ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

12 minutes ago, Schecter said:

I would go to my PE on June 10th but the problem is I start conductor June 10th and have to be at my location at 8am that day and then Tuesday at Coney island at 7am.

Ask to go this Friday coming . Explain to them the issue and that you dont want to give up train OP yet and see what they say. They process train op every day for the last weeks . And I've done that before.  I was given the opportunity once to go a day early once before for a different promotion.  Try it .

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Conductor2015 said:

Ask to go this Friday coming . Explain to them the issue and that you dont want to give up train OP yet and see what they say. They process train op every day for the last weeks . And I've done that before.  I was given the opportunity once to go a day early once before for a different promotion.  Try it .

Cool thanks do I ask to speak to someone specifically because usually Kevin answers the phone.

On a small off tangent til more updates come in, we know that transit takes a toll on workers’ personal lives, at least for a time and even beyond (ie no holidays or weekends off for years and the xtra list). 

Im mentally preparing for that change in my life, working some overnight shifts at my floating front desk job. For current t/o’sand c/r’s, how did you/how do you adjust to having such reduced time for other things? Or maybe you still find time? Just wondering 

and on another tangent, I kinda feel it sucks that c/r’s are the bosses of these trains but get paid substantially less than t/os. I know t/o training is longer and more challenging but being a c/r isn’t a walk in the park either. It would be nice if they got paid more in the new contract.

7 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

On a small off tangent til more updates come in, we know that transit takes a toll on workers’ personal lives, at least for a time and even beyond (ie no holidays or weekends off for years and the xtra list). 

Im mentally preparing for that change in my life, working some overnight shifts at my floating front desk job. For current t/o’sand c/r’s, how did you/how do you adjust to having such reduced time for other things? Or maybe you still find time? Just wondering 

and on another tangent, I kinda feel it sucks that c/r’s are the bosses of these trains but get paid substantially less than t/os. I know t/o training is longer and more challenging but being a c/r isn’t a walk in the park either. It would be nice if they got paid more in the new contract.

I agree with your last tangent. When I found out how much Conductors get paid I was shocked it was so much less than TOs. I hope they correct that. 

5 minutes ago, acabral136 said:

I agree with your last tangent. When I found out how much Conductors get paid I was shocked it was so much less than TOs. I hope they correct that. 

Yeah. They can even go down for the t/os mistakes.

21 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

For me personally it’s a somewhat easy adjustment since I don’t have kids and I’m young so my body can adapt to the crazy schedule. I’ve always wanted to operate a train since I was a kid so that helps keep me motivated to keep pushing. Plus I’m not really much of a social person anyway so the weekends part doesn’t bother me.  This job can be rough for someone who has a wife/kids though.

And that C/R being in charge of the train thing is BS IMO. Yes, I know there are bulletins about that (which I’m not going to post in here) but in reality RCC is in charge of these trains. When anything goes wrong one of the first things you’re doing is calling them anyway. Me & my partner are a team out there I’m not the boss of anything. Yes, as a C/R you have certain responsibilities and must obey such, I just think at face value in charge seems to be a stretch. 

8 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

For me personally it’s a somewhat easy adjustment since I don’t have kids and I’m young so my body can adapt to the crazy schedule. I’ve always wanted to operate a train since I was a kid so that helps keep me motivated to keep pushing. Plus I’m not really much of a social person anyway so the weekends part doesn’t bother me.  This job can be rough for someone who has a wife/kids though.

And that C/R being in charge of the train thing is BS IMO. Yes, I know there are bulletins about that (which I’m not going to post in here) but in reality RCC is in charge of these trains. When anything goes wrong one of the first things you’re doing is calling them anyway. Me & my partner are a team out there I’m not the boss of anything. Yes, as a C/R you have certain responsibilities and must obey such, I just think at face value in charge seems to be a stretch. 

Hm but doesn’t the t/o have to follow your instructions and seldom the other way around? You can decide to take the train oos on your own or you need excuse to do that?

and have you personally had a harder time with family and friend outings since starting? I know you said you aren’t much of a social person but has that aspect changed much?

Edited by MarkGuy
Sorry instead of excuse I meant rcc.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:16 PM, MarkGuy said:

Actually it's not all too bad as you may think.  Look I was able to pick a job as a conductor when I was about 8 months into the job and still probation . Back when I started they were just starting out hiring hundreds of people so many jobs where available to pick.  I picked vacation relief and ever since I've been vacation relief for about 4 years.  I love it!! Extra extra almost all my jobs where close to home and they try to keep it that way . Here and there yes you will travel at times . But it'll all be worth it . And yes there are temporary bids that one can bid on after the picks go into effect . Trust me it ain't so bad . I work 6 days cause the overtime is available and i have a 6 year old son and sadly I dont spend much time with him but I'm a single parent so it must get done.  In the end it'll be hell of a worth it when I'm buying him our own house and stuff like that 

Edited by +Young+

The TWU 100 website states "Negotiations on wages, benefits and other local-wide issues (known as the “main table talks”) will begin within a few days.  Management has not budgeted any money for wage increases and has publicly stated they expect us to agree to a 3-yr. wage freeze and a big increase in what we pay for medical.  We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – that’s not happening!  

We are determined to negotiate a contract with improvements in both wages and benefits.  No one should have any illusions that these talks will be easy.  But our goals can be achieved.  We are counting on your active support to give us the leverage we need to accomplish this."

32 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Why do train operators get paid way more than conductors like a whole 12 dollars more an hour

The top pay difference isn't much more than $4-5.
Also, the reason why TOs get paid more is because of the level of engagement and responsibility in their job.

Conductors don't have an easy job, and they have to deal with a lot of BS that Train Ops don't, but in between stations, C/R's have a bit of downtime. Train Ops do not, we must pay full attention to everything on the road/radio/stations when operating. There cannot be a lapse in concentration or you risk your job.

Also, a CR going to TO is considered a promotional movement, so there's that.

Don't buy into the CR vs TO mentality, because at the end of the day, we're partners, and our shared goal is to do the job, and go home to our families the same way we came into work - alive, in one piece, and employed.

19 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Hm but doesn’t the t/o have to follow your instructions and seldom the other way around? You can decide to take the train oos on your own or you need excuse to do that?

and have you personally had a harder time with family and friend outings since starting? I know you said you aren’t much of a social person but has that aspect changed much?

In certain scenarios such as stopping short of the marker, or if something unsual happens on the road in a station yes we can give them insturctions like pull up to the proper marker or give them two buzzes to proceed, and yes t/o's can give us 'instructions' also like when to keep the doors open in a station. The only scenarios that I can think of off the top of my head where you yourself are taking the train oos is if you get assaulted and even then you would have to inform the RCC and be governed by their instructions. 

To the second question I'm not that close with my family to begin with so I'm not sure how to answer that lol. I did miss events that took place out of NY, but that's about it. I'm AM's so provided I'm not too tired I'm sure I'd be able to make it to a family event.

12 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

Actually it's not all too bad as you may think.  Look I was able to pick a job as a conductor when I was about 8 months into the job and still probation . Back when I started they were just starting out hiring hundreds of people so many jobs where available to pick.  I picked vacation relief and ever since I've been vacation relief for about 4 years.  I love it and plus who goes on vacation during holidays? People with time meaning holidays off. I have not worked a holiday in transit in 4 years . Christmas , new years I'm home . I only work the b.s. holidays because I choose too . Yes that won't be everyone's luck but for example this past holiday memorial day I think it was . If you are extra extra there are some people they just randomly give the day off too . My friend Is extra extra and was told to stay home. They gave him off without him requesting it.  With that being said your experience will be your own and everyone's experience is different.  In the b division living in the bronx for me worked wonders cause b division is geared towards Brooklyn.  Extra extra almost all my jobs where close to home and they try to keep it that way . Here and there yes you will travel at times . But it'll all be worth it . And yes there are temporary bids that one can bid on after the picks go into effect . Trust me it ain't so bad . I work 6 days cause the overtime is available and i have a 6 year old son and sadly I dont spend much time with him but I'm a single parent so it must get done.  In the end it'll be hell of a worth it when I'm buying him our own house and stuff like that 

8 months? Sheesh. I'll have a year and some change by the time i pick and if i miss this upcoming fall pick it'll be close to two years of being XX. And you're right about XX not being the worst thing ever. I live in Brooklyn and on Thanksgiving they have me a trip & a half job that started in the BX and ended in BK, gave me Xmas off(paid), New Years I sat on board all day brought the T/D food and put up calendars inside the terminal lol, and they switched my RDO's to S/M for Memorial day. Plus I've had weekend off or part of the weekend for 11 months now. Seems like the B div crew office is kuch friendlier than here in the A, sometimes i think ours is run by satan himself.

I hope im not drifting too far off topic just trying go give everyone an idea.

1 hour ago, MarkGuy said:

A lot of people misconstrue the relationship between TO and CR as one person being in charge of the other.

The relationship is set up with checks and balances to best promote safety and efficiency (yes, sometimes they don't go hand in hand nor are these two things always present).

I don't want to get into a full on description of what processes we need to follow when operating, but just know that the TO and CR are required to work in tandem.

A train being taken OOS is really up to RCC, the train crew just reports the issue(s) to control and they make that decision.

1 hour ago, Conductor2015 said:

Actually it's not all too bad as you may think.  Look I was able to pick a job as a conductor when I was about 8 months into the job and still probation . Back when I started they were just starting out hiring hundreds of people so many jobs where available to pick.  I picked vacation relief and ever since I've been vacation relief for about 4 years.  I love it and plus who goes on vacation during holidays? People with time meaning holidays off. I have not worked a holiday in transit in 4 years . Christmas , new years I'm home . I only work the b.s. holidays because I choose too . Yes that won't be everyone's luck but for example this past holiday memorial day I think it was . If you are extra extra there are some people they just randomly give the day off too . My friend Is extra extra and was told to stay home. They gave him off without him requesting it.  With that being said your experience will be your own and everyone's experience is different.  In the b division living in the bronx for me worked wonders cause b division is geared towards Brooklyn.  Extra extra almost all my jobs where close to home and they try to keep it that way . Here and there yes you will travel at times . But it'll all be worth it . And yes there are temporary bids that one can bid on after the picks go into effect . Trust me it ain't so bad . I work 6 days cause the overtime is available and i have a 6 year old son and sadly I dont spend much time with him but I'm a single parent so it must get done.  In the end it'll be hell of a worth it when I'm buying him our own house and stuff like that 

Wow. Could the same thing happen that we’ll be able to pick better schedules since they’re hiring so many t/o’s? I’m hoping but preparing for the worst. Like midnights with Monday and Tuesday off for like 6 years: does vr usually offer great rdos and time off?

41 minutes ago, Jchambers2120 said:

In certain scenarios such as stopping short of the marker, or if something unsual happens on the road in a station yes we can give them insturctions like pull up to the proper marker or give them two buzzes to proceed, and yes t/o's can give us 'instructions' also like when to keep the doors open in a station. The only scenarios that I can think of off the top of my head where you yourself are taking the train oos is if you get assaulted and even then you would have to inform the RCC and be governed by their instructions. 

To the second question I'm not that close with my family to begin with so I'm not sure how to answer that lol. I did miss events that took place out of NY, but that's about it. I'm AM's so provided I'm not too tired I'm sure I'd be able to make it to a family event.

8 months? Sheesh. I'll have a year and some change by the time i pick and if i miss this upcoming fall pick it'll be close to two years of being XX. And you're right about XX not being the worst thing ever. I live in Brooklyn and on Thanksgiving they have me a trip & a half job that started in the BX and ended in BK, gave me Xmas off(paid), New Years I sat on board all day brought the T/D food and put up calendars inside the terminal lol, and they switched my RDO's to S/M for Memorial day. Plus I've had weekend off or part of the weekend for 11 months now. Seems like the B div crew office is kuch friendlier than here in the A, sometimes i think ours is run by satan himself.

I hope im not drifting too far off topic just trying go give everyone an idea.

Oh ok thanks!

On 6/1/2019 at 10:30 PM, MarkGuy said:

Wow. Could the same thing happen that we’ll be able to pick better schedules since they’re hiring so many t/o’s? I’m hoping but preparing for the worst. Like midnights with Monday and Tuesday off for like 6 years: does vr usually offer great rdos and time off?

I've had weekends off since the beginning I love vr. The only thing is that every week your job changes but we pick 4 weeks at a time . I like to move around so it works for me. I can't do the same thing every day for a whole pick.  I'd lose my mind. Every one doesnt get midnight's as a matter of fact everyone gets PM easier than midnight's lol. And theres temp bids every pick . You can score a great job and do that for a little while till the following pick.  It's not that easy to get a day off . Its 20 days in advance and calling a number at midnight.  I went 2 years without ever calling out and you know that's great for your record!!

Edited by +Young+

12 minutes ago, Conductor2015 said:

I've had weekends off since the beginning I love vr. The only thing is that every week your job changes but we pick 4 weeks at a time . I like to move around so it works for me. I can't do the same thing every day for a whole pick.  I'd lose my mind. Every one doesnt get midnight's as a matter of fact everyone gets PM easier than midnight's lol. And theres temp bids every pick . You can score a great job and do that for a little while till the following pick.  And honestly mon Tues off is not the worst thing ever. Look to me middle of the week days off is the best,  you can handle your business and appointments without having to request days off. It's not that easy to get a day off . Its 20 days in advance and calling a number at midnight.  I went 2 years without ever calling out and you know that's great for your record. If you want to party. party on a Monday.  Who cares you dont need a crowd . I love going to a restaurant a Tuesday night and you get a table right away.  Weekends forget it . I get alot of weekends off now but when I have a chance I love a Monday off or a Wednesday off. I hate crowds,  especially with a 6 year old that hates waiting 😆

I hear ya. When I had weekdays off it felt so odd. Like the weeks went faster. Even though what you said is true about less crowds I also hate that it means I’ll have less time for friends who are off weekends. But it is what it is.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:38 PM, MarkGuy said:

I hear ya. When I had weekdays off it felt so odd. Like the weeks went faster. Even though what you said is true about less crowds I also hate that it means I’ll have less time for friends who are off weekends. But it is what it is.

Work for your money, you'll see your friends any day trust me . One thing I rescue about transit is that after 3 years that you finally get 4 weeks vacation whether it is on February or March or September,  you'll see how great it feels to have your paid week off and you can travel. It's a beautiful thing to get up and travel. 

Edited by +Young+