ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

44 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

We actually had somebody from the front office answering questions. Delayed the process a bit because he was cool enough to answer every question asked. 

One thing I heard that is weird is some lady (I assume Ms Vargas but idk what she looks like) said we might not get to pick for 2 and a half years and might not get weekends off for 10 years lol. I hope this is just a gross exaggeration. 

Its not an exaggeration lol. I'm still in schoolcar from the december class but the most recent picks just happened. And jobs that don't have weekends go quick. So 10 years  yeah. And as far as a pick for 2 and a half years, that's true too. And even 2 1/2 years in you might not get  a great pick. Mostly late PM, mid nights and a lot of weekends. What you can do though is for those first 2 1/2 3 years is keep your eye on the open job list. You can bid on those jobs and if no one with higher seniority bids on the jobs you do then its yours. Granted most likely it will be once again late PM, Mid Nights, and weekends and mostly temps jobs that won't last for to long , but It can provide a consistent regular schedule for you for a little while instead of random jobs at random times as XX or X. I know that's my plan as soon as I'm out of schoolcar. Gunning for a bid job. I am actually fine being up for mid nights, so hopefully can pull a job on my favorite line since a kid :P

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

We actually had somebody from the front office answering questions. Delayed the process a bit because he was cool enough to answer every question asked. 

One thing I heard that is weird is some lady (I assume Ms Vargas but idk what she looks like) said we might not get to pick for 2 and a half years and might not get weekends off for 10 years lol. I hope this is just a gross exaggeration. 

lol yeah this isn’t an exaggeration! Again they tell you at orientation, this job is 24/7 365, seniority based. If you think it’s a game, it’s not, I live in Brooklyn and spent most of my YX in the Bronx. You’re at the discretion of the crew office, so be prepared to be sent all over the division on any tour! You’ll get used to it by the time you come out and if you get lucky enough you might be able to get a job during the vacancy bid, if not, extra extra list it will be. 

1 minute ago, Imhim said:

lol yeah this isn’t an exaggeration! Again they tell you at orientation, this job is 24/7 365, seniority based. If you think it’s a game, it’s not, I live in Brooklyn and spent most of my YX in the Bronx. You’re at the discretion of the crew office, so be prepared to be sent all over the division on any tour! You’ll get used to it by the time you come out and if you get lucky enough you might be able to get a job during the vacancy bid, if not, extra extra list it will be. 

Caught up your last post, congrats on your bid. I didn’t win ish off the bid, but it’s all good the crew office been showing me love since this pick started with these *cough cough* 1 trippers. You in the A div also?

@acabral136 I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here, but yes what everyone is saying is true she’s not over exaggerating. I’ve met some T/O’s with 4-5 years on the job who have weekends off on the PM tour and one guy with S/M on the midnights, but to get AM’s with weekends it’ll take close to a decade. Seniority is everything down here. 

1 minute ago, Jchambers2120 said:

Caught up your last post, congrats on your bid. I didn’t win ish off the bid, but it’s all good the crew office been showing me love since this pick started with these *cough cough* 1 trippers. You in the A div also?

@acabral136 I’m not trying to beat a dead horse here, but yes what everyone is saying is true she’s not over exaggerating. I’ve met some T/O’s with 4-5 years on the job who have weekends off on the PM tour and one guy with S/M on the midnights, but to get AM’s with weekends it’ll take close to a decade. Seniority is everything down here. 

Nah I’m B division, it’s not bad at all now, I don’t drive so school car got me ready for all the bouncing around, it’s pretty much normal now to start on board at in the Bronx, pick up a job in queens, clear somewhere different lol. 

Damn I never heard anybody say 10 years before. It is what it is. 

But as far as the pick, Ive heard of people picking sooner than 2 and half years but I guess that's the norm. It's all good I'm prepared I'm just worried about what it'll do to the time I get to spend with my daughter. She starts school in September (she's 4) so I'm just hoping I get to spend some time with her at least. Tough but a man's gotta do what's necessary I guess. 

Edited by acabral136

I’m a little confused, I keep seeing people say they’re still in school car from classes in December but I thought it was like 100 something days the most out of both divisions. How is it lasting all these months?

8 minutes ago, Fortham5 said:

I’m a little confused, I keep seeing people say they’re still in school car from classes in December but I thought it was like 100 something days the most out of both divisions. How is it lasting all these months?

I believe 6 or 9 months depending on the division... (I think)

1 hour ago, Fortham5 said:

7 months for B, i think 5 for A. I started last week of November, and my final is on July 3rd.

Whoever told you school car for TO is 100 days gave you the wrong info.

Approximately 6 month for A div.

Approximately 8 months for B div.

Source: I’m in the December class. Our scheduled date to “graduate” is in late July.

15 minutes ago, Fortham5 said:

I could’ve sworn ms.vargas said during my 1st p/e that it was like 85 days of training for one & 115 days of training for the other. Guess I heard wrong.

I heard the same thing as well, as a matter of fact I recorded that part when she gave basic information about the position on my phone. It wasn’t  ms Vargas but it was another lady. That was the info given to me. C’mon MTA y’all can’t be giving out wrong info lmao. 

I could’ve sworn ms.vargas said during my 1st p/e that it was like 85 days of training for one & 115 days of training for the other. Guess I heard wrong.

It is 115 days in the B division. 5 days in a week. That's 23 weeks which is about 5 months. If you add the 2 months of YX it comes up to a little over 7 months. If there are any holidays while you're in training, it pushes you up to the 8 month mark. Info is correct but just a little misleading. 

2 hours ago, Schecter said:

Has anybody ever talked to the guy named Kevin who answers the phone sometimes... he helps and is always straight forward and he talks very fast 

Kevin is the guy at the front desk when you get your ticket when you first go into PE. He's the guy on the left. He is def very informative and tries to help out with every single question.

1 hour ago, LIRRMedford said:

Kevin is the guy at the front desk when you get your ticket when you first go into PE. He's the guy on the left. He is def very informative and tries to help out with every single question.

Yeah he is so if anybody has question when you call 180 he would definitely help you out and he's also very helpful with questions pertaining the homework we get.

Today was a long ass day. The lab got put on hold from 11am to 2pm. I got there before 7am and still ended up leaving at 4:30pm and there were still a good 20 to 30 people waiting behind me. 

For 1st timers, prepare to be there all day and don't forget your chargers! Lol

33 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Today was a long ass day. The lab got put on hold from 11am to 2pm. I got there before 7am and still ended up leaving at 4:30pm and there were still a good 20 to 30 people waiting behind me. 

For 1st timers, prepare to be there all day and don't forget your chargers! Lol

Yeah getting there early doesn't mean anything because the lab is always backed up and put on hold I had someone there yesterday who was the first on line and didnt leave until 5 yesterday

53 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Yeah getting there early doesn't mean anything because the lab is always backed up and put on hold I had someone there yesterday who was the first on line and didnt leave until 5 yesterday

Yea.. This was my 3rd and hopefully last pre-employment. That process is a pain in the ass. 

My employment history was fine in the 1st pe.. They even gave it back to me during my 2nd pe so I could copy it over again and use it again. Well it wasn't good enough today and I had to do it over again lol. In a couple of fields I wrote "worked single event security jobs and collected unemployment when there was no work". That wasn't good enough for the lady that reviewed my paperwork and I had to expand on that and name every company I worked for. That delayed me about an hour while I looked up company info for jobs I worked 1, 2 or 3 days in (I used to be a security guard and hopped around a lot. Did summer jam one year and worked for a company called strike force for one single day).

After I finished that's when she told me the lab was on hold for half an hour. That half an hour turned into 3 hours. 

A lot of patience is required but it'll be worth it in the end I hope. 

Edited by acabral136

Hope this puts some context into those waiting to be called. I had my P.E. on April 01. I received an e-mail to report for my medical on May 22 to be considered for the June 10 class. List number 4xx. Good luck to everyone.

Ok so this is how it goes . After the June class.  Comes july21 and Aug 18.

The classes should be 60 / 60 / 65.

Yes it is a fact , came straight from school car . 😀 that's 185 people which puts me in there.  I don't care which class it is . We got this . 

I am so ready to leave conductor . Want to move that train . (Which I've already done lol)

Edited by Conductor2015

10 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

Ok so this is how it goes . After the June class.  Comes july21 and Aug 18.

The classes should be 60 / 60 / 65.

Yes it is a fact , came straight from school car . 😀 that's 185 people which puts me in there.  I don't care which class it is . We got this . 

I am so ready to leave conductor . Want to move that train . (Which I've already done lol)

if you dont mind my asking whats your list number?

When I went for my first P/E late last year, folks were dressed in regular street clothes. I know the packet states Business Casual. Can anyone tell me what’s the “least acceptable” way to come dressed to Livingston? Last time I had on a full suit but if I can be a little more comfortable I prefer that lol.

15 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

When I went for my first P/E late last year, folks were dressed in regular street clothes. I know the packet states Business Casual. Can anyone tell me what’s the “least acceptable” way to come dressed to Livingston? Last time I had on a full suit but if I can be a little more comfortable I prefer that lol.

i wore a polo and slacks and cheap dress shoes when i went 

23 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

Bro wear whatever you want. I saw a guy in sweats and a yankee jersey. Tons of guys in jeans and polo shirts. I always play it careful and wear dress shoes and slacks and a dress shirt and then I'm uncomfortable. Then I get there and regret it when I see dudes dressed like they just came from hanging out on the block. 

The most I've ever heard anyone say is "please remove your hats". 

3 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

Bro wear whatever you want. I saw a guy in sweats and a yankee jersey. Tons of guys in jeans and polo shirts. I always play it careful and wear dress shoes and slacks and a dress shirt and then I'm uncomfortable. Then I get there and regret it when I see dudes dressed like they just came from hanging out on the block. 

The most I've ever heard anyone say is "please remove your hats". 

37 minutes ago, Fredman0220 said:

When I went to P/E back in Nov I saw a dude dressed like a pimp. I saw some over dressed, some dressed casual, some in jogging pants, some in buisness attire, and some in regular street clothes. I don't think it really matters what you wear as long as your paper work is correct. Lol! I wore a hoodie sweater, jeans, and rain boots because it was raining that day. I was the first one there on line and left by 2p.m.