? I have 5 years full time work with a company from 2011-2016. But since then I have had multiple jobs since getting my CDL license. Right now i have a full time position and dont expect a call for another 2 years anyway but for example if for some incredible reason they call sooner than later, am I not eligble?

As for the one year of full time work. Does this have to be in the current job or overall work history? I have 5 years full time work with a company from 2011-2016. But since then I have had multiple jobs since getting my CDL license. Right now i have a full time position and dont expect a call for another 2 years anyway but for example if for some incredible reason they call sooner than later, am I not eligble?

The position only requires one year of full time work. From what you posted you have far more than that, so no worries.

Station Supervisor

As long as you dont have a swastika tatted in your forehead you should be fine. Ill have to check my rulebook but i doubt theres anything in there about tats.

The rules do not mention ink specifically, however 10a and 10b talk about preventing adverse critism from the public/superiors and avoiding personal behavior, attire unsuitable for public service respectively.

That being said, I've seen plenty of workers down here with ink, and those who are mindful do wear long sleeve shirts/undershirts and cover up their necks even during the summer time.

TL:DR use common sense and be reasonable.

I ended up with 7 wrong. Congrats to all who passed. My son took the last conductor exam and still no list yet. He also took the BTO exam over two years ago and still no list out for that exam. I would recommend that you encourage younger family members to start taking exams at the age of 16 since the Wait time can extend eight years. I think even with 7 wrong I'll get the call some day. Best of luck to everyone.

Yet another question: I am hearing/reading mixed things about how a tie breaker is settles i.e. the date you registered for the exam vs. the last 5 of your social, can anyone provide some info on this? I waited about 2 weeks to register because the website was not working for the first few days but the last 5 of my social starts with 0 so that would obviously be a plus for me.